Reload this Page >

A Vegetarian in Paris: Is there hope?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 1997, 06:38 PM
Gigi

I have been a vegetarian for 3 years and will be traveling to Paris with a girlfriend who is not. We would like to eat casually, at cafes and such throughout the day. Am I going to have a hard time finding vegetarian fare while she eats regular food?

Old Jan 2nd, 1998, 12:53 AM
joelle

Cafes and restaurants in Paris are getting used to the fact that there are vegetarian people! You should always be able to order a salad or vegetables. I can recommend the Aquarius restaurant, rue de Gergovie in the 14th arrondissement which is a nice little vegetarian restaurant.

Old Jan 2nd, 1998, 06:07 AM
Leslie

I've been a vegetarian for 15 years, I've traveled all over Europe... and I've found France to be the most difficult country to be a vegetarian in. Pizza and omelettes (assuming you eat eggs and cheese) is pretty much all you can get. Indian restaurants are another good bet. The UK, by the way, is absolutely the *best* country to be a vegetarian in. Every hamburger joint, steak house, pub, everywhere has several vegetarian options.

Old Jan 3rd, 1998, 06:54 PM
Teri

"Travel & Leisure" Jan. '98, page 20 (credit where credit is due!) recommends La Truffe (31 Rue Vieille-du-Temple; 33-1/42-71-08-39); dinner for two $55. Also, listing of vegetarian restaurants at www.veg.org/veg. But, really! Don't cheat yourself of a great experience - try a peasant's plate of roast chicken in Paris, you won't regret it!

Old Jan 15th, 1998, 08:10 AM
Bhavna Kapur

Hi,
My husband & I are vegetarians and we have been to France, Italy and Switzerland in Europe. In Paris in an italian restaurant you can get good vegetarian Pasta. I remeber eating in Pigal in Paris. Most places will custom make it for you without the meat even if they don't have it on the menu, other than that you will mostly have to make do with a sandwich with tomato, lettuce and cheese. But there bread is excellent.Learning the french words for no meat and no fish will help.
Hope this helps.
Bhavna