Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A Vatican Decree re Catholicism Being the one true religion?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 10:05 AM
Charlotte

I've been searching the web to see if this is true (how I missed it in the press I don't know), but is it true that the Vatican issued just recently some kind of statement that Catholicism is just that and the only way to heaven? I'd like to read it.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 10:50 AM
ohno

Lady, this is a travel forum. Let's not start a religious debate!

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 11:47 AM
John Paul

It might determine whether or not one travels to the Vatican.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 03:04 PM
virginia

I was raised a Catholic and that is what we were taught years ago. I thought the church had acknowledged that maybe there were other people who were going to go to heaven. This is not really a new thing for Catholics.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 09:33 AM
Louise

You know, in our church (Episcopalian) bulletin last week, there was a note that in spite of the Catholic Church's recent statement, it may not be the feeling of our Catholic friends and neighbors. I wasn't sure what that meant; still am not, but now my interest is piqued.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 09:56 AM
drop-this-one

This is one of those ridiculous Internet rumors. As somebody who is actually Catholic, what I have always heard priests, nuns, etc. say on this subject is that God is a fair god and as long as a person lives in accordance with beliefs that are good and true to him/her and the community, those are the standards by which he/she will be judged. <BR> <BR>BTW, do you have a travel question?

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 10:50 AM
terevor

Charlotte heard right. The Pope came out early this month with a decree about how Catholicism is the only true religion, blah blah blah. The travel angle is that non Catholics are going straight to hell, so we all need to know what to pack, where to stay, etc. <BR>I say boycott the damn Vatican!

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 11:10 AM
Henry

I agree we should stick travel Q & A.If any cares to read the actual document <BR>"Dominus Iesus" it is avalible at WWW.EWTN.com. in their library.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 02:37 PM
Christian

Dear Drop, <BR> <BR>If priests and nuns were telling you that God will sort this salvation thing out for people who are good and moral, then they weren't reading their Catholic doctrine very carefully. Catholics believe (and recite each week) that the Catholic church is the one true church. The recent pronouncement confirmed that, and I believe it also stated that grace could only be fully attained through the Catholic church. <BR> <BR>Obviously, I heartily disagree because Christians are supposed to believe Jesus is the path to grace and salvation, not any particular church. But then again, I'm only relying on the Bible for this so I must be completely wrong.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 03:52 PM
travel-question

Christian, when was the last time you went to Mass? Obviously when it was still in Latin... I do remember that statement on my Cathecism book. Catholics recite every week that the Church is One, Catholic and Apostolic. BTW, Catholic comes from the Greek meaning Universal. So, can you cite when and where does the Catholic recite every week that the Catholic Church is "-...the one true church.-"? People should argue about topics they know about. <BR> <BR>So, any travel tips for Italy?

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 04:32 PM
catholic girl

I was raised Catholic and every Sunday the nuns taught us that only Catholics would go to heaven and we should convert all our friends to Catholicism so this is nothing new. Looks like John Paul is trying to undo Vatican II. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 06:43 AM
Christian

Sorry, This, but I did get it wrong. The recitation in Mass (which I attend with my Catholic spouse whenever we are not attending my Protestant church) is as you state, although I understood "One" church as meaning "One True" Church. Who knows? Maybe it means "Most Excellent Awesome" or "Only". Hey, I can admit when I'm wrong. <BR> <BR>But I notice you didn't take issue with any of the other very valid points I made. And yes, I recently went to Italy and went through the 25-year door at St. Peters and all. I love St. Peter's because, even though it is a Catholic church, Christianity first began to flourish in Rome, so I feel a special relationship to St. Peters, even if the Catholic church feels no special relationship with me as a fellow Christian.

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 03:26 AM
Sheila

As a convert I took the trouble to check out the site. I have no problem with what Vatican II said as it was interpreted to me by my Jesuit instructor, which loosely translated was" We're closest in the line of inheritance and therefore most likely to be right. Doesn't mean the others aren't, but we are more likely to be" <BR> <BR>Don't like this much at all. Have to think about it....

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 03:29 PM
all

Let's not ruin this forum with talk of religion. this is a travel sight. there are plenty of other websites where people are screaming at each other over religious beliefs. It sounds like you started this talk just to makes "waves".

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 10:39 AM
Topper

to the top

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 01:12 PM
Bill

If I'm going to be traveling to Hell, is it ok to wear sneakers? Can my wife wear stretch pants? Does Lucifer speak good English, or will I have to shout at him? Oh yeah... is there a McDonalds there?

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 01:25 PM
Burger Queen

No McDonald's, but there is a Burger King, of course -- they flame-broil, there.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 02:05 PM
Dave

Topper- Please - DNR- Do Not Resuscitate - Let this die a natural, merciful death. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 02:08 PM
Notcatholic

Touche, Burger Queen! <BR> <BR>The way I see it, Heaven is going to be pretty dull. I'd rather spend all eternity with the less pious, but more diverse/interesting folk that aren't eligible for admission! <BR> <BR>