Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A Tuscan wedding-- a honeymoon....where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending a week with family and friends this June in Volterra for our wedding. We will then have about 4 days for our honeymoon. We are looking for somewhere nearby (we will have a car, so somewhere within a few hours of driving)What is a great, quiet place to relax and unwind from entertaining and wedding stress? Thank you so much!
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 06:06 PM

It may depend on your departure location, but 3 places come to mind:
Siena[with day trips into Tuscany]
Ligurian coast[ I love Portovenere]
Lake Orta[ see www.orta.net]

Buona fortuna !
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! We are departing from Florence...
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:36 AM

I second Portovenere or Santa Margherita. They are both wonderful and relaxing. Santa Margherita is a bit more upscale and has many German tourists. Portovenere has more Italians (at least that was the case a two years ago). You can day trip to Cinque Terre from both locations. Congratulations and have a wonderful wedding.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 09:42 AM

i would not recommend using Siena as your base as i don't think it meets your requirements. It is a very busy city (hardly quiet and relaxing) and not so easy to drive and park there.

Since you have a car i would highly recommend an agriturismo. if you are not familiar, they are family farms/vinyards who rent out rooms or more typically apartments. most are quite well appointed with pools, etc.

we stayed at Azienda Agricola Grignanello in La Piazza in Castellina in Chianti and liked it a lot. there are many of these all over tuscany so it's probably best to do some web research if you are interested.

some tips on agriturismos...

-always make sure you understand what is included in the room (heat/aircon, etc - do not take anything for granted) and have a good level of comfort with the luxury level of the place. from my experience, they range from very posh to very basic and everything in between. they are family run and on working farms/vinyards so do not expect the service level of a hotel. that said, it is not unusual to have a dinner invitation from the family or to be given a personal tour/explanation of the place and its history. Don't worry though, we are quite private and didn't find the family at all intrusive.

-the fact that you are restricted to four days will narrow the choice as many require a week as minimum. I know, however, that there are many who will rent for less than a week. obviously the less touristy the season the easier to book for whatever timeframe. (june is not so bad but not like february either).

when we go back to tuscany, we will choose an an agriturismo with a pretty location, nice tuscan views and just relax, drink wine, and explore the countryside. i think you would enjoy doing the same.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 10:10 AM

www.tuscany.net
find a castle/farmhouse to rent by the night. Look for trees and a pool. Yum!