A taste of Puglia - Alberobello

Nov 23rd, 2019, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

A taste of Puglia - Alberobello

A Taste of Puglia – Alberobello

The town of Alberobello is a charming town. There are Trullis scattered across the Itrea valley, but Alberobello has the highest concentration and truly is Trulli town. Trullis are conical structures and no mortar is used in their construction. Similar structures were used as burial tombs in medieval times. The first Trullis in Alberobello appeared in the 14th century. It’s said that no mortar was used to make them easy to dismantle when the tax man came calling. One of the more interesting tax evasion schemes.Families shared 2 to 3 cones. There be a large fireplace for cooking and heating. The animals would occupy the next door Trullo. They were built from limestone and the thick walls kept them cool in summer and warm during winter.Trullis are no longer built. The ones in Alberobello are from 18th, 19th and early 20th century. They were topped with pinnacles of different shapes, this was like a signature of the artist.Many of the roofs of the Trullis are adorned with white symbols. These are to bring good luck or to keep the demons away. There are 18 symbols of which, 6 are primitive symbols, 6 are Christian symbols and 6 are magic symbols.davdavdavI have to admit that when I originally arrived in Alberobello I found it too busy and too touristy. Many groups and day trippers come in for the day. After a short while I decided to have a late lunch and wait for the crowds to depart. I went to a restaurant I’d been recommended just outside of the main area. It was called L’olmo Bello. It had lovely ambience, great views, fantastic food and a very attentive waiter! This is ravioli stuffed with crab with an orange blossom cream sauce and poppy seeds. They have Prosecco on tap €4 for 50ml. It was wonderful.davIt is a magical experience to stay in a Trulli. My advice would be to find one a few minutes from the main area. Mine was less than 10 mins walk and in a lovely quiet spot.Later as the sun started to set and the tourist buses had headed home I ventured back out. A harpist played beautiful music and the atmosphere was so much calmer.For me the best experience was the following morning. It’s definitely worth getting up before the world wakes up. The Trulli village was a different place and with no people you could imagine how it used to be.digdigdavMy advice would be to stay overnight, have the experience staying in a Trulli, avoid the daytime crowds and appreciate the evening and the early morning experience.

Last edited by Moderator1; Nov 27th, 2019 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Removed masthead
Nov 23rd, 2019, 09:22 AM

On the other side of the main road there's a series of trulli where people actually live and are proud of their special houses. We haven't seen any tourists there.
Nov 23rd, 2019, 11:09 AM

Love your pictures and what an interesting village! I have a relative-by-marriage from Puglia so look forward to visiting some day. Thank you for posting.