A Skier and a Non-Skier in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband skis and I don't. What would you recommend for a city in Europe we could spend a week and he could ski a few days on a day trip basis and I could enjoy museums, music, etc.? Some ideas I had were Austria or Switzerland but I don't know what cities or what's the best way for him to transport himself to the slopes.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Innsbruck and Lucerne come to mind. The former is closer to ski areas, the latter probably offers more culture.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:04 PM
ira

Hi LA,

Fly into Paris - 2 nights

If he still wants to go skiing he can take a flight to Munich, ski Innsbruk, and return to Paris.

Fly into Rome - ditto.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Hi laurie_ann,

Yes, it's a problem. Ski areas are usually a few hours from the city, so skiing on a day-trip basis isn't feasible. This is especially true if your husband is an advanced skier. However, there is really a lot to do besides ski in the Alps -- while he is skiing, you could walk, toboggan, explore mountain villages, shop for souvenirs, find an ice palace, etc. How about a compromise of five days culture and five days skiing?

s
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Cortina d'Empezzo (sp?) in Italy is a few hours from Venice I believe.

You could also fly into Milan and then go North to Cervinia - which is on the Swiss Italian border and connected to world famous Zermatt.

Innsbruck would be pretty cool.

I went to St. Anton am Arlberg in Austria which was incredible. Then we went to Munich for a few days. St. Anton also has several towns nearby that you could explore while he is skiing (St. Anton, Christoph, Lech, Zurs). You could also take a train into Innsbruck while he skiis one day.

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 01:34 PM

What about Turin/Torino? Don't know about the skiing but must be half decent if good enough for the Olympics??? City itself offers plenty to keep you busy!
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 01:48 AM

Hi Laurie_Ann -

I'd highly recommend the Dolomites/ South Tyrol area.

I'm a non-skier - but often holiday in the Dolomites in the ski season, and find plenty to do.

Do you want to base in a ski resort? Or are you looking for a compromise solution from where you could day-trip?

If the former I'd recommend Ortisei in Val Gardena - a lovely ski area in dramatic scenery.

From Ortisei day-trip options include Bolzano, Trento, Merano, Innsbruck ... or, a little further afield, Munich, Verona ...

An alternative in this area would be to base in Bolzano itself.

In the Veneto area a good compromise solution IMO might be to base in Treviso. From there your husband could day-trip to Cortina d'Ampezzo or San Martino di Castrozza.

Day-trip options from Treviso include Venice, Padova, Bassano, Vicenza, Bologna, Verona, Asolo ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 09:31 AM

If you are interested in Switzerland, I too would suggest Luzern. The city has a lot to offer a sight-seer, and there is great skiing at Engelberg, one hour away by frequest trains.

http://www.engelberg.ch/Winter/index.php