Reload this Page >

A room in Venice for under $200

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 1999, 06:09 PM
Boris Timanovsky

Yes, we'll be spending most of our time in Venice outdoors. Still: is it possible to find a room in a hotel in Venice for under $200 where one could wake up in the morning, walk to the window (or the terrace), pull away the curtains, and behold the view that would make one feel like staying in the room all day? <BR> <BR>A hotel like that in Ravello was Belvedere Caruso. <BR> <BR>I know that much information about lodging in Venice has already been posted in this forum, but because of technical difficulties I'm having problems searching the archives. <BR>

Old Jan 30th, 1999, 07:05 PM
Dayle

Boris, you don't say when you are going. The Albergo Paganelli was about $100 per night for March rates, but that was 3 years ago. It faces the lagoon and all six in our group loved it. It's just a 5 minute walk from Piazza San Marco. Found it out of Fodor's Italy book. Good luck!

Old Jan 31st, 1999, 03:27 AM
Maira

Boris---- Hotel Paganelli is a great recomendation. My understanding, however is that is really a challenge to locate it in the Internet. The following info should help you in case you can't find it in the Net. <BR> <BR>A friend of my husband who was at the time a Science Adviser for the US Army in Italy booked this hotel for us thru the Army Office in Livorno. The basics I remembered about this hotel is their phone number (back in May 94) was 041-522-4324. Located in RIVA SCHIAVONI 4182, VERY <BR>CLOSE to Piazza San Marco (2 short blocks) in front of the lagoon with FIVE vaporetto lines making stops almost exactly in front of the hotel building (Vaporetto Ferovia & Lido and Motoscafo Ferovia & Lido are the closest boat lines from the parking lot where you leave your cars to cross over on to Venice). The cost in May 94 was about $85/night double room). It is very charming because is an old italian mansion. The furniture is very "Venetian". Been an old house it has the creaky floors, and a small <BR>courtyard, but I found it very charming. The owner was a very kind and helpful old man. The rooms are small, clean and the hotel itself is very <BR>romantic. It also has its own restaurant. For what is worth. a fellow Fodorite called Carol shared a while back that the Paganelli has been a hotel since the 19th Century and that the writer Henry James stayed there! <BR>

Old Jan 31st, 1999, 09:27 AM
anne

Our room in the Casa Verardo was a treat...I remember spending more time in there than we usually do! And yes, you pull apart the gorgeous drapes hanging from floor to ceiling, open the windows, then the shutters, to look out on a little nieghborhood canal...and after getting ready in your huge room , beautifully decorated with Venetian painted furniture, you walk through doors topped with a stained glass transom into the former ballroom, which is now a lovely frescoed breakfast room, and enjoy a delicious meal served by the young and welcoming owner, while listening to strains of Vivaldi. Located in the Castello district, easy access to all the sights. Our spacious double room was under $100 in Nov. 97. Phone 011-39 41 528 6138

Old Jan 31st, 1999, 09:43 AM
Elizabeth

The Toronto Globe and Mail newspaper had an article about the Pensione La Calcina in Venice.....following are quotes. "37 rooms, elegant yet reasonably priced. Just a 15 minute walk from Piazza San Marco so it feels removed from tourist mobs. Although room was described as having 'no view' the shutters opened to reveal a narrow but entrancing view across the water to the church of Il Rendentore. More expensive rooms in front look directly onto the wide Giudecca Canal. Room was attractively furnished and bathroom was ultra modern. Excellent buffet breakfast was included- there is also an outdoor bar set over the water and a rooftop terrace. Service was friendly and efficient. Rate 170,000 lira per night. Telephone 39 041 520 6466 Fax 39 041 522 7045" <BR>Sounds too good to be true, but the Globe is an 'upscale' paper and I trust it. <BR> <BR>Good luck - if you go let me know how is was <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 31st, 1999, 05:50 PM
Paule

I stayed in Pensione La Calcina last July and LOVED it. I did stay in one of the rooms facing the Canal (Guidecca, not the Grand), and found it as comfortable a place as I could want. I can second just about everything that was written in the earlier post, though I do think the prices are a little higher than Lit. 170,000 now. Last summer, I stayed in a room with a view (no terrace) and paid Lit.240,000/night for a double. I believe that the price for that room is now about Lit.260,000/night. I recommend it HIGHLY! But it comes with a warning: it seems to have been "discovered" and has become quite popular. It's booking up very fast-- I'm going back next summer, and that same room with a view was already booked in October! <BR>Instead, I'm going to the Accademia, which is also very popular and under $200/night.

Old Feb 1st, 1999, 07:41 AM
Boris Timanovsky

Thanks to everyone for the information. Unfortunately, La Calcina, Paganelli, Accademia, Casa Verardo and about 30 other places I've called are already booked for the first week of April. Eventually I had to settle for a room at the American Hotel. I'll be sure to try for the above places the next time I go.

Old Feb 4th, 1999, 11:28 PM
Carol

We stayed at the Hotel American in May of 96 and it was fine. A lovely little hotel with its own charm. The neigborhood nearby has a local fish market, and nice jewelrey and gift shops with better prices then we found in the larger tourist areas near San Marco plaza. It is also nice and quiet. The worst thing about the Hotel American is its name, which makes it sound touristy, which it is not. <BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 03:59 PM
t

Tricia

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 05:00 AM
Willie

Try these web sites for information on a nice hotel. <BR> <BR>http://www.sayville.com/sturionfr.html <BR> <BR>http://www.itwg.com/itw00523.asp <BR> <BR>http://www.bistrotdevenise.com/alberghi/index-ing1.htm <BR> <BR>http://www.locandasturion.com/ <BR> <BR>The Laconda Sturion is very nice hotel right on canal at the Rialto Bridge. One warning it has many stairs to climb to reach the lobby and rooms as it is on upper floors, but worth it. Check it out. <BR> <BR>