around or where to look we had a hard time. We are
going to be in London next week and would like a name
or names of some places that are fun, casual, and
have tasty meals.

Thanks
Robbyn in Indiana

Old May 27th, 1998, 04:53 AM
Cindy

A couple of our favorite places to eat: Cafe Uno near Carnaby Street (Oxford Circus Tube - turn left after leaving the tube then left again). Our one night to splurge is spent at Pont de le Tour along the river. Pick a night when you can eat outside with a fantastic view of Tower Bridge! In the same area is the River Cafe along the Thames Wharf (between Putney & Hammersmith bridges). My mother loves seafood; her favorite place is La Croisette (on Ifield Road that runs past the cemetery into the Old Brompton Road - look for the awning withtheir name on it) that had wonderful crab and mussels. Lunch at the cafe at St. Martins-in-the-field is also a treat as well as "tea" at Fortum & Mason's. We have also enjoyed good meals at two other cafe's - Kensington Place (just west of Kensington Gardens) and the Soho Brasserie (Old Compton Street) where we would wait for a table out on the sidewalk. Both were crowded but moderately priced and fun! Wish I were going with you!

Old May 27th, 1998, 05:25 PM
wes fowler

Robbyn: Consider "Nineteen", a charming, small French restaurant with a great deal of ambiance, an interesting menu and reasonable prices. It's located at 19 Mossop Street London SW. Take the underground to South Kensington station. Exit onto Pelham Street and walk past Fulham Brompton Road to Draycott Avenue. Continue on Draycott to Mossop, turn left to "Nineteen". Total distance from the tube station is about five blocks.

Old May 28th, 1998, 03:11 AM
Mike Miller

Scoffs Eating House on Kensington High Street and Geales Fish Restaurant in Notting Hill Gate neighborhood. Both restaurants were featured in Cheap Eats in London by Gustafson which I highly recommend.

Old May 28th, 1998, 05:44 AM
michael

Hi. We just got back last night from a long weekend and spent a lot of time seeking out good places to eat. Here are my suggestions (and we really studied the landscape!)e Palais du Jardin -- over by Covent Garden had by far the best food at the most reasonable prices around. It is big, bustling, and "American" style, but the food is excellent French/Continental. We had a huge seafood platter appetizer, followed by foie gras appetizers, and then lobster pastas, etc. And dessert and wines. You get the idea. Total was $180 for two, but it could have been done for much less. This was an extravagent excellent meal.Ivy -- It is a London great, traditional British food with a wonderful old setting. Try to book a table on arrival, or better yet get a guide book and call now.Le Pont de Tour -- French with a drop dead view of the Tower Bridge. Food good to excellent. A little attitude in the staff (same with Le Palais du Jardin as well) but this is true in many places in London. The American tradition of friendly relaxed service has not caught on very well over there yet.I have also heard that Aubergine (expensive!) and Chinon are worth the effort. Unfortunately, it was a long holiday weekend and these were closed while we were there.

Old May 28th, 1998, 11:46 AM
Jackie

we like Al Hamra in Shepherd's market. The food is,obviously, Lebanese. The miniature square is off Curzon St in the west end. We have been there many times and it is popular with the denizens of London
so reservations are a help.Enjoy!

Old May 28th, 1998, 12:13 PM
Karen

I agree with Michael...The Ivy in the theatre district...very good food in a very nice atmosphere.

Old May 29th, 1998, 05:52 AM
Joyce

Robbyn,

We just came back from London on Tuesday. Be prepared for the crowds. All of Europe was there last weekend celebrating Bank Day. The sidewalks in the city were absolutely packed. The tube was packed. Harrods was so full you couldn't move. It was not a pleasant walk or ride anywhere. The hotels and B&B's were booked solid. We found that Selfridges Dept Store was pleasant and calm for shopping. We discovered a very nice cafeteria there on the top floor. The food was good. I chose the Indian selections which were very good. You have to go up to the 4th floor on the escalator and then walk through the store to the back and take another escalator to the top floor. It's on Oxford Street. Another restaurant that we like to visit whenever we're in London is the Patisserie Valerie which is located on Brompton Rd. about 6 or 7 blocks up from Harrod's on the same side of the street. We always like that one. Sometimes we have tea and pastry in the afternoon or lunch or dinner--whatever is appropriate for the time we happen to be in the vacinity. It's always good, and reasonable, too.
Hope these suggestions help.

Old May 29th, 1998, 08:43 AM
CS

Robbyn--give Spago2 on High Street Kensington a try. We loved it so much we ate there twice in a week. Small, intimate and not very expensive (especially for London) they offer great Italian. Go for the farfalle--just delicious. Good pizza, too. CS

Old May 29th, 1998, 02:16 PM
Tammy Bulger

These all sound like great selections.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions of budget restaurants to moderate priced restaurants. I am leaving 6/4 and would love any suggestions.
Thanks.

Old May 31st, 1998, 09:46 PM
julie

Go to Tiddydols. This is a great english pub, not too expensive (near shepards market and Oxford street. they usually have a guy singing ribald old English songs. Other favorite of ours is Maggie Jones.