A Reluctantly Posed Question On DB Seat Reservations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all of the extremely patient, tolerant responders to questions about European rail travel, I assure you that I have read the threads on the subject and still am left with doubt on this real-live question: I am doing a circular tour of northern Germany by train, starting in Dusseldorf and ending in Frankfurt, via Koln, Bremen Hamburg, Berlin, and Dresden. I have done my due diligence and have concluded that a 1cl Germain Rail pass (twin variety) suits my needs. Normally, I would purchase that pass from Rail Europe just inside the 6 months window. And normally I would purchase seat reservations from Rail Europe on the planned trains just inside the 2 months window, assuming reserved seats are available. Now I am seeing that Rail Europe apparently, shall we say, gouges customers who purchase multiple reservations (i.e., 2 traveling) on multiple trains by somehow multiplying the S&H charges. First question, am I correct about this practice? Second question, if I am correct, is there a better way to accomplish my goals (German rail pass + seat reservations on designated trains) before I leave the U.S.? Many thanks as always. Gradyghost
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:01 AM

In Germany only CityNightLine, NachtZug, and Thalys require reservations. If you want a seat reservation buy it when there. €3 each seat.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:13 AM

I just helped my dad buy two seat reservations on ICE and IC trains yesterday on www.bahn.de. Easy to register and purchase, and no problem printing out the seat reservations.

No reason to use RailEurope or other agents.

The cost of reservations alone is 3.5€.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

By way of clarification, I understand that some German trains offer, but do not require, seat reservations. I prefer to have seat reservations wherever possible. It's a peace of mind thing, I guess. Gradyghost
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:22 AM
J62

The routes you describe between major cities are all serviced with very frequent trains - ever 1-2 hours at least. There are always seats available.

I usually travel 2nd class, which is just fine for a few hrs, and I've never had trouble getting a seat reservation, when I wanted to buy one, 0-1 days in advance.

You can simply walk into any DB station once you arrive and make all the seat reservations you need.

When traveling alone or with one other person I don't even bother with a seat reservation on normal 2-4hr treks, and I've never had a problem simply taking a vacant, unreserved seat.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:22 AM
ira

Hi GG,

>..have concluded that a 1cl Germain Rail pass (twin variety) suits my needs.<

You have priced the fares at www.bahn.de?

If so, I suggest that you purchase all of your seat/sleeper reservations at the train station in Dusseldorf.

It is much cheaper to get reservations from DeBahn than from RailEurope.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate all of the responses..thanks.

Hello Ira: Do you know whether it's worth considering other U.S. agents that I've seen mentioned, such as Euraide or BETS, for seat reservations before I leave? I'm afraid I suffer from a desire to have everything buttoned up by then. Gradyghost
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Just why won't you get reseverations directly from www.bahn.de before you go? Why have to go through an agent? They have English on their website. I don't know any German and I booked my dad seats with no problem.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Hello rk:

I thank you for your information. I am not sure whether or not one can buy seat reservations online from dbahn separately from the purchase of an underlying ticket. As I said, I do plan to buy a railpass before I leave and I don't think (although I could be wrong) that persons outside of Germany can buy railpasses online from dBahn. That is the reason for my focus on agents for the seat reservations. I have purchased German rail tickets online in the past and do know the procedure. Thanks again. Gradyghost
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 01:55 PM

Yes, you can buy a seat reservation independent of a ticket. That's exactly what I did yesterday. [My dad already has a pass.]

After you come to the page with all the train choices and fare prices, click on "Order". On the next page, you can choose from "Online Ticket", "Tickets per Mail", and "Seat reservations only (for self printing)".

Choose the third one, and hit "Proceed", and then you'll choose your seat prefernce - window, seat, etc...

It's super super easy.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

I'll give it a shot. Many thanks for hanging in. Gradyghost
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 02:38 AM

This is a very informative thread. I'm buying SelectSaver Eurail Passes (5 days, 5 countries) and am trying to get reservations before leaving the U.S. But my trips are between countries, and, unfortunately, when I tried purchasing "reservations only" for the Munich to Paris leg through Die Bahn, it showed "Not Available" on page three. So this must work only on trips within Germany?

Guess I'll get reservations through the AAA travel agent (they use RailEurope). The AAA agent e-mail says there's only one shipping fee for the passes and the reservations (even if some reservations are made later), but each leg of each trip is USD $11 per passenger for reservations - more than this link quoted for Die Bahn. You do also pay a $17 per person one-time insurance fee. I'm sure we could save by waiting to make reservations when we arrive in Europe, but like others here have said, I like the comfort level of having all travel arrangements in place, and I prefer saving every minute of my time abroad for the fun things. Thanks again for the info.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 03:16 AM
ira

Hi Blue,

Before you purchase from AAA, try calling Euraide (www.euraide.com). They have a US number.

They charge the same price as you would pay in Germany, so might be cheaper.

Also try BETS (http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/)

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:15 AM

B.E.T.S. in Ann Arbor is a very helpful group for European train travel. They've been mentioned on Fodor's before.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:11 AM

I just wanted to let you know that even though you may have reserved a seat on the train this does not always guarantee you will get that seat. I know that on my trip from Frankfurt to Basel I specifically chose the reserve option and well lets just say some not so nice man would NOT give me the seat that I had paid extra for. Just FYI incase this happens to you.

Have Fun!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:53 AM

One of you may have been in the wrong car. That's a common mistake made by people with seat reservations.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:22 PM
ira

Hi C,

>some not so nice man would NOT give me the seat that I had paid extra for.<

In future, complain to the conductor.

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM

after carefully comparing the car number and seat number that is clearly marked on your ticket, of course.

car numbers are marked on the outside and often inside at the doors.

and as a rule of thumb i believe within so many minutes after the train leaves a station reserved seats that are not claimed become up for grabs so don't dilly dally say in the bar car before going to your seat - usually 15 minutes i think then legally can be occupied as a no-show. I don't know if there's any hard and fast rule about this but this is the tradition i've heard.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Hello PQ:

You're absolutely right about the 15 minute rule. Here is the provision from the DB web site:

Please note that your reservation will only be retained for 15 minutes after the departure of the train. If you have not taken your seat until then, your reservation will be cancelled and your seat may be taken by other passengers.

While dallying in the club car is always tempting, I usually go there only after claiming my reserved seat to make a table reservation for a later libation etc. Gradyghost