Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

a quick weekend trip to Conwy (North Wales)

Old Aug 27th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Summer comes to an end with a quick and enjoyable visit to Conwy over the August Bank Holiday weekend:

http://ukfrey.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08...s-round-2.html

We are visiting N. Wales in small bites as we had done a 4-day weekend trip back in Apr/May 2011:

http://ukfrey.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/north-wales.html

More to see (for sure) so I hope we can return again.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM

Lovely report, as always.

We enjoyed our brief time in Conwy in 2007. I just found out Mr. Pickle's men's chorus is planning to tour Wales in 2014, and I'm looking forward to returning!

Lee Ann
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 05:50 PM

I was in Conwy 30 years ago for a week. Also probably under different owners. I also stayed at the Castle Bank Hotel--fifteen punds a night for an ensuite single. It was one of the few times in those days that I spreng for ensuite.

They also served dinner, but you had to reserve in the morning if you were going to be in for the evening.

I saw the things you did as well as Bodnant Gardens, Harlech Castle, the slate mine, Blenau Festiniog Railway. I recall that you did much of this on your previous trip.

I too enjoyed the merchant's house and it was the ceiling which really impressed me and that I still remember.

Thanks so much for bringing back memories. I think my favorite picture was the one of Alex in his red shirt looking out from the castle walls.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 08:42 AM

REally gorgeous scenery. Thanks for posting!
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 05:21 PM

Really enjoyed the reports and the photos. Brought back memories of our trip to Northern Wales from last year. Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 05:52 PM

indy_dad: Another wonderful trip! When we were in Conwy in May, we actually had SUN! Loved Conwy Castle and like you, had dinner at Watson's one night, then went back our last night when we realized it just didn't get any better!! You all look like you are having a great time on all your trips... Thanks again, for sharing.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 06:19 PM

I have enjoyed all your TR's immensely! We stayed at the Castle Bank Hotel for one night and loved it, too (and actually ate at the Castle Hotel), so I really enjoyed your pics. Our short time in Conwy is a great memory (DH, DD and I) and you helped bring it back so clearly. And also brought back a deep desire to revisit Wales.

Keep sharing, thank you so much!
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 07:19 PM

Oh, am I looking forward to reading your report! We will be in Conwy for three nights in early October. Here hoping for the weather to hold up.
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 03:13 PM

Hi Indydad, really enjoyed your TR and great pics. Thinking of going to Wales next summer – we’ll see.

Always enjoy your account of outings. You have lovely children who are lucky too to have such family holidays with a generous amount of history on the side. They are about the same ages as my grandchildren except the boy is older than the girl. Great age for such adventures.

Again, thanks for sharing…
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:35 AM

On our last trip to Conwy, they were still working on the tunnel (it's been a while!) and all the truck traffic for Anglesey and Ireland had to go through the town. One day, a juggernaut got stuck. Traffic backed up for twenty-five miles. Those who were skeptical about the tunnel were no longer skeptical. It is a wonderful part of the world.
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 08:14 AM

We loved it on the Great Orme, and your photographs capture perfectly the exhilaration of being up there on a sunny day with the blue sea stretching to the horizon. Wonderful part of Wales.

Vicky
http://postcards-pfte.blogspot.co.uk/
Celebrating the Great British Coastline