A nice place Between Hastings UK and Looe Uk

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling from London to Hastings via Canterbury. Staying 1 night in Hastings. We need somewhere to stay between Hastings and Looe to break the journey.
Preferably by the coast, with fishing village perhaps.
Has anyone some great ideas.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 11:22 PM

Some suggestions of the top of my head.

Lyme Regis
Dartmouth
Salcombe

None are likely to be cheap.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 12:17 AM

You are going to Hastings for a personal reason? It's a dump.

In the area of Lyme Regis there are Seaton and Sidmouth. Dartmouth and Salcombe are excellent but relatively close to Looe.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 01:00 AM

I'd hazard a guess that the OP's reason for going to "Hastings" might be to visit the 1066 battlefield at Battle. Hastings itself is indeed a dump, but the countryside around is very pleasant.

Hastings to Looe is a long drag along congested south coast roads, so definitely wise to break the journey. How about the New Forest, which is approx half way along this route? Lots of scenic old villages and museums, plus animals wandering free in the countryside http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/ . But I'm puzzled: do you really need to get from the Hastings area to Looe (basically one end of the country to the other) so quickly? You're skipping some very interesting places along route: Lewes, Brighton, Arundel, Chichester, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, Salisbury, then the places in Dorset and Devon mentioned by the previous posters.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 06:22 AM

It it is for the Battle of Hastings, then you need Battle Abbey rather than Hastings itself (and Battle is a pleasant enough small village).
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 06:36 AM

Beaulieu in the New Forest is one of my favorite places. It's a small village, but The Montague Arms is a great hotel. You can visit the National Motor Museum, the 13th-century Cistercian monastery,along with the family home of the Montagues, all within easy walking distance. If staying there,be sure to take the walk through the New Forest to Bucklers Hard.

www.beaulieu.co.uk
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 06:43 AM

I should have added www.montaguearmshotel.co.uk

Not really thay many great places along the coast, but you might try Bognor Regis. The idea of quaint fishing villages is not much of a reality.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 06:52 AM

"...you might try Bognor Regis..."

You have got to be joking, right?

There are some genuine small fishing villages in between the more populated centres along the South Coast. By the time you get into Devon, you'll be falling over them. For somewhere closer to midway between Hastings and Looe try Bosham or Emsworth in West Sussex.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 07:02 AM

We liked the Highway Farm B and B just west of Bridport. Very clean, large room, modern bath and good breakfast. Great views from the dining room--walking paths just outside the door which we didn't have time to explore. www.highwayfarm.co.uk
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 09:19 AM

Actually, I don't know anything at all about Bognor Regis. I meant Bosham. Guess I got my B's mixed-up,a senior moment or some such mental quirk. The Millstream Hotel and Restaurant is nice (and, that's in Bosham).

www.millstream-hotel.co.uk
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM

I adore Bosham (King Canute and not even a King can hold back the sea is part of my childhood) but it is only about 1.1/2 hours from Hastings so not mid way.

Not on the coast but Dorchester is IMHO a lovely town - Do you like Thomas Hardy? It would be more mid way on your way to Looe and you could stop of for a few hours in one of the lovely villages along the way.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I have just started planning a 5 week trip of the UK (May 2010). After spending about 6 nights in London (not included in the 5 weeks)we thought we would visit Canterbury on the way to Cornwall. My husband really wants to visit Padstow (mad on Rick Stein) so we thought maybe baseing ourselves around Looe for 4 nights.
I only picked hastings as it sounded like an interesting place, so maybe somewhere near there would be better.
This should be the only time we are stopping for 1 night only in 2 different places. Once we get to Looe we plan on staying for 4 nights at each place right through to Scotland.
Nothing is definite yet.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 09:37 PM

Many of the people who come on this board are trying to "do" the UK in 7-10 days with a frantic self-imposed itinerary. You, on the other hand, have the luxury of a full FIVE weeks, which will give you plenty of time to see a lot of the country at a reasonable pace. So it's even harder to understand your urgency to get from London to Cornwall (via Canterbury and Hastings(?), which believe me are in totally the wrong direction to get to Looe).

If it was me, I'd get hold of a good UK guide book and a detailed road map, then work out an itinerary which makes better use of my valuable holiday time. I've no idea if this is your first visit to the UK, or what your sight-seeing priorities are (apart from Looe/Padstow), but IMHO it would be a huge missed opportunity to overlook the many interesting sights along the south coast that have been suggested - especially with all that time available.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It is not imperative that we go to Canterbury, as we could probably do that as a day trip from London.
We have never been to the UK before. Our interests are varied. The usual, churches, castles. I would love to visit some gardens and my husband loves anything to do with seafood, so hence our desire to visit fishing villages.
We like anything to do with wildlife.
We would also like to visit Brighton so maybe a 3 day stop around that area, then on to Looe. It doesn't have to be Looe, I am just trying to find us a base where we can visit other areas without having to move every day, which we hate.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 06:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you want to see Canterbury -- One option is to do it as a day trip by train from London. Canterbury is entirely the wrong way around from where you are eventually headed and Hastings is truly no great shakes. Battle, while interesting - pales in comparison to other places you are going.

But what I'd really recommend - since you have a fair amount of time - is to slow down. Use 4 (or even 5) full days and stay somewhere in the southern Kent/east Sussex area. Use that as a base to see Canterbury, Dover, Brighton, Sissinghurst, and more castles/gardens that you could imagine.

Then 1 night in the New Forest as described above (lovely villages, New Forest ponies, Beaulieu, Bucklers Hard)

Then maybe 1 night on the south Devon coast before ending up in Cornwall for a few days.