Reload this Page >

A new ribbon logo...

Search

A new ribbon logo...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 06:12 PM
Rex

A new ribbon logo...

As you may or may not have read, Fodor's has announced plans to create a blue "ribbon" (with logo?) lapel pin in response to the thread dealing with this. <BR> <BR>So they do come here and read occasionally. <BR> <BR>And my plans to create the alternative "Pompous Ass" logo ribbon lapel pin will likely still go forward - - though the timetable will depend on "orders". <BR> <BR>But if interest supports it, I may re-direct my efforts to my "other" crusade - - the ability to search by initial "timestamp" - - in other words, the ability to refer a fellow Fodorite (visitor) to a specific thread, regardless of when it last received a post. <BR> <BR>To that end, I unveil tonight, my all NEW logo: <BR> <BR>www.geocities.com/rexbickers/circling.htm <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:04 PM
Rex

I expected no responses to this post, and I will not top it again after this time. For anyone interested, 16 people have viewed the new logo (by comparison, the PA logo attracted 55 viewers, 43 of them in February, 12 since March 1 - - and no - - I cannot access your IP address nor anything about you if you go take a look). <BR> <BR>One person has written to me with questions about this "crusade" - - and it came up that I have (perhaps) never made it clear that what would be most useful would be to make a unique identifier ("timestamp") hot-linked to take a Fodorite visitor DIRECTLY TO a specific thread by clicking on it. <BR> <BR>This thread, for example, could be referenced as <BR> <BR>2001.03.01.22.12.0x <BR> <BR>and clicking on the timestamp would take you to it, whether you were on the same "page" of 50 posts as the cited thread or not. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:26 PM
still

Rex, <BR> <BR>I'm still unclear about your timestamp crusade. Are you recommending an index of threads with a code next to the English title? If not, how would this "timestamp" help. Or, do you expect everyone to keep a file of threads and timestamps? I think it would be much harder to search by a series of numbers than by an alpha description. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:55 PM
Rex

What I advocate is the ability to refer to you to a thread (however I found it) - - without topping it - - and without your having to recreate the (sometimes tedious) search process I used to find it. <BR> <BR>And yes - - I do believe that there would emerge some "lists of timestamps" - - golden classics, aggregated master lists - - I don't know all the uses it would have. <BR> <BR>But here's an example - - do you know where I can find a site that lists all the rail travel websites for every country in Europe? I have given the address for this site many times before - - but what would you search to find it? "rail"? "website" (web site, web "sight" web page?) ???? <BR> <BR>I don't cite this example to tease anyone - - personally I remember that i "referenced" the word "meta-site" on that particular thread (it's title was "Thalys Train Tickets in July...HELP!!!")- - but would YOU remember that? - - and the website I mentioned there is http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/misc/timetabl.html (no "www"). <BR> <BR>But I would love to be able to answer a visitor's question with this: <BR> <BR>see thread #2/21/2001, 9:04 pm ET <BR> <BR>or 2001.02.21.21.04.0x <BR> <BR>they click on this - - and voila - - they're there! <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:56 PM
Ger

Rex: Re <BR> <BR>Are you canvassing for Fodor's to enable embedding REAL html threads into a note (e.g referring a browser to a specific note on this site or another reference site)? <BR> <BR>It would be great - can they (technically) do it? <BR> <BR>You have my vote! <BR> <BR>Regards ... Ger <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 03:09 PM
Are you

I can't imagine that anyone except you would bother to keep that master list of timestamps. It would be a useless exercise and just clutter up the board. If they are going to improve anything, why not just fix the find function.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 03:10 PM
Rex

Well, yes, I would like this (also) - - of course, a "timestamp" would not be a legitimate URL unless the poster encoded it so - - &lt;a href="yadda-yadda-yadda.htm"&gt; - - these are two related, but slightly different wishes on a wish list. <BR> <BR>Fodor's may not be as willing to facilitate hot-linking OFF the site as much as hot-linking to another thread ON the site. Ultimately, I have to think they are going to be interested in "page view" statistics as a basis for fee schedules for their advertisers - - even though we don't (CURRENTLY) see any advertising while using this forum. <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 03:18 PM
Rex

I wonder if "Are you bored" has ever answered a question from someone else. <BR> <BR>People who come here to ask a question are the lifeblood of this forum. I don't think I really have to defend the desire to have easier and better ways to answer their questions. <BR>

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 03:14 PM
mary c

Dearest Rex <BR> <BR>I hereby submit my order for the "Pompous Ass" logo pin. My hubby and I perused your site and thought it hilarious. Count me as a supporter. <BR Mary

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Rex

Okay, Mary - - send me an e-mail with your mailing address. And if you have "made the acquaintance" of any other Fodorite, cc: that person. We're striving to set a record for world's slowest-moving chain letter (reaching the fewest number of people in a set period of time)! <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 07:47 AM
celia lynn

I just bought a yard of "Fodor's Blue" ribbon for $.49. Can make 3 "ribbons "for my lapel. Thanks, Elizabeth. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 03:20 PM
zz-top

How goes the chain letter for the PAP (pompous ass pins)??? --- I do like the variation on the Fodor's design. Blue, red & black will nicely complement our dress code (ALL TRAVELLERS SHALL WEAR BLACK!). <BR>

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Rex

Very slowly - - just as envisioned. I now have eight orders - - enough to start on a batch this weekend. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 07:02 PM
topper

to the top... for the unveiling of the Prototype design... <BR>