Search

A french picnic

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A french picnic

I often buy a sandwich or crepe and take it to a park for a picnic when traveling. I pull a book out of my purse and relax for a while. However, I have never "put together" a picnic myself. Since my trip coming up is to stroll around more and runaround less, I want to put together the cheese, bread, wine picnic that as become cliche for a French picnic.

Question: How do I order the cheese in the fromagerie? I know that I need to think in grams, but that escapes me. I only will want a couple of ounces for my lunch as I will be traveling alone. My french is very limited. If I point to what I want and say "un petit peu pour mon dejeuner, s'il vous plait" will the shopkeeper understand? Or must I order in grams? If so, how much? I assume the answer will also help in the charcuterie?

Any helpful hints on ordering buying wine, bread from the boulangerie, and meats from the charcuterie? Remember this is all for one person.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Hi cchottel, you can ask for "une fine tranche (a thin slice) de whatever cheese or charcuterie" you want. Pour une personne. They usually show the piece they're going to cut for you saying "ça ira comme ça?" (will it be ok like this)
if it is too big, say "un peu moins" (a bit less)
too small, "un peu plus" (a bit more)
just fine, "c'est bien comme ça" or "ça va comme ça".
you can also use your hands to show the size you want ;-)
Don't forget to say thank you!

Your sentence is also right if you feel comfortable with it, no problem!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Coco, merci. You are always such a help. I can't wait. A couple of days of my trip will be in Dijon. First time.

I must be getting a little better at French because your translations actually make sense to me now.

Maybe you can answer a question, I have long wondered and never have been able to find the answer. Naturally, I say "au revoir" when leaving an establishment. I often get "bon journee" as a response -- that is how it sounds "jour-nay". At first I thought it might be the difference as we in the US would say "good morning", as a greeting but then to leave would say "good day". I have tried to figure this out and the closest I can get is that they are saying "Good day trip" or "Good short journey." If that is correct, then it would be wrong for me to answer the same way, right? Since they are staying there. Or am I mistranslating Bon Journee?
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:20 PM

<Or am I mistranslating Bon Journee?>
Yes! Bonne journée simply means have a nice day, so you can also say it when you are leaving the shop. You can say them all together as well! Au revoir, bonne journée!
Toute la journée means all day long, so nothing to do with a trip! ;-)

I remember you're going to Dijon, I'm still searching for a restaurant for you! BTW where will you be staying?
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Bon Journee is the equivalent of "have a nice day"..
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Thurot. I travel with few frills. Found it on Venere.com. I always use venere to book hotels in Europe. I find their reviews helpful and pretty accurate. I'm not one to spend a lot on a room. As long as it is clean, I don't need much space or canopied beds. But then, I'm not the kind of person who looks for things to be wrong. I'm usually just glad to be there.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:39 PM

I think this hotel is more known by English speakers than by Dijon people. We never hear of it, it seems to be hidden somewhere (like a gem maybe!)
Let us know what you think of it please.
I don't know when you'll be in Dijon but if you want to have a walk with me, practising your French, I could show you around.(no catacombs here as far as I know ;-) )
I realize I don't even know if you're a man or a women ;-)
I really miss French genders here!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Coco, what a gracious offer. I am a woman. 55 years old. I will arrive in Dijon from Avignon on 01 Avril and I leave on the 03. At this point I have no definite plans. I have added my email address to my posts, so if you really would like to spend a little time, I would set aside some time.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
cchotel, I can picture you two, shopping for picnic food as Coco helps you to order.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 01:18 PM

I always thought you were a womAn the question came to my mind when I invited you!
I'll try to see how free I can be and I'll contact you soon.

Hi mimi, do you want to join us? ;-)
good night all!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 01:25 PM
ira

Hi CC,

There are about 30 g in an oz.

A small piece of cheese is about 50-60 g,

I have found that a small pad upon which I write how much I want is very useful.

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 06:56 AM

email sent!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Hi CC, your posting caught my interest because I will leave Dijon at about the time you arrive. Avignon will be the next stop. I will be at Coco's flat. I will travel alone by train to 3 cities. I also like picnic stuff. However, I enjoy sit down dinner, too. We may run into each other in Dijon. Who knows?
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:23 AM

I've always used the follwing benchmarks: 100 grams = a little less than a quarter pound, 200 grams = a little less than a 1/2 pound and 500 grams which will get you about a pound. They're easy numbers to remember.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Just point, smile, and hold your thumb and index fingertips as far apart as you'd want the slice to be thick. If you can bring yourself to say - in a French pronounciation - "juste pour un sandwich" - better still.

And, btw, it's bonjour but bonne journée (le jour = day is masculine, hence "bonjour", but la journée = the timespan of a jour, is feminine).

On arrival you say Bonjour, departing you say "Au r'voir" (easy on the e in revoir) = "see you later" and - if you wish to add it - Bonne Journée = have a nice day.

But if you have already arranged to meet again, for example if you have something being prepared that won't be ready until some time later, you say "Au r'voir - à toute à l'heure" = "Bye now - til then".

WK
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hopefully you can do better than i do, but i rely on "for one person", pointing, smiling, please, and thank you-ing like mad.

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Hello cchottel, I must tell you that I love the phrase you used in one of your posts above...'But then, I'm not the kind of person who looks for things to be wrong.'

What a great description of a travel/life philosophy!! I try to travel with that attitude as well. I hope you have a great trip! lynda
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks Coco, but impossible but how about later? (months) if we stay overnight in Avallon, you join us for dinner at De La Poste?
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM

Cigale,

We hope to stay in Avallon overnight in the fall...what can you tell us about De La Poste??? Is this a dining place you recommend??? We have never stayed in this area before...
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Georgiegirl: I have sent an email to Coco. I will arrive mid-afternoon on the 1st. I suggested apertifs but I am up for anything.

I, too, like a sit down dinner. I like a picnic often for lunch, though. I figure I will have my picnic in Avignon or on my daytrip to Nimes.

I suggested that you and Coco decide if and what is doable. I'm flexible. Afterall, this is vacation and I will be in France! I would love to meet you, but if it doesn't work out, I understand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -