Search

A few questions re: Russia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions re: Russia

Hi,
I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Russia in the summer of 2007. I normally travel independently but unsure if I want to do that in Russia therefore I am doing some research now. I will already be in Europe so the packages from USA including airfare will not apply to us. We do know we want to stay in 5 star hotels as this is a special trip for us.
I noticed some land only packages of approx $2800 per person but I did not like the selection of hotels so I started to research some of the hotels and now I am confused. We chose The Grand Hotel Europe in St. Petersberg and I noticed the rooms are about 25% cheaper in August then they are in Sept - is August not a good month in St. Petersberg? We can go in July or August.
Secondly, booking directly with the hotel the room is approx $400-500 plus 18% tax plus $38 for the full breakfast. Would I get a better rate using an agency and if so..suggestions please. Of course I would have to book all of the tours on my own so possibly the package prices may be more attractive in this case. Normally I find package prices much higher, almost as if you are paying for the room twice.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a land only tour that uses luxury hotels in both Moscow and St. Petersberg? Open for all suggestions.
Thanks
Pat
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want luxury you could look at www.exeterinternational.com. I haven't traveled with them - way out of my price range - but they look like land only.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the reply, I will check them out.
Pat
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:56 AM

mystic,

We are going to be in Moscow and St P in August 2007. Have already made all arrangments with Exeter. Pricey, you bet! But I am impressed.

Greg Tepper is the owner and he is very prompt with all e amils. If you decide to go with them, you will be most likely handed over to one of his staff. Alex is taking care of us and again, I am truly impressed with what we are going to be doing and where we are staying.

I normally independently plan all our summer trips ( I run a group trip in the spring that I work with my agent on as it is to many people to take too many chances), but I felt for Russia I wanted to have some guidance.

We will be in Copenhagen Stockholm and Helsinki prior to arrival in Russia as our last stop, and I have planned the Scandinavia portion myself, so at least I get to do the planning as I love it so much.

I'd rather not disclose Exeter's prices
but just be prepared. If you want to know through me rather than them, let me know and I can e mail that info to you.

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

tripirl,

Thanks for all the info and I have a feeling that the price is going to be a bit higher than I planned.

Could you please email me at [email protected]

Appreciate the help and hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Pat

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For something a bit more reasonable you could take a look at mircorp.com. They quote land-only prices, and will put something individual together for you if you ask.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will look in Mircorp - appreciate the help.
pat
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 06:44 PM

you should also look at www.discoveringrussia.com

It's run by Mark Miller, someone who posts regularly here, and they customize tours for people based on their interests and budgets. His family is very prominent in art collecting and he puts together great trips-I've been to Russia now twice through Discovering Rsussia, in both Moscow and Saint Petersburg, and recommend them highly.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Whatever you do, do NOT use In-Russia based in Moscow. Problems with our trip are posted under Moscow travel.