a few questions about andalucia...

Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

a few questions about andalucia...

We are going for our honeymoon next summer and i am trying to figure out some sort of itinerary. My questions are...
-Does Gibraltor require a whole day trip or is it something we could do on the way to or from morocco? What exactly is there?
-How long and what is there to do in Morocco? Are there day tours that we should take?
-We are staying near the village of Casares- which is a Pueblos blancas, Is it similar to Ronda? What is the interest at ronda? We aren't very interested in bull rings, is there something there other than that?
-How long does it take from Marbella to Granada? Is there a website that would tell me the distances from one place to another?
-Where is the best place to see a flamenco show? Madrid, seville, or elsewhere in andalucia?
-Which is the best, most castle like parador to stay in in the costa del sol area?
Thanks for the info!!!
Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:11 AM

We saw a good flamenco show in Granada, it was in a Gipsy cave. They also have really good shows in Sevilla (Los Gallos is a good one). Tickets for most shows are sold in tourist agencies or at the lobby of the hotel.
For nice hotels, look at Paradores de España. I believe there was a really nice one in Granada but it was sold out on the dates we were staying. Don't miss a visit to La Alhambra. Have fun!
Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:20 AM

Answers to your questions.

1. Gibraltar does not take a full day trip but if there is traffic it will take additional time. Basically, you go up the rock and see the forts, apes, and the view. It is interesting.

2. There are guided day trips to Morocco
to Tangiers. It is pit and though we went I would not go again. Othere parts of Morocco are beautful and interetsing but not as day trips. Your hotel should be able to give you some info on the tours.

3. We drove Marbella to granada. I do not remember exactly the time but beleive it took about 3-4 hours. We ran into some cocnstruction.

Aug 23rd, 2003, 01:08 PM

Highly recommend the flamenco show at Los Gallos in Seville, but would like to check out the one Pimps recommended in Granada when we're there in Nov. Pimps--could you give us more info--address?

We did Alhambra as a day trip from Marbella--no problem--but get tickets in advance on the internet.

Good that you're planning now--there's so much to learn and you'll be way ahead by staying posted in Fodors.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 01:23 PM

Gibraltar is also a big tax-free shopping mecca - many good deals to be had. If you drive across from Spain be prepared to endure a long wait in line coming back - the Spanish use a frustrating "go slow" customs inspection approach in order to irritate the UK so that they will give Gibraltar "back" to Spain. As if.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:39 PM

Gardyloo, I understand you can park on the Spain side and walk over--would this be a better way to go to avoid long customs lines?
Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:46 PM

So I'm told, although I'd also mention that I believe Gibraltar has the cheapest auto fuel in Europe. Still, probably I'd walk or take one of the many buses.

There are numerous hucksters on the Spanish side offering to sell you "tickets" to enter Gibraltar, and/or watch your car. Baloney.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 10:20 PM

Artlover,
I don't quite remember the name of the place for the flamenco show, however, we bought the tickets at the lobby of the Anacapri Hotel (where we stayed). There was an incredibly helpful American woman in the front desk who recommended it. In addition to the show, we got transportation to/from the hotel and a guided tour of El Albacin by a gipsy flamenco dancer who told us what it was like to live in the caves. The show was very nice and the tour very interesting... I'm sure you'll be able to get more information once you get to Granada.
Aug 25th, 2003, 09:29 AM

for PIMPS:

How was the Anacapri?
Aug 29th, 2003, 07:16 AM

The Anacapri hotel wasn't bad at all. It's a 3 star hotel which best feature is its location, right in the heart of Granada. We only slept there for one night and we spent very little time at the hotel, however I found the bathrooms very clean, the room big for European standards and the American lady at the front desk super helpful!

Search this Thread