Search

A few questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:06 AM
XXXXX

A few questions

Hey everyone. I've posted here before, and I've gotten great help, so I'm coming back for more.<BR><BR>My first question is concerning the time period of our trip to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland in December. We understand a lot of things are not opened as late during the off season. That we are prepared to work around as much as we possibly can by getting up earlier and calling it a night earlier.<BR><BR>A particular concern of ours though: we've read that a lot of the castles along the the Rhein river aren't even open for tours during that time period. Is this so? And if not, is it better to skip that area of Germany and save it for a time when we can hopefully return? Is there other things we should beware of during this time of year?<BR><BR>Also, I've been told by people on this board to not even bother w/ a car, get a Eurorail pass and go via train. We would love to explore this option, but the only thing we can think of is lugging two weeks worth of luggage around from train station to taxi station to hotel, etc. Is that an option only for those who pack light? Am I missing something? We're going on a honeymoon, not a camping excursion with just a backpack.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for the help! You guys are great!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Therese

Driving in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland is no problem at all, and will give you a lot more flexibility with the places you visit as well as with your luggage (I'd still recommend you keep to a single small rolling bag apiece, but that's just me). In some locations you'll want to ditch the car in a garage or lot and go the rest of the way on foot (in Heidelberg, for instance, or some of the towns on the Romantic Road, if you were to choose either of these), so minimal luggage is still worth considering. <BR><BR>Can't help with the times on sites and so forth. But others here surely will.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:49 PM
notsure

Do you really want to go into all those castles? Often times, if you've seen one you've seen most all! A lot of things are closed during the winter, yes. Check ANY guide book out there and they list the opening and closing times during the seasons! You won't have to get up earlier- the sites don't open any earlier just because they are closing earlier, ya know what I mean? I say drive! Parking can be a pain but you are much more flexible in your travel and it is so easy over here! Don't worry about road conditions in the winter, the autobahns and main roads are kept quite nicely.I hope you are going to the Christmas Market in Nurnberg and a drive through the Black Forest is quite nice during the winter (although it can be a bit trecherous). Good luck and congratulations.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Lily

Drive! For one thing from my experience the train service although very good just doesn't get you to all of the beautiful little villages you will want to see in a very timely manner in Barvaria. The autobahn is well kept but do be prepared for winter if you are driving - lots of great sights on country roads! You hit the mark about luggage by the way - it can be a real pain especially in alot of the small rail stations that are accessed by stairs only.<BR><BR>Have a great time! You'll love it!<BR><BR>Lily

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:28 AM
brownie

Be also aware that lots of places use this low tourist season to do their cleaning and refurbishing. <BR><BR>One particular memory comes to mind when we were in Herrenchiemsee in November and they were repainting the exterior of the building (scaffolding) and cleaning out the fountains. That was disappointing but it sure gave me a better appreciation of the amount of work that goes into the upkeep of these places.<BR><BR>-brownie

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Russ

Hello, XXXXX (very creative name)<BR><BR>You can tour Marksburg Castle, the most popular and most worthwhile castle on the Rhein, throughout the winter from 11:00 to 4:00 pm. (except on Dec. 24 and 31.) It's in Braubach, just south of Koblenz, on the east bank of the river. Trains from the north or south are frequent, should you decide on rail travel. I find that most who say "drive" have never taken the trains in Germany, which are frequent and efficient and serve about 6,000 stations - just about everywhere you'd want to go. I prefer to carry less luggage and take the train whenever possible so I don't have to navigate and can socialize with my travel companions or just look out the window - driving is more like work for me. See Ricksteves.com for packing suggestions if you try the train.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 04:32 PM
ttt

topping this great thread, with its great message header<BR>