Search

A few musings and a little ranting

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few musings and a little ranting

AFternoon all,

This subject goes along with my post/questions regarding Ray Skinner/or driver guides..it got me thinking:

It's time for an executive decision! After getting some good info from the poster about a hire/driver, I was worried about the itenerary. This is the second trip for family, and third for me. In the past I created an itenery to please everyone. Oh, don't think I didn't have a great time, I did!

In the beginning, I approached this one differently. In addition to things we all agreed on, we had 6 days to play with. I informed all that they should choose one day and plan it. It could be a day in London, a day trip...anything. Just plan it. We all go, and it would be interesting to see what transpired. If anything it would be memorable. And I thought a good learning experience for the 2 teens. I was disappointed when they all( husband, 2 quasi adults ) rebelled. It was mutiny. Sigh. Only brother in law thought it good idea. So we went back to their list, and my planning.

But after thinking about the last 2 trips and what I remembered best, I polled the family for same thoughts. They remembered people, incidents, feelings views of the countryside. Did not remember details of castles, museums (except for the mummy) etc.

Okay, so the current itenerary is filled with their hopes, and it's time for ME! Selfish, yep, but I'm gonna do it. My executive decision is to skip Warwick, skip Stratford upon Avon and get the driver totake us all over the cotswolds for a day! Little towns and villages.

I'm taking my idea AND my day.But will gove them option of not going. Hey, I could end up in the Cotwolds with a great looking driver...who knows? This will truly be a Mom's day out!

Thanks for letting me rant.

Viv

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:43 AM
ira

Hey viv,

Why limit it to one day? Hire a car and spend 3 days wandering through the Cotswolds.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:43 AM

It's so funny that you've come to this conclusion viv, because after your last response to me on your other thread, my first reaction was-it's HER day and they're spending 4 hrs at Warwick Castle for the husband & then on to Stratford for the kids and what will be left for her?...nothing! I was going to point this out to you, but yesterday I got chastised on another thread for calling someone's sister selfish because she was sending her on a wild goose chase for a baby's costume in London.

So bottom line, I say good for you, but I warn you from personal experience, if the rest of the gang is going to be bored doing what you want to do, you <i>would</i> be better going on your own. Otherwise you may not have a good time yourself.

Now a few odd thoughts-The kids could go to Stratford themselves by train. They might even enjoy it better. If they're really into Shakespeare, they'd be much better off seeing one of his plays IMO, than trotting through Stratford. Also there's a show called The Abridged Shakespeare (or something like that) in London that people love. It attempts to combine every one of his plays &amp; is supposed to be quite funny.

Here's a website with info on Shakespeare's London

http://www.rdg.ac.uk/globe/Articles/London.htm

There's also a guidebook available that gives a 2 hr walking tour of Shakespeare's London &amp; London Walks may do one as well.

I'm not up on castles &amp; dungeons for your husband so I'll leave that to others. Obviously the Tower of London is both.

But interestingly, you never did say what exactly you were interested in seeing in the Cotswolds (apart from mentioning places). If you do have particular interests you should say because there are a few very knowledgeable posters here.

Here's a website that has a list of events plus lots of other info on the area

http://www.visitcotswoldsandsevernva...ions/index.asp

Also the website thisisthecotswolds.com has info.

I hope you have good weather on your day. ENJOY!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:47 AM

I think the play you are referring to is the Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged). I have already bought my tickets for March and can't wait!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:10 AM
ron

I think McLaurie's question about what you want to do in the Cotswolds is a good one. I assumed, when I responded to your related posting, that this trip is happening in the near future. I shortchanged the Cotswold in my suggestion because, much as I love the English countryside (and I do a lot of country walking when I am over there), the idea of spending a number of hours driving around the Cotswolds in the, possibly rainy, probably grey and bleak, midwinter does not much attract me.

If there are specific things you want to see (and they are open), great. If it is just driving around, I am certainly sympathetic to your family not wanting to participate.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmm,sounds like it's time to reveal the real me. After years of being teased, I hope my skin is thick enough to take it. So here goes. I love trains and outdoor model villages. There, I said it. It's out in the open. lol I have a garden train that runs inside and outside. Mostly inside these days due to the dogs desire to destroy it. Bourton on the Water has a model village of itself...outside. Inside the model is another model of the model. The whole idea is facinating to me. Also, I hope to get photos of homes,shops etc in the villages to reproduce at home with a product called jigstones. You cast with a cement product and assemble the way you want in 1/2&quot; scale appropriate for an LGB railway.

There are a number of intersting things related to this hobby in the area, most of which are closed during the winter. With one in college, and the other starting next fall, it may be a while before I can return.(5 years since last visit)

The Cotswolds day is an option for the ones who would like to go. I'm going either way, rain or shine or snow or ice, unless the driver says no. The guys are welcome to go to Warwick. Yes, I'd love to see it too, just can't do everything.

I'm going to paste our intenerary that I posted on the other thread so you can see what we're up to

Hopefully we'll be able to catch the adbidged works Of mr. S. It may bejust me and my daughter...the guys are also big on live music.They , all 3 , play music and have plenty of things they want to see and do and hear in London day and night.

Here's the plan, they gave me a list, and this is how it worked out. Still many,many detail to work on. Restaurants on holidays etc.

Arrive London. Rest, wandering walks, see decorations if possible.

2Christmas day: Day to Cantebury for service, lunch, and drive to Dover.(This is an organized day tour)

3. Boxing Day. Eurostar to Paris a.m. for overnight.
4. Paris return to London at night
5.London- Camden Markets.
6.Day tour to Bath and stonehenge
7.free day in London
8.Day in Cotswolds
9.free day in London
10.Free day in London
11. Return home

The free days in London are the days to visit museums, walks, shopping etc.The free days are actually filled up, but we'll split up to do different things.

Viv
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 12:12 PM

Nothing to be embarrassed about Viv. I know a VERY wealthy real estate magnate who's hobby is trains. So you know where you want to go &amp; what you want to see-perfect. Enjoy!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mclaurie. I'm way too senstive about it. The condescending looks from some some friends and some family have got me a little gunshy. Gee, some of my women friends...they way they say &quot; you like to play with TRAINS?&quot;

Speaking of which, it's time to set up the Christmas tree, and the Train and PLAY!

Viv
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:27 PM
vcl

Viv:

Doesn't everyone play with trains? If you want to see some special ones, skip Paris and take the Eurostar to Brussels. Outside the city center is a wonderful miniature world with great trains, planes, boats, gondolas, et al. I'm just not sure if it's open in winter. We visited in April.
If you have guys interested in men in tin suits and all that weaponry stuff, send them out to the Royal Armouries in Leeds while you enjoy the Cotswalds. It's a really nifty place.
Have a great trip.
Virginia
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 05:11 PM

People who make fun of those with real hobbies probably spend all their free time watching TV.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

travelnut: LOL! Good point.

vcl: that's a good suggestion. If I get another chance, I'll do it.

Update on Cotswolds: During dinner, I made THE announcement. Explained about the driver/car. After a few minutes of silence the table erupted...they don't want to miss the Cotwolds. Now they are in a quandry. Looks like we may split up. LOL. It's really getting comical.

I didn't tell you that originally DH had 2 days in Italy scheduled. in addition to Paris and London. We would have had to take No-Doze the entire trip.

Viv
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 04:02 AM
ira

Hi Viv,

Looks like a nice trip.

Will the Shakespeare addicts be going to the Globe Theatre?
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira, thanks.
The Shakespear addicts are rethinking Stratford and may look for a performance in London. Either at the Globe, if there is one available, or perhaps the comedy currently running. I think its the Complete works of Shakespear abridged. The itenerary is pretty full, but I think doable. I'll leave it to them to get tickets if they want.
There are 2 kinds of travel we manage: vacations and trips/tours. This is most certainly the latter. No lazing about all day long, soaking up the sun. lol.