Reload this Page >

A few London suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 02:15 PM
BTilke

I have a 3-day biz trip to London coming up in early Jan. Fortunately, I will have plenty of free time on two of the three days. I have a yen to poke about the Burlington Arcades, are they worth a visit? Also, can someone recommend a really good *coffee* bar--someplace with great atmosphere in a good neighborhood (I'm not interesting in going out to Hampstead, though; I was there in early December and very disappointed, it's gotten much more congested and has less of village feel than it used to). I'm staying in the Regents Park area. Also, can someone recommend a play that a) is worth seeing and b) still has tickets available? Is Judi Dench appearing in anything at the moment?

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 02:21 PM
janis

Judi Dench is in the Royal Family at the Haymarket - don't miss it.<BR><BR>The Burlington Arcade is very nice but won't take too much time unless you are into cashmere, toy soldiers or one ot two other specialized things. It is just up the road from both Fortnum and Mason and the Royal Academy so you can do a loop through all three.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Doug

I saw "Stones in His Pockets" and "Noises Off" last week and both were very good. I recommend spending the extra money to get seats as close to the stage as possible, especially for "Noises Off" which is in a huge theatre (Picadilly Theatre). "Stones in His Pockets" is in a much smaller theatre, but it's only a 2-man show with limited props, so I think you'd enjoy it more if you were close to the stage. Also, the actors' facial expression are hilarious.<BR><BR>I purchased my tickets through www.ticketmaster.co.uk and picked them up at the theatre before the show. It was very easy (just bring the credit card you used to buy the ticket). This web site also tells you the exact seat number you are purchasing before you buy the ticket.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 03:36 PM
London

look for TIME OUT at your decent newsstand.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 03:54 PM
janis

There really isn't much need to pay ticketmaster's fees. I saw Noises Off from the 1/2 price booth (twice) and the worst seat I got was in the 6th row. Once I was in the front row (too close but still OK)<BR><BR>The Official 1/2 price booth has the best seats for most shows - except the Lion King and the Cameron Mackintosh biggies (Le Miz, Phantom)