Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A Few Comments -Written While in Scotland

Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi, all.

About halfway through our Scottish adventure now, and having a great time. Boston to London, then a drive north, stopping in Yorkshire for one night.

Three nights in Dunkeld - attended the Blair Atholl Parade (off and on rain and showers, a little chilly) and then the Highland Games at Blair Castle the next day (same weather).

Over to Oban and across on the ferry to Mull. Early morning ferry to Iona - a beautiful day, but cold enough to wish for gloves!

Two days to drive up to Mallaig (hoping for ferry to Skye, but it was "broken"), and back, then up to the drive through "the Pass of the Sheep" (breathtaking! in every sense of the word!) to Applecross and back down through the Highlands.

We're east of Inverness today, enjoying very warm and sunny weather (with a little shower threatening just now). Went to the Northeast Falconry Center (nr. Huntly) this morning and found it fascinating! Then a walk around the ruins of Huntly Castle, lunch in Huntly, and the short drive to Elgin for the Cathedral and Biblical Garden. We're now at the library (hubby is a website designer and needs to do some work!).

Tomorrow we're going to drive along the northern coast of Moray and then down the east, heading vaguely toward Aberdeen and environs. Then we'll be going inland a bit (Crathes, etc.) and south (Stonehaven, Verdant Works (the jute factory), and so forth).

Afterwards, a few more days in England and we move toward London for our flight in about 10 days. (Oh, the choices, should those few days be in Yorkshire or the Lakes? Or both? Delicious decisions...)

Mom and Dad (late 70's) are doing well and loving the trip - although Mom can't "do" many stairs, but she finds things to entertain herself while we go up the winding staircases of ruins, etc. DH and I are also having a great time.

Have found wonderful B&B's so far (knock on wood!), and the weather has been more good than bad (and two of the rainy days were just long driving days, so we didn't care).

Supposedly we've got a spell of good weather coming up.

Will write more details (a "proper" trip report) when we return, but wanted to pop in and let you know how our trip is progressing (and, of course, I have little else to do while hubby is working away!).

Gayle
Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:29 PM

thanks for posting, I am sure you will enjoy either York area or the Lake District. Wishing you fair weather and safe travels, Deborah
Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:37 PM

Thanks for taking time to post.
Are you living in Boston too?
We're having very bad weather!
Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:22 PM

Great start. Can't wait for the "formal" report. Too bad about the ferry - but at least it didn't "break" while you were on board

The bit about the Flaconry center brings back a fond memory. One time I was taking two friends from Devon on their first tour around the highlands. We were driving from Huntly to Dufftown and saw the signs for the center. Unfortunately we got there near closing time and just as a downpoor hit. We were the only people there and the staff refunded our tickets but felt sorry for us and invited the three of us into the cafe to dry off. Then in came two of the handlers w/ 2 HUMONGOUS owls and they proceeded to let us "fly" the owls around the cafe and hold them for photos, etc. After about 1/2 an hour they gave us cups of tea and then sent us on our way.

On a later trip I stopped there and finally got to see the eagles, falcons, etc flying to the top of the hill.
Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:00 PM

Thanks for posting. Glad you're having a good time
Jun 3rd, 2006, 03:22 PM

Leon... I just read a book called "Dog Eat Dog" by Jane & Michael Stern, who write the Road Food books. They have a piece in there about Leonbergers, and even a picture!