Search

a dilema

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 03:26 AM
janey

a dilema

In view of the recent spate of antisemitic occurrences in France, we are rethinking our two week trip in Oct. At first we thought this will be handled by the French government.but time has passed and we wonder now if it is an idea that should be re thought.This is certainly more than a political statement on the part of the French. Attacks against fellow citizens and desacration of cemataries and destruction of synogogues are not "political" matters. We wonder if this has been on anyone elses mindand if anyone has changed plans.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:43 AM
Howard

We had that same feeling and weren't sure what to do. Fred told us basically the same thing he posted to you and he was right. There were no problems whatsoever and we never felt threatened in any way. You should e-mail him or go to his site for all the information you need.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:04 AM
janey

I did not make myself clear. My concern is not for our safety. My dilema is a moral one. I wonder if it is proper to spend money in a country that has no concern for a number of its citizens. We live in a world community and it behooves us to pay attention when the rights of people are ignored. Although we have planned this trip for so long, there are other places to go and spend ones money. My question is really , is this a question troubling anyone else?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:18 AM
Eric

We were in Paris in May of this year and our protest was to go over to the Jewish section and spend money. We ate a very good meal and did some shopping.<BR><BR>We went on a Sunday and felt very safe. It seemed like all of Paris was eating and shopping with us. If the French don't like Jews they sure have a funny way of showing it, there were thousands of parisians in the streets.<BR><BR>Go and have a good time.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:30 AM
Howard

We had no problem with the moral question. 99% of the people are great, like our country. Here there are problems, there they have problems, all over there are problems. As for Fred, it's not $5 he asks for; it's $10 and we sent him $20. His book and advice was worth a lot more than that. If you don't want to buy it, don't, but you probably use it and don't pay, which in my mind is stealing.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:36 AM
Janice

Dear Janey,<BR>I am very sympathetic to your concerns, and admire you for being thoughtful enough to consider the impact of your travel on the world. I would advise you to go ahead and make your trip - it is almost impossible to find a place to visit that does not have some government policies that might be offensive to someone. The idea of staying in the Marais and patronizing Jewish restaurants and businesses is a good one. Also, consider that you will be in France, and able to express your concerns in person and demonstrate that there are people from outside France who are aware of and concerned by anti-Semitism in France.<BR>Have a wonderful trip. I am sure that your sensitivity and intelligence will be well rewarded.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:40 AM
jorge

In almost every country people nock on the jews... I think your talking abou the lapen (spelling) ultra right movembet in france.. Who cares go have fun.. if it where a moreal thing you'd be living on the moon since there problems everywhere..

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:53 AM
Eric

We were in Paris in May of this year and our protest was to go over to the Jewish section and spend money. We ate a very good meal and did some shopping.<BR><BR>We went on a Sunday and felt very safe. It seemed like all of Paris was eating and shopping with us. If the French don't like Jews they sure have a funny way of showing it, there were thousands of parisians in the streets.<BR><BR>Go and have a good time.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:58 AM
areyoublind

"I wonder if it is proper to spend money in a country that has no concern for a number of its citizens."<BR><BR>Perhaps you ought to take a more careful look at where you (and I) live before you start throwing stones at other people's glass houses.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:24 AM
Vincent

It is true that there was a series of attacks against Jewish cultural or sports associations or synagogues this winter/spring. They were launched, or so it seems, by radical Muslim youths from the Paris suburbs. These attacks have now stopped, which seems to annihilate the accusation of passivity/complicity on behalf of the French police made by equally radical Jewish American groups. You are obviously not very aware of the actual social situation in France, of the fact that this country is host to Europe's largest Muslim and Jewish communities. The fact that the former, like the African American community in the States, is heavily affected by unemployment and disenfranchisement, associated with the current situation in the Middle East, might explain (not excuse, of course) such attacks, which, I repeat, are over. The repeated beatings of African American citzens by white policemen - among other acts of racism - don't prevent me from going to the States, since I know that this is, as France is, a vibrant society, with positive and negative forces at play.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:36 AM
nyer

janey-I live in NYC-there are plenty of anti-semites here! WHat should I do????<BR>If you want to travel and see another country,you don't really have to get into the nitty gritty of the way the people there think and behave,as long as it isn't dangerous.And everywhere you go,there can be an element of danger.So this is really your decision to make.<BR>The only thing that changed our minds about travel was thinking that flying might be a little more frightening than usual!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:38 AM
Howard

Eric has given an excellent response to Janey's dilemma. We, too, were in Paris in May, right after the election. We felt no moral dilemma before we left, witnessed nothing while there to change our favorable views of the French, came home feeling no different about the attitudes of the French towards Jews than the attitudes of Americans that we know.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:50 AM
janey

I want to thank you all for your advice. I did not know if I would receive any replies because my question is really a downer and most queries tend to be more upbeat. Once again thanks, your thoughts have helped to shed some light on the question.