a different type of packing

Jun 6th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

a different type of packing

It's fun to read what people pack, but I've discovered some good things that no one mentioned. First, save old clothes and then take them, either to wear on the plane or to sleep/ exercise,etc. E.g.stretched-out underwear or tees with coffee stains. Then, toss them when they're too dirty to wear again. Use the room for the new stuff you will buy!--
Second, always carry silk ski underwear which comes in all types: sleeveless turtles, shells, long johns, long sleeves, etc. Folds down to nothing, so great in a back pack and good for layering. You can use the long johns as pants liners on cold days, or as travel pants or pjs.Also, can change on the plane when traveling from one climate to another!
Third, pack a miracle cloth (cleaning item) or swimmer's towel--super absorbant and great for washing things in hotels, like jeans. You roll the washed item in them and they absorb a ton of water. (This is good if you only have one night in a place.) If the item is hard to dry, you can always blow dry with a hair dryer after you
squeeze out the water.
If you can wash a few items, you can pack less stuff. And you don't need laundry soap. You can wash clothes during your shower with a little shampoo.
Finally, I always bring some extra ziplock bags and a little roll of scotchtape and some post-it notes. They always come in handy during the journey.
Life is such a trip! I'd be interested to learn if anyone else has stuff like this they pack.
Sue
Jun 7th, 2003, 04:41 PM

Can't understand why one would even keep old stretched-out underware or tees with stains on them let alone wear them on vacation! Every city we have been in has laundry mat where you can do it yourself or have someone do it for you if you don't want to carry a lot of clothes.

Always bring duct tape with you, it repairs suitcases and works in an emergency to repair clothes or hems.

Zip lock bags are a must!
Jun 7th, 2003, 05:19 PM
dga

Susan
I agree with your idea of wearing old underwear. I replace mine at Marks and Spencer in London which sells high quality mens mesh front shorts and undershirts.
I always carry a small 6-inch long flashlight powered by 2 AA batteries. The flashlight is small and very light weight and can be carried in your pocket/purse.
I wind several feet of duct tape around an ink pen,for ease of carrying, for use in emergencies.
Your idea of using silk underwear for warmth is also smart as I have thick thermal wear which takes up space and is rarely needed. I like to travel light.
Don
Jun 7th, 2003, 05:26 PM
PJK

I have taken clothes to throw away the last two trips we have taken. I do not take stained or worn clothes, but just things that I am tired of and have considered giving away anyway. They are things I once bought because I liked them, so I don't think I am disreputable looking. I run a lot and have old running shoes, so I take a pair of those to leave as well. I also take underwear that is toward the end of its life expectancy. On the other hand, my son usually needs laundry done, and I have to admit that many of my most interesting cultural experiences have been in laudromats.
Jun 7th, 2003, 05:34 PM

Great thread!....I too am a light packer(3 weeks China/Japan) with carry-on 20", including goose down jacket.)Thank goodness for compression bags....I shop at the thrift store before leaving...to find a good used jacket, so that if I need to leave it, not much loss. The jacket got left at Mt.Fuji for another traveler!...and London inherited one also. Also use alot of silk...shirts, underwear.....polyester blends for slacks. (usually traveling the warmer climates)......Thanks for the good ideas here....I will use them.
Jun 7th, 2003, 05:58 PM

gee, what if I got hit by a bus wearing that stained underwear...lol
Jun 7th, 2003, 06:39 PM

I you do.. I am afraid that your Mom will be very upset Cigalanta..... After all these years,I can still hear my Mom tell me " To Wear Clean Underwear....
Jun 7th, 2003, 06:40 PM

" If"
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:19 PM

Aside from underwear, and some outer clothes as well, I always pack a tiny nightlight so I don't get unsightly bruises that the above clothing won't cover, by banging into things during the night when I go to the bathroom. For 110 current there are some very very tiny nightlightl plugins in supermarkets that are smaller than a greek olive. For 220 I have picked up a larger nightlight in Europe, usually with a kid's theme; lots of fun.
Jun 8th, 2003, 10:25 AM

I take the opposite approach (from used clothes and throw away underwear) ...

I too pack light, but I pick my 4-5 very *best* outfits from my regular wardrobe for the season I'll be traveling in. Casual to dressier, mix and match, packable fabrics, clothes that I know I look and feel good wearing.

I wash out undies or tops but would never attempt jeans in a hotel shower or sink. Therefore no need for that extra towel or hair dryer.
Jun 9th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

This is a fun thread -- so many great ideas! When I mentioned stained tees, I meant for sleeping or going on power walks, etc. -- not for being seen in public! And the stretched out underwear
was for the same. (Please, please don't get hit by a bus!) Also, I really like the duct tape suggestions. The thrift shop idea is good, too. There are some nice Oxfam thrift shops in Europe in which I found nice gifts for people back home!
By the way,often it's really hard to find laundromats in a lot of cities, especially if you have limited time like 2-3 days. (I did find a nice one in London, 5 blocks up from Marble Arch, on a sidestreet off the Edgeware Road. I had tons of laundry after travelling for 2 weeks, but usually I can make do by washing stuff in the shower at night a few times during the trip.) The special towels I mentioned are small, but very absorbant.
Another great fabric is that parachutte-like material. Very light and dries fast. Not too many clothes made with it. Tencel is also fast drying and doesn't wrinkle so much, but can be heavy to carry.
Thanks for the great ideas!!
sue