Search

A Day in Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Day in Vienna

Hello.

I will be in Vienna with a group of 17 and they will all have one day to do whatever they want (as individuals, not as the whole group). Can you guys tell me different things I can give them as options?

Thanks!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 01:05 AM

Buy a day ticket and take the ring bus at Schottentor and you can stop any of the historic monuments you like andthen continue with the ring tour.Take a cup of 'Kaisermelange' at one of the historic cafes at Graben or Kaetnerstrasse.Stephansdom is 'must'
there are many shops and restaurants around 'Kaernerstrasse'-Schwedenplatz-Graben.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:51 AM

I don't understand. Will the group only be in Vienna 1 day or will they be there longer and have toured some of the sites and this one day is for independent touring? In any event, possible options are:
Cathedral area and Graben area
Opera House
Belvidere
Museums
Schonbrunn
Prater
Grinzing
Wachau Valley (full day trip)
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. To clarify: we will only be there for one day.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:54 AM

Don't know what time of year you will be visiting, but as previously mentioned Grinzing is one of the wine growing villages just a short tram ride outside of the city center. There are numerous "Heuriger" where you can get a good meal and some great local wine while sitting outside and enjoying the warm weather.

For a first-time visitor with limited time, I would suggest a visit to the Hofburg, the royal palace of the Hapsburgs, which is located on the Ringstrasse in the center of the old town. http://www.hofburg.wien.info/

Then perhaps a tour of the Museum of Fine Art or the Natural History Museum across the street. The rest of the afternoon I would spend just wandering the streets of the old town with a stop for lunch in the lovely Cafe Central in the Palais Ferstel not far from St. Stephen's Cathedral.

http://www.vienna.com/touren1.php?lang=en
http://www.woodford.redbridge.sch.uk...fecentral.html

For dinner, I'd suggest going to Grinzing for some good food, wine and entertainment.

To me, that would be a perfect day in Vienna.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:46 AM
MaureenB

In addition to the good ideas above, I'd suggest seeing the Lippizzaner stallions at the Hofburg's Spanish Riding School. They are not in town, though, during the summer months, so check the website. The Morning Exercise with Music is much less expensive than a full-blown performance (which I think is only on Sundays), and we liked it. Any horse-lovers in your group might be interested. You can also tour the stables there, to see them up close and personal.

We also really liked the royal apartment tour at the Hofburg.