A day in Marseille...

Search

A day in Marseille...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
A day in Marseille...

Having been through Marseille a couple of times (total of one night in a minus two star hotel), I've never spent a whole day there.

But we're calling at Marseille on a Med. cruise next month and I'm wondering: if you had just a day (say 9 to 5), what would you do with it? Options include wandering around town (it will be a Friday), hopping a train somewhere, or renting a car. How long to get to some of the Luberon villages? (And back - remember it's a Friday.) Any ones in particular that are in the shouldn't-miss category?

Or are there any in-city treasures you'd like to share? Thanks very much.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's the Château d'If, where the fictional Count of Monte-Cristo was imprisoned; two fine churches; a very good art museum; a major archeological museum; and for me, the Carbonel santon atelier and museum.

With only 9 to 5 I'd be reluctant to head up into the Lubéron, but you could run over to Aix.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'd go to the old port, if it's market day. a feast for the eyes, and every day, Le Marche aux poissons where you will see more species of fish for sale than anywhere else in France, and for lunch why not have the famous bouilliabaise(sp?) at Chez Fon Fon
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:37 PM

At the end of my first trip to France, I spent my last day in Marseille. Stopped at the tourist bureau, telling them I had a day only in the city, and what should I do? They suggested a boat cruise from the port.

So I went down to the port, and rather than doing the tour, I hopped a small boat that was doing the trip out to Chateau D'If. But rather than getting off at Chateau D'If with the masses, I stayed on the boat and got off at its next stop: Ile Du Frioul.

There was NO ONE on the entire island. It's not a tourist stop. As a fishing island, the only people who take a boat out to it are the occasional locals who go to fish. And there are very few.

There are some abandoned remnants of times gone by on the island and nothing else. It's a great place for hiking. The best thing about this small island is its little coves with spectacular, stunningly clear water. I just spent the afternoon jumping off the rocks and swimming endlessly, with the whole island to myself. Trust me-- Ile de Frioul is the best kept secret in France.

It was the perfect way to end my trip.

I had found paradise off the coast of Marseille. Go there. You'll love it.

tania
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Tania, great suggestion, thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Whoa. Cool. Thanks Tania.

Underhill and Cigalechanta, thanks to you too. I was afraid the Lubéron was a bit far, and pricing rental cars for day hires was a serious reality check. Been to Aix enough not to want to return. So maybe we'll poke around the fish and flower markets (both open) then get some zillion-Euro bouillaibaise. Then off to the islands.

Unless there are other ideas....? Thankyou..thankyouverrymuch.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:09 AM

Perhaps a visit to nearby Cassis? The boat ride through the calanques (fjords) is interesting.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:47 AM

Be careful of the restaurants right around the Vieux Port; some are first-rate tourist traps, and you can end up paying a mint for unexciting food. The clue: if the waiter tries to get you to order something other than what you want ("The fish is the house specialty,"and you end up being charged a small fortune by the ounce), get up and leave.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, my only prior night in Marseille (the one with hotel hell) involved one of those places around the old port. No worries.