A day in Killarney

Search

A day in Killarney

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A day in Killarney

Hello everyone, and thank you all again for your itinerary advice back in January for our trip in July. We've decided to forgo Skellig Michael (seasickness, heights) and spend a day exploring Killarney National Park/the Gap of Dunloe, which will also give our driver (my husband) a day off. We're staying at Friar's Glen, near Muckross, for two nights.

I'm wondering how to organize that day, as there seem to be all sorts of options for tours, etc. There are four of us, my husband and I and our two children, son age 15 and daughter age 11. We like to hike (two of us like to bike, too), and I can't see us sitting in a jaunting car for too long unless it is moving at a reasonable clip. We'd also like to visit Ross Castle (some of the tours don't seem to leave time for this) and perhaps Innisfallen Island as well--I think I read about a rowboat rental option? My daughter would probably love the farm at Muckross House, too (we're doing a hawk walk with Killarney Falconry the next morning, before making our way to County Clare).

Any advice for us? Thanks in advance! Anamaria.
Old May 25th, 2015, 02:09 PM

http://gapofdunloetours.com/ have some options that might be worth a look to tick a couple of your boxes.
Old May 25th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tony. It seems that http://killarneydaytour.com/ offers something similar, too. I'm trying to figure out whether we could fit in a visit to, say, Muckross House before or after the day tour--it's hard to tell (or at least not obvious to me, but I could be missing something) how long everything takes. How much pony-and-trap traffic will there be? Alternatively, how long is the walk? do folks recommend exploring Innisfallen Island or just seeing it by boat, and why or why not? etc.

Possibly I am overthinking this I am sure it would be a lovely day if we just had a leisurely breakfast and took a tour, but since we are not ordinarily tour people I am tempted to micromanage. Just wait til I ask about the drive to County Clare
Old May 26th, 2015, 08:26 AM

County Clare I can help with.. better than Killarney anyway but then I live on the Clare/Galway border.

Killarney will sort itself.. Friars Glen to Muckross is probably walkable definitely within cycle range. I have never been "onto" Innisfallen but fished just off there many years ago from a row boat.

Micro planning and Ireland just don't fall into the same sentence..
Old May 27th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again! I'll put my Clare dilemma in another thread (basically it's planning a route from Killarney, leaving around 11, to our b&b at Ballinalacken)...but it looks like there too we would benefit from a little flexibility. I might just ask the folks at friar Glen to sort it out for us--they've been very nice so far, as has everyone we've contacted in Ireland. best, A.
Old May 27th, 2015, 10:30 AM

Lots of options. whilst you are in West Clare you might find some points of interest on this map https://goo.gl/UtW24m and you are more than welcome to come over this side and explore some of East Clare and the Lough Derg area if you have time.
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

That map is very helpful, thank you! We were thinking of taking the ferry over; question is whether or not to drive around the Dingle peninsula first, or just cross and explore around Kilkee on the way up to the Cliffs....