Search

A crazy fast paced European Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A crazy fast paced European Itinerary

Hiya!

I just finished putting together the itinerary for my 3 week vacation to Europe. This is my first time in Europe. I'm going alone and want to hit the highlights I love big cities so I'm mainly going to focus on the big cities. I'd love to get opinions and ideas for my trip.

The itinerary for 3 weeks

May 12 leave Atlanta to Berlin (2 layovers in Washington D.C and a town I never heard of in Germany)
May 13 arrive in Berlin that afternoon (saturday)
May 16 Leave Berlin for Rome (Easyjet)
May 20 Leave Rome for Florence Just spending the night in Florence
May 21 Arrive in Venice around 6 or so.
May 23 Leave Venice for Barcelona on My Air.
May 28 Leave Barcelona for Paris on Vueling
May 31 Leave Paris for London Eurostar train ($90)
June 4 Leave London for Georgia.

Whenever someone presents an itinerary they always get chastised for not saying what they like. I"m 24 and I'm single so a quiet romantic vacation is not what I'm after. Mainly I want to enjoy myself and see history and museums. Especially in Italy. But coming from a small conservative army town Im fascinated by big cities so just the novelty of the big city will be fun. Also being from an army town I know so many people who go on and on about how great Germany is and while I wasn't interested at first my curiosity has been picqued and I have to at least see what the fuss is about for a couple of days.

Berlin, Rome, Barcelona and London will all be hit on the weekend so those will be my party stops. Picturesque villages and quiet evenings don't interest me. Maybe if I wasn't by myself. I'm single why not mingle? Silence just irks me. I'm definately a noise a holic and a quiet a phobic. Anybody who's read this book "Lullaby" by Chuck Pahluhniuk knows what I'm talking about. However I might go to the mountains or Girona for a day in Barcelona but that'll be the most I'll spend outside of the cities.

Also does anyone have experience with such a fast paced vacation? How was it? Did it feel like a contest to see the most sites? My vacation to New York, Seattle and Montreal were like that and I want to try to avoid that. Is there a way to relax and still see and do a lot? I've never done a vacation like this before, any sage advice?

Right now Barcelona will be the place I'll spend the most time in. I'll spend 3 (2 full days) nights in Paris and 4 (3 full days) in London. Should I do 4 (3 full days) in Paris and 3 (2 full days) in London? Or maybe I could take a late train from Paris and spend a final half day before heading to England. What do yall think?

I do thank yall for yall's time,

Terrence
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:22 AM

The pace at which you sight see is totally up to you. If you're exhausted, for example, by the time you get to Paris, sleep in and sit outside at a cafe and watch the world go by.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:25 AM

Actually it doesn't seem that fast-paced to me. Maybe you should think about why your vacations to NY, Montreal and Seattle were fast-paced and what you'd have done differently. That will give you some ideas for things to avoid during your trip to Europe.

When there's not much time I think that it's important to do the research and make reservations or buy advanced tickets for museums that take them and that may have long lines. If there's something you definitely want to see check the opening hours carefully to avoid disappointment.

Personally I don't think that you can relax and see a lot, but it seems like your itinerary allows for some downtime.

For comparison, I've planned a 3-day trip in April during which I'll be flying into a different city every day. But I've been to all three, so it's a little different.

Last year I did a trip when I went to five different cities by train all on the same day. I also did a trip where I was in five different cities/towns in Italy in 3.5-4 days.

I quite enjoyed them, actually, but I think that most people would not be able to tolerate these sorts of trips.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:28 AM

I think what bothers me is that you will be in places with attractions of great educational benefit. If you are not going to learn about the region, learn something about the culture of the nations you visit, then why are you bothering to go.

At the pace you are running through it, you will come home not much wiser than you are now.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:29 AM

111op, you are the gold medal winner for the quickest city to city traveler in the shortest amount of time. Mike
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:34 AM

I gladly accept the honor, Mike, regardless of whether you meant it genuinely. I figured that I need a new challenge in April.

I feel like I'm doing a more interesting version of Art Buchwald's 6-minute Louvre:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...256/ai_3453390

(Found out about it here, I think -- of course the article is satire, but it's possible to do something more interesting and educational.)

I'll see a different art show in each city. In Paris I also expect to hear a Wagner opera (if partially).

Unclear how many museums and churches are on this itinerary yet. I'm doing the planning.

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:41 AM

oh, don't let Ira see this....
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:47 AM

"Hi victorious, with only one week on a budget, I suggest Paris.

We always stay at Hotel Bonaparte. Doubles are 124 euros."

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:50 AM

I don't think this itinerary is that bad.

I do consider these factors when setting an itinerary.
* Cost of flight to Europe.
* Cost of intra-Europe flights.
* Cost of on-the-ground transportation.
* Total number of hours spent in transport.
* Total effective number of hours on the ground.
* Expected living expenses per day in each city.

If you have a trip with a lot of intra-Europe flights and/or on-the-ground transportation, you reduce the total effective number of hours on the ground, which ups your per-effective-hour expense.

This formula is complicated by the fact that on-the-ground transportation is not a total loss, because you can often see quite interesting things from the train or bus. Maybe I would count on-the-ground transportation as being 50% effective, but I would count flight time as more or less a total loss in terms of effectiveness.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Well it's six cities in 3 weeks. Doesn't seem that unreasonable (I didn't count Florence).

As I said, doesn't seem that fast-paced.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Hey yall
Thanks for the responses. I like to think that this trip will be well planned. I know which hotels I'm staying in mostly hostels and one star type places. But thanks for info about hotel bonapart. A smart traveler has back up hotels.

The reason I was so exhausted on previous trips was I tried to do too much. I've made a list of the must see can't live withouts. I will let some things go and just be glad that I'm there.

That's an intersting point about education because I'm sure my mom will say the same thing. She's very mad about me changing my mind about doing study abroad and just going on my own. But I think I'll learn things I am going to museums I'm seeing the coleseum and the forum. I don't think one can travel without learning something even if they're learning from their mistakes. LIke in Montreal mostly I went to clubs , got drunk and stayed out til dawn but I also went to museums and learned about Montreal just by walking on the streets and observiing. I even learned a couple of french words. So learning is so automatic if you ask me.

Well I'm going to be late for work.

Thank yall

Terrence
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Great source for first time travelers: European Planning & Rail Guide, available free at: www.budgeteuropetravel.com - lots of trains and lots of other things and free - best free guide i know of, especially for novice Euro travelers.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Well, when I was 22 (I'm only 28 now...) I did 9 countries in 5 weeks on a backpacking trip. It was utterly exhausting with some difficult situations. BUT, it was without a doubt the best experience of my life. I have since returned to 3 of those countries based on my "whirlwind" experience and am now planning a honeymoon based on the 5 days I spent in Cinque Terra and the rest of Italy. I think the value of visiting a bunch of places quickly is that you get a taste for what you like. You get to see what you want to go back to in the future (alone, with a significant other, whatever) for a longer period of time to experience more "in-depth".

Good luck, have fun, and see all that you can!

Oh, and I would suggest a little less time in London for Paris, you can see more based in Paris and IMO, it is more interesting and further from our own culture (if that is what you are looking for). Le Mont-Saint-Michel is an all-time favorite of mine.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Sounds great, our last trip was 5 cities in 2.5 weeks and was not a bad pace at all. Good job in putting it together.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:17 PM

You are going to enjoy yourself and if you are into partying, then Barcelona is a great idea. There are a lot of fun places near the Plaza Reial (off the ramblas), particularly club Royal and Jamboree (which at night is a great dance spot). In the Raval you have La Paloma, which is a danceclub that everyone goes to, and Enfants, which is where I had my best dance night ever.

There are also a number of fabulous bars where you can just sit and have a beer or drink. And though you are traveling alone, if you are into partying and mingling, you will be hardpressed not to find others who are doing the same and who will go out with you. In fact, I have found that a lot of the around-the-worlders actually just party for days/weeks/months at a time, and they are used to meeting up with people for an evening.

Barcelona is so much more than a party, but if that is all you want it to be, far be it from me to not tell you all the hotspots.

Claire
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Hey yall
I kinda wanted to finish what I was saying yesterday got cut off by time. Yes I still wound up being late so I could've taken my time or left the house 30 seconds earlier that's how close I was 30 seconds!

Anyways back on topic...I really like that idea of sitting at a sidewalk cafe and watching the world go by. It'll be almost June so hopefully it won't be too chilly.

And thanks Sandi like I said never done a trip this intense before so I know I have to be on my toes when it comes to planning. What all did you do in 2.5 weeks?

And Claire thanks for the nightspot tips. Barcelona is definately going to be one of my main party stops not that I won't be partying in the other cities except probably Venice I hear that it's dead in Venice at night unless you take a cab to Mestre. If anyone wants to counter that claim feel free.

And yeah 111op you rock that's hardcore traveling.

Terrence
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 11:32 AM
TMM

Victorious

This sounds good. Once, I actually covered 3 countries, in 2 weeks, so you should travel at your own pace.

Everybody's different!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 11:37 AM

My only question is, why are you spending 5 nights in Barcelona, and only 3 in Paris?

Other than that, it seems quite do-able.

Jules
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Victorious: When I was your age, like most men, I preferred quality over quantity -- in all things.

(After all, it WAS the 70s)

By the time I was 40, I appreciated quality over quantity -- in all things.

I am now in my 50s and both quality and quantity are distant memories.

Well, except for travel -- of which I have more and better than ever before.

Aw, hell -- go for it.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Tedgale "Aw hell, go for it"

I can hardly wait to be 50 if that's what it means.

Happy travels,

Jules

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -