Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A coastal town or village with wheat fields and sandy beaches?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2023, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I've always wanted to visit or live in:
- a city, town or village in a wide open plain where wheat, oats or rye is grown, extra points if it has a river
OR
- one by the sea/ocean or by a river/lake with a sandy beach

Well, of course I've been to both. But I was thinking I've yet to see a place that falls in both categories!

I really like the rustic vibe of wheat, rye or oats fields but they tend to be far inland, away from the sea in most countries as I saw in Italy, Spain and Portugal. I am not really into olive tree plantations and the likes so maybe something more Northern would combine the above two requirements?
I wonder if you know such locations one can visit (aside from France, I know it has such places but often the beaches are rocky/pebbly)?

A friend suggested Pourville-sur-Mer used to have all of them: it's on the Atlantic ocean, has beaches and a river and used to have wheat fields close to the coast in the past. Except it no longer has wheat fields anywehere near the coast and unfortunately the beaches are made of large pebbles.

Maybe you know some place where there are sandy beaches, a river, and wheat/rye/oat fields, to boot?
OK, the river isn't a must, a place having sandy shores on the sea/ocean or even lake + wheat/rye/oat fields nearby and not very mountanous would do as well!

I'm more of a wide open plains/river/seacost/rolling hills person (in that order) rather than a mountain lover. I know Berlin has a river, and beaches (on lakes but they're sandy!) and even some wheat fields but not many. Still, it qualifies in my book. I know Cornwall in the UK has wheat fields directly overlooking the beach and sea but I'd prefer a Continential European place if possible as traveling to the UK requires a visa for me as an EU passport holder now.

Budapest & Bratislava have a large river and wheat fields around some of their suburbs but I don't think they have sandy shores except for temporary beaches during the summer. Copenhagen has canals instead of a river, nice sandy beaches and also wheat or rye fields it seems. But it doesn't have to be a city, could be a small town or even a village, that way the wheat fields would probably be within walking distance from the sea/lake/river/ocean beach.

Do you think there are such places in Central Europe, The Balkans, Baltics, Scandinavia, Italy or in the Iberian peninsula specifically that match those two criteria above?
Cheers!
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 03:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
on the silver coast north of the Garonne.

Obviously lots of sand in the soil is not perfect for wheat
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 04:42 AM

You might look at the coastal towns in Suffolk and Norfolk in England’s East Anglia. Don’t leave it too late in summer, as the wheat harvest begins in mid July and August. Barley is usually harvested a little earlier.
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 05:13 AM

You don't need a visa for the UK with an EU passport. We are travelling to the UK in a couple of weeks on our Dutch passports.
Sussex or Dorset or Devon or place in Wales, would meet your requirements, as would parts of Brittany.
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all suggestions so far! Silly me I didn't check that thorough lol.