Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A big thank you to all trip report writers!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've lurked lots here, posted some, but a few weeks ago posted my first trip report. I now have a new appreciation for all the people who take the time and make the effort to write a trip report. Looking up restaurants, prices, spelling! remembering details, all is so time consuming, much less wondering if anyone will find it entertaining or at least useful.

So now a couple of questions, do you read trip reports? If you do, do you like quick overviews or lots of detail? What motivates you to write a report?

I myself read trip reports to places I want to go, places I've been, any family travel, and if I'm planning a trip, I'll pull up years old threads. I love food and room details, as well as shopping and transportation tips. I love knowing how people actually spend their day. The only problem is that the list of places I want to go keeps growing due to these wonderful trip reports!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:20 AM

I like to read a trip report that is sort of in the middle on details/length. I appreciate an excruciatingly detailed trip report, but don't usually have the time or patience to read one.

I write trip reports to help me remember and crystallize my experiences. And also to pay back my fellow Fodorites who have been so helpful to me.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:25 AM

I read the shorter reports to enjoy and get the feel of a place.
I read the long, detailed reports to help with planning.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:27 AM

I like to read trip reports too but again excruciating detail is where they lose me. i dont need to know all the minute details. What is important are exceptionally good restaurants or hotels and exceptionally bad restaurants and hotels. Also memorable sites, methods of transportation and tips to make things smoother for the next person.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:28 AM

I love Reports with recommendations of certain places but every reporter has their own style so anything goes. It would be unfair to ask certain style Report to be posted, we will get bored so quick. Thanks to all travelers who are not lazy to report.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:45 AM

I read trip reports and write them...probably too long for many of you. But that's fine. I write them for the other folks planning similar trips, especially people planning trips with kids or teens.

One thing that helps me write them is that I keep a map of the city at my desk (and possibly a small guide book). That gives me correct street names, etc.

I really appreciate it when people list specific good restaurants, along with the street address.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:33 AM

Yes, I read them and write them (also guilty of on-the-long-side).

I read them for various reasons. Sometimes I'm planning a trip and am looking for particular information. Sometimes I'm daydreaming about a trip to blank and I need a little inspiration. Somtimes I just want to read about some of my favorite places and see them through the eyes of others. And sometimes I'm stressed at work and need a mini-vacation.

I appreciate all different types of reports. And LOVE photos, hint hint everyone.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:43 AM

I find something new in "almost" every trip report that I read because everyone has a different perspective.

As far as writing style, well I appreciate all of them, just as I appreciate different published authors.

I really tried to post a trip report once then gave up after a few paragraphs because I was getting into personal (not private) musings from my journal. I critiqued myself and decided on my own that no one would be interested.

I wonder how many other people have had similar feelings...
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:51 AM

I read them and write them. I probably put too much detail in mine but also get comments on how someone appreciated knowing that 2 people can have a great lunch in Rome for 15 euro total.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:01 AM

We started taking notes on our trips years ago to help us remember the experience.

I think the first actual trip report I wrote was for our 2000 Europe trip that we took with friends who had never been before. I thought it might help them remember the places we had been in more detail.

I find hotel information extremely helpful, especially if the price paid is included and details on sights I want to visit such as Burg Eltz, etc.

From my own experience, it does require a certain discipline to maintain your notes while traveling but I love going back and reading about all the little details that I usually forget.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:34 PM

I read trip reports, mostly about places I've gone and those I will soon go to - oh, and the occasional one that catches my eye!

I wrote my first trip report after our London 2006 trip. It was kind of the blow-by-blow approach. My second report, summer 2006 (various places in the UK) was in outline style, which I preferred writing and I think was easier for people to use. It was still kind of long, but at least organized. My most recent was a day by day report of our March 2007 trip to Berlin. There aren't many detailed reports for that city. I'm now working on two more!

I usually sit in my recliner with my laptop, maps, guidebooks and my journal/notes spread all around me when I write.

After having written reports myself, I nearly always comment on a trip report I've read (if it's current). It's kind of weird posting something into cyberspace and not knowing if anyone is reading, so I realized how nice it is to get comments! Plus, if a report is continuing, posting a comment puts it in "my" column so I can easily check for updates.

Even if nobody reads, I would still write a report because not only am I "paying back" for all the good advice I've used, I'm "paying forward" for those who later might plan a similar trip. Plus it gives me an account for myself!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:20 PM

I do read trip reports and have learned a great deal from people who have taken the time to write up their trips. I like the ones that make me long for a place I haven't been; the ones that trigger a memory; the ones that make me smile ...

I admire those who make a wonderful effort, even in their second language (LuckyLuc wrote about Paris a couple of years ago in a way that made me yearn to go back). I like writers who tell us how they felt (Murphy's reports on her travels through France and Greece were wonderfully introspective), and those who overcome challenges (remember Mebe's fabulous report about travelling in Italy with a toddler?)

I do write trip reports. Most are written while I am travelling, and then touched up when I get home. I would hesitate to share them with many people I know, largely because they are not travellers. But here on Fodor's, I know that there are people with similar interests, so it's a pleasure to share.

Anselm
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM

I read trip reports to live vicariously through those reports. I also use them for info if I am planning a trip to the same place.
I find them entertaining, and also helpful.
surfingmomma
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM

Trip reports are good for the soul, I think. Writing one lets you/makes you relive what you've done and seen and experienced, and that makes the memories last longer. Reading a GOOD trip report is a true pleasure - as Anselm Adorne says," I ... read trip reports and have learned a great deal from people who have taken the time to write up their trips. I like the ones that make me long for a place I haven't been; the ones that trigger a memory; the ones that make me smile ..."

I love long trip reports - and excuse me if I scan and skip after a while - I'm just looking for the particular turn of a phrase, really longing for a memory I haven't had yet. Short trip reports - where someone went, where someone ate, what someone ate, what someone saw - in a pure reportorial fashion - unfortunately leaves me cold. I long for creativity, for making the connection between something out there that I haven't seen yet that I really need to see. Good trip reports do that for me. One of these days I hope to return the favor.

KC
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:34 PM

I write lengthy trip reports, because they make me take good notes during my travel. In turn, that makes me pay more attention while traveling, which is highly beneficial and satisfying.

I read all the trip reports on Hong Kong. I grew up there, I go there often, and I give a number of advises over on the Asia board. I read the reports to see how those trips turn out - what new stuff people find that's worth mentioning and what problems that encounter so I can warn others in the future.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I like to read trip reports of all types, long, short, personal, impersonal. I like them because they tell me something about the author and something about the place and something about the way the author and the place interacted.

It would never have occurred to me to write one if I hadn't read so many interesting ones here, so I started by writing a couple of relatively concise ones and evolved into writing War and Peace. I like it when people enjoy reading them, but I write them for myself, to crystallize the experience and to allow myself to relive it over and over. Time to go back and read one now.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:57 PM

Couldn't have expressed it better, Nikki. I'll read 'em all.

And I'm guilty of not sharing in kind...but as soon as I find some time, I plan on getting my trip report posted!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 02:29 AM

i_am_kane, I look for reports with personal musings much more than the "I then took the #11 bus to xyz which took 13 minutes" but of course, that type is helpful too.

If there's nothing personal in a trip report we might as well just read a travel guide. So a little of both is my personal favorite.

If I ever write one, I'm sure all would be bored to tears but heck, it'll keep me off the streets!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:02 AM

If you love trip reports then you can find a gold mine at www.slowtrav.com
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:43 AM

I really like all types of trip reports - I love lots of detail and a personal tone. I generally like it when there is some grouped summary information (like - "here are all the restaurant's we went to and how much it cost" or "the things the kids liked the best&quot but honestly, I like all styles of trip reports. I am trying to make more of an effort to post something (anything) when I read one, so they know they have an audience!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -