A beautiful, but overweight American girl

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please enlighten me to how I will be treated in Paris this April? I am a very attractive,<BR>well-dressed and well-mannered woman who happens to be overweight. I am under the impression there are no fat French people.<BR>Am I nutty to think I will encounter problems due to my size? I am not huge, just plump. And no, this is not a joke.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 02:02 PM

You'll be absolutely fine. There are several prior posts on this subject; here is the URL for one:<BR><BR>http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&amp;tid=34385787<BR><BR>To find others (including some re plus size shopiing), type &quot;overweight and paris&quot; in the text box.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 02:22 PM

While getting prepared for dinner in Avignon last week, I watched a French news segment on fashion. The segment was about a growing percentage of French women who do not fit the skinny clothes widely available. Various designers have developed new lines for 'rounder' women. The journalist talked about designing clothes for women after they have had children and are 'rounder'. I'm sure marketing research went behind the designers' decisions to go into the full-figured market, and that tells me that the myth that there aren't any 'plump' French people is exactly a myth.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 02:23 PM

travling - I went to Paris Sept. 2001. I too am on the plump side and it was a big concern for me. While I was there I was pursued by an extremely handsome man 12 years my junior. My age or weight didn't matter to him or anyone else for that matter. I had a wonderful time while I was there.<BR><BR>Enjoy yourself. An added note while I was there I lost 8 pounds in 12 days and didn't count calories, carbohydrates, fats, fiber content once. I was shocked when I got home and weighed myself and saw I was down 8 pounds. <BR><BR>Where are you staying in Paris? <BR>
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 02:33 PM

You will be fine. I worked for a company that had a French division. In that division there were slim women and not so slim women. There were also women who were not particularly stylish or pretty! There goes the myth of the perfectly beautiful, skinny French women who are dressed perfectly at all times! Be yourself! And I agree with the poster who lost weight while they were there. With all the walking you will probably lose or at least stay the same. Have a wonderful time! Paris is wonderful!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 04:23 PM

I'm fully convinced that those who truly believe that only Americans are overweight and that there just aren't any fat people in France, or Italy, or elsewhere, simply haven't been outside their living room.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 04:33 PM

I just love this type of posts! Wonderful answers by all! Travling: It is a shame we even have to ask this type of question, BUT sometimes it is essential (to our mental health). I THINK (and HOPE)everything will be perfect for you! Judy
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 04:51 PM

travling;<BR>You are a human being. If people anywhere don't take the time to look beneath the surface of you or anyone, they are not worth your time. Go and enjoy yourself. The only worry you should be having is what type of apertif you should be having while sitting in a nice cafe.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 04:52 PM

I believe there are fewer fat French people because food is expensive. Look at their can of Coca Cola and it is smaller. You often see a couple share one can. There is no &quot;Big Gulp&quot; drinks like the U.S. Furthermore, many people in cities do not have cars or don't have a parking space at work so they ride the bus and walk.<BR><BR>However, there are overweight people in France. My advice is to try to slowly lose weight because it is better for your health. It is also easier to find clothes. Have a nice trip!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:04 PM

Hiroshi: what simplistic nonsense. I wish there was an easy perfect, formula out there for happiness, but there is not! The fact that she perceives herself to be beautiful(but overweight) says it all! Bring back Reuben's ideal of beauty IMVHO !
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:14 PM

Just read a book that says in the last few years 10% of France's children have become obese.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:26 PM

Hi travling! Being a 'chubby' gal myself, I understand how you feel.<BR><BR>I'm happy to tell you that the Parisians I encountered during my trip last year were friendly and non-judgemental. In fact, I got lots of unexpected attention from men while sitting at cafes.<BR><BR>My plus-sized American friend is married to a Swiss man. He says the European men aren't nearly as hung up on the weight issue as American men. I've found this to be true, in my experience.<BR><BR>Have a great time!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

You guys are great! I love all the responses. Well, one small exception... Hiroshi....if it was easy to lose weight I'd have done it so long ago! Anyway, I will carry myself proudly as I always do and enjoy the wonderful French experience before me.<BR>I have never let my size exclude me from anything especially my life's passion: TRAVEL. To those who think I have not left my livingroom, I travel at least twice per year but usually on a cruise ship. Anyway, a great big<BR>Thanks to you all and happy travels always. <BR><BR>PS: to MADISON: We are staying in the 7th at the RUE VALADON. I hope it's nice.<BR><BR>PSS: I am happily married to a LATINO<BR>from GUATEMALA and he loves my curves!<BR>
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:15 PM

A quick side note that you reminded me of, travling. Have you seen the movie &quot;Real Women Have Curves&quot;? You and your Latino husband would both get a real kick out of it. I saw it as a play a few years ago as well.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:15 PM

Sorry to offend you. I used to have a bad habit of smoking. It is easier to say &quot;quit&quot; than to do it just as it is easier to say it is healthy not to be overweight. You can do it! I did it.<BR><BR>Do it for health reason, not to fit in a tight dress.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:18 PM

This may not be PC (or it is CP), but if one has a problem, one should not say &quot;No Problem! I'm proud of being ---&quot;<BR><BR>We all have shortcomings so we should be overly critical of others. We should help each other to become better and not put our heads in the sand.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Sylvia

We have to keep a sense of proportion about this: Any sensible slimming website will have a BMI calculator.<BR>Slimming World's is below. Note US folk that if you ignore the &quot;stones&quot; box and just enter your weight in pounds in the &quot;pounds&quot; box, it will still calculate your BMI. There's a tremendous range in the &quot;healthy&quot; category. <BR><BR>http://www.slimming-world.co.uk/health/heightweight.asp<BR><BR>I for instance am 5ft 3ins tall and weigh 133 pounds. That is not skinny but is in the healthy range. I believe that I could be 140 pounds and just be on the borderline of healthy/overweight.<BR>There's a big difference between being well covered and being clinically obese.

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 04:27 AM
jpm

I have always read with interest what has been said about the &quot;slim, rude, no blue jeans and dressed in black french.&quot; Having just returned from Paris I found all these to be gross sterotypes. <BR><BR>Are there slim, rude, black wearing people in France? Yes. But no more so than here.<BR><BR>I found the people in Paris to be friendly and helpful in the extreme! My French is non-existent and the words I do speak are probably completely mispronounced. Having my young niece with me meant spending time in several clothes stores where, gasp, there were rack, after rack, after rack, of jeans!<BR><BR>Walking the streets of Paris I was paying close attention to what people were wearing. I couldn't notice any difference between Paris and any other major city. People were dressed in every variety of clothing from jeans and sneakers (many, many, many) to expensive business attire.<BR><BR>My advice - go to Paris and be prepared to have the time of your life. And put these concerns out of mind.<BR><BR>jpm<BR><BR>ps. And I agree, I lost weight in Paris as well. I ate everything I wanted but we walked miles everyday.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 05:15 AM

We saw plenty of overweight Frenchindivdiuals. Not as high a percentage as in many parts of the USA and Canada, but more than enough so that you won't stand out in the crowd.<BR><BR>And even more so in Germany.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 05:57 AM

You'll be just fine! We have French friends who are not slim--no one has asked them to leave the country!<BR><BR>I am of average weight, but my figure is on the curvy side--meaning I have definite hips and a round derriere, a small waist, and, um, more roundness up top. While the American &quot;ideal&quot; still seems to be boyishly slim with no hips (and either a flat or enhanced chest), I'm happy to say that Europeans--even Parisians--seem to appreciate a woman with hips!<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -