A Barrel of Provence Pickles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tagging along the "Provence Pickles" thread has brought questions of my own...please indulge and offer sweet or sour particulars.

Is this a feasible, relaxing vacation given our time frame:

4 adults - one of which speaks enough French to help manage

Saturday, April 21 fly DFW to CDG
Sunday, April 22 arrive CDG a.m. - TGV to Avignon TGV - Pick up rental car (need to call AutoEurope) and drive to wherever we're staying (inquiries made via email) Luberon area has been highly recommended
Monday - Thursday: Be tourists in Provence
Friday a.m. - drive to Avignon, return rental car, TGV to Paris, afternoon to give brief overview to friends who have never been (Notre Dame, Arc, Champs...)
Where to stay in Paris? Louvre du Forum is booked with a large group. I've checked Tripadvisor but the top places (except George V which is out of our price range) don't jive with posts on Fodors. Budget-wise we'd spend up to about 275 euros...but would rather not if we could get a charming, well-appointed, perfectly located, service-oriented slice of heaven for less.
Saturday - this is not my choice but our friends insist on touring the Normandy/D-Day area so I've found 2 companies that offer 12 hour bus/minibus tours. Anyone who has done this, please raise your hand.
Sunday, April 29 - fly home

The marinating cucumbers on this end appreciate any help...
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:52 PM

Back later after my eyes un-dilate some more.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:18 PM

This is all doable, but leave out Normandy. If your friends want to go let them go by themselves. You can sit in a cafe and enjoy. Try the hotel Muguet in Paris.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

yipper - thanks for the hotel rec. I'll check it out. I agree, the Normandy portion is not for me (having spent three days there already). Give me a glass of wine and an outdoor cafe and I'm set.

Underhill - I'm chuckling, what is up with the "eyes undilating"...been out in the sun without sunglasses?
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:01 PM

Never I live in sunglasses. Had to see the opthamalogist today, and since I have blue eyes the dilation is very, very slow to wear off. So I wore two pair of sunglasses on the way home (no, I wasn't driving).

As for Normandy, stay in Paris while your friends go there. Try the Ste-Beuve, a charming small hotel near the Luxembourg Gardens. Another try would be the Mansart, in the 1st, just off the Place Vendôme and sharing a wall with the Ritz. It's very Old Paris, with antique furniture and large, comfortable rooms and baths. It's very popular with European regulars; so try for a reservation well in Nothing fancy, but totally comfortable and near good restaurants.

My personal favorite is the Madison, in the 6th, and in April you might snag a room in your price range. You can see my detailed review on tripadvisor.

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:03 AM
ira

Hi Mom,

In Paris, We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 124E dbl w/bkfst. It is located near 3 metro stops. Has AC

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Photos are at http://tinyurl.com/rh6jw

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Ira & Underhill - thx mucho for the hotel suggestions. Does the first day of travel from airport to train to rental car to B&B sound reasonable...planes, trains, and automobiles? We love train travel.

Underhill - I'm right there with you! Blue eyes require heavy duty sunglasses every step out of doors.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:48 AM

That first day is fine. The train is very relaxing & it's a no-stress effort to catch the train. It's only a 3 hr ride. The rental offices are next to the station, and the station is out of town a bit. It's only 45 mins or less to the Luberon.

Prem fares are dirt cheap - even first class is not expensive.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:09 AM

...had to add my two cents about the blue eye issue. My friends pick on me terribly--I own close to 20 pair of sunglasses and have them everywhere: in purses, in luggage, in the glovebox, in every room of the house. Can't live without them in the summer and even in the winter (snow glare).

underhill - thanks for the Paris suggestions. I need a place there myself for two nights at the end of my trip.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:40 AM

It looks as though I can finally buy new sunglasses (I lose them, sit on them, etc.), as the teeny-eye variety seem to be on the way out. I love the ones with large, Polarized lenses. If anyone knows of a good source, please let me know. Some of my collection are really tired out.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:07 AM
ira

Hi D,

>Does the first day of travel from airport to train to rental car to B&B sound reasonable?

Looks OK to me.