Reload this Page >

9 days in Portugal

Search

9 days in Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 02:43 PM
Ally

9 days in Portugal

Just came back from Portugal (Oct.13-23). Is willing to share itenerary,ideas for sightseeing,hotels, restaurants. Respond if interested.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 02:58 AM
Pilar

Going to Portugal in dec. Any advise would be hihly appreciated.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 06:39 AM
natasha

We just booked a flight for Lisbon last nite (Dec. 23 - Jan. 3), and I would love to hear any and all of your thoughts/experiences. We are trying to decide if renting a car is the way to go, or whether it will be too stressful for the driver (my boyfriend). Don't know if this came up for you...

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 07:15 AM
clea

I got back from Portugal about a month ago and used a rented car. In terms of the driving, I suppose it makes a difference what kind of driver you are normally, and what kinds of roads you are used to. My boyfriend and I had no problems. We both drove equal amounts. <BR> <BR>The Portuguese drive very fast but most of the traffic is on large highways. If you stay on the smaller back roads you will rarely see another car. Of course, you'll still need to be very careful because the small roads twist and turn all over the place, but I honestly felt that all of the warnings I heard were blown out of proportion. <BR> <BR>One other comment about renting a car - the Portuguese word for "diesel" is "gasoleo", so make sure you are putting PETROL in your car! I am glad I knew this before I went over there as it would have been fairly easy to put the wrong kind of fuel in! <BR> <BR>Portugal is absolutely gorgeous. You will have a great trip - I stayed mainly in the south, and the coast is just beautiful. I'd like to go back to see the north as well as I've heard wonderful things about that area as well. Have fun!

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 10:52 AM
Betty Ann

I'm glad that someone else feels as I do about driving in Portugal. We spent a week driving in central Portugal in Nov '98 and a week driving from Lisbon to northern Portugal and back in Nov '99 and had no problems at all. The horror stories you read about are very much exaggerated. Get a car and really see Portugal! Enjoy.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 04:23 PM
Jane Wolynez

Dear Ally, <BR>We have a flight into Lisbon and out of Faro for approximately 3 weeks in July. We'd like a leisurely (but not dull) itinerary. Is there enough to see for this length of time? We'd probably spend 4 days in the algarve. Our concerns are: driving-(getting lost), and security. I've read some horror stories. All suggestions about itinerary, hotels, pousadas are appreciated. <BR>Thanks, <BR>Jane

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 01:53 PM
Penny

Ally, I would like to hear from you regarding your itinerary. Unfortunately, we'll have just 4 days. What would you suggest? We are a couple, 57 yrs. old. We like first class accommodations, etc.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 07:34 PM
Sylvia

We'll be going to Lisbon in late Feb. and would like to find a reasonable hotel there for a stay of about a week. My husband and I don't want to have to do a lot of stairs or steep hills to get to the hotel and would prefer something centrally located. Any other "must see" advice would be appreciated.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 07:38 PM
peter

Sylvia, if steep climbs are not your idea of fun....you're not going to have much fun in Lisbon. Lots of steep streets, most of the best sights to see require walks up pretty angled climbs. St. Georges Castles which overlooks lisbon is a real haul. You're going to have to pay the Green topped Mercedes cab drivers mucho escudos to have much fun. Go to the Fado district to take in some Portugese folk music...its considered "out" nowadays among younger crowds, but mix it with Sangria and you'll have a romantic evening. Enjoy.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 07:42 PM
Peter

oh....forgot to mention something to those other people who are asking about what to do in Portugal...go to Sintra (under an hour's drive from Lisbon). I've been there many times and can still feel the place in my bones...historical, wet, beautiful, incredible Castle with absolutely exquisitely carved furniture and arts. Just amazing place. Have 4 o'clock tea at Hotel Setais and have a five star hotel staff wait on you...so many things to do. Go to the Algarve only if you don't mind seeing tons of other tourists. If you do go, stay away from the Tourist meccas (Albufeira etc.). GO to Cape St Vincent, and watch the sunset. Return up north on the coastal road, get out of your car, and you can feel the waves pounding the ground. Walk to the edge of the cliffs and the feeling is surreal and otherworldly...the waves are enormous and make an incredible pounding sound. Lots of good memories....