9 days in Norway

Jun 20th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

9 days in Norway

Hello!

I am planning to spend 9 days in Norway this summer with friends, I thought I'd share my draft itinerary here to seek your inputs and tips/suggestions, would be grateful if you review them and comment, specially regarding Days 5, 6 and 9. We will be renting a car all the way, 3 of us will take turns and drive. We've had experience driving in Iceland and few other countries.

Day 1: Oslo

Day 2: Oslo

Day 3: Oslo - Scenic route Hardangervidda - Bergen (7h / 465 km)

Day 4: Bergen

Day 5: Bergen - Gudvangen - Fjord2 Car Ferry - Kaupanger - Stryn - Scenic route Gamle Strynefjellsvegen - Grotli (8h / 363km) => Total time includes 3h ferry

Day 6: Grotli - Geiranger - Trollstigen - Alesund (5h / 233 km)

Day 7: Alesund

Day 8: Alesund - Scenic Route Atlanterhavsveien - Alesund (6h / 294 km). Alternatively spend the day in Alesund

Day 9: Alesund - Oslo (7h / 507 km) - Fly out of Oslo at 5 pm same day (We plan to leave Alesund around 6-7 am) => Can we rely on Google Maps estimates ?

We would probably take multiple breaks along the way and take in the sights. We would like to try and do an activity (eg. Kayaking) on one of the fjords if possible.

I had a look at the scenic routes on nasjonaleturistveger website and tried to include them in the itinerary

Thanks

Ash
Jun 20th, 2018, 09:44 AM

>>> Day 9: Alesund - Oslo (7h / 507 km) - Fly out of Oslo at 5 pm same day (We plan to leave Alesund around 6-7 am) => Can we rely on Google Maps estimates ?
I found google estimates to be overly optimistic. I think www.viamichelin.com gives more realistic travel time.
Even if one postulates that the optimistic google estimate is accurate, how much time are you allocating to get gas, eat meals, returning car overhead at an Oslo airport? Additionally, what are you going to do if there is a car or road problem on this long journey day? Is it ok for you to miss the flight home?
One way, if you are not flying long distance into Oslo, is to reverse the order. This puts all the overhead and risks at the beginning where you can tolerate foul-ups without missing the flight home. However, if you are flying into Oslo from far away with jet lag, driving 500km upon arrival is a very very bad idea.
One way to solve the jet lag impact is to start your trip from Bergen. But this alters your itinerary significantly.
Jun 21st, 2018, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Greg for your feedback, it's super helpful. Currently reviewing the itinerary with my friend - will revise it and put it up soon. Appreciate it
Jun 24th, 2018, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Hello!

We revised our itinerary, hope this one is not as crazy Do let us know if you've any suggestions / advice!

Day 1: Oslo

Day 2: Oslo

Day 3: Oslo - Bergen by train (7h)

Day 4: Bergen

Day 5: Bergen - Leikanger (We might do the Stegastein viewpoint and the Aurlandsfjellet scenic route on the way)

Day 6: Leikanger - Hjella (We might do the
Gamle Strynefjellet scenic route later in the day)

Day 7: Hjella - Geiranger - Trollstigen - Alesund (Covering Dalsnibba and Flydalsjuvet viewpoints on the way)

Day 8: Alesund
(We might cover Scenic Route Atlanterhavsveien if possible, alternatively spend the day in Alesund)

Day 9: Alesund - Oslo (Flight)

Thanks again for your inputs!!

Ash

Search this Thread