Search

9 days in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 days in Italy

I've read so much helpful information, and would like suggestions/comnments on my itinerary. Our base is Rome, because we're staying at a friends apartment for free! We're 2 single girls (ages 40 and 41) and are interested in just about anything and everything. If anyone knows of a "hop on/hop off" bus for Rome (like La Tour in Paris, I think), I'd love to hear about it. I'd like to do this on the 1st day in Rome. We are traveling in June 2003.

Saturday, Day 1: Rome. Spanish Steps, visit to American Express office to arrange for train travel.

Sunday, Day 2: Rome. Forum/Colisseum or Vatican.

Monday, Day 3: To Florence by train, stay at Hotel Casci. This is a Monday, so museums are closed. Shopping, and ??? (would love suggestions)

Tuesday, Day 4: Florence. Accademia/Uffizi. Will reserve tickets. Train back to Rome in evening.

Wednesday, Day 5: Rome. Forum/Colisseum or Vatican, whatever we didn't do on Day 2.

Thursday, Day 6: Train to Naples, then hydrofoil to Sorrento (or Capri, for short visit, then on to Sorrento?). Which train is the best for Rome to Naples and the hydrofoil? Staying in La Tonnarella in Sorrento for 2 nights.

Friday, Day 7: SITA bus along the Amalfi Coast. I'm guessing that we can get on and off the bus if we want to explore the towns. Does anyone know of snorkeling opportunities?

Saturday, Day 8: Leave Sorrento, go by train to Pompeii. Explore Pompeii for the day, then back on the train to Naples, then onto Rome. I know this is a big day.

Sunday, Day 9: Rome. Need suggestions!!

Thank you for your help!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 12:45 PM

Hi
I guess I don't understand all the back and forth movement.

Upon arriving in Rome, go on to one of your farther destinations: Sorrento or Florence. If Sorrento, visit Pompeii on your way to Rome or Florence. There is "left luggage" at the Pompeii train station I believe, and also probably at the Naples station.

I haven't done it myself, but I'd be surprised if spending one day on buses along the Amalfi coast will allow you to see much of it or that it would be worthwhile. Some expert can comment.

Re-arranging may mean that one of your days in Florence is not a Monday, though there are plenty of things that are open anyway.

good luck
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 12:58 PM

Hi,
I suggest that on arrival you go to Florence. A Eurostar from Termini will take about 1.5 hours. Stay one or two nights there then go to Rome and onto Sorrento and Amalfi Coast.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:43 PM

Hi Helen. Yes, you can get on and off the SITA bus at various points, such as Positano, along the Amalfi Coast. (Sorry, don't know anything about snorkeling opportunities.)

As for your final day in Rome, I'd highly recommend a visit to two of the finest piazzas, Piazza della Rotonda (where the Pantheon is) and nearby Piazza Navona. Campo di Fiori is also nearby, but I don't know if the market is there on Sunday mornings.

I also notice you don't have the Trevi Fountain on your list, but you could easily visit that on the day you visit the Spanish Steps, which are relatively close by.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses!

Elaine and Anya: I know my back and forth plans aren't the greatest, but it's how things worked out for various reasons.

Capo: Thanks so much for the input-I definitely want to go to the Trevi fountain! I'll also put the piazzas on the list.

Are there any must sees in the Amalfi Coast towns, or are the towns just basically places to wander around, discover and enjoy?
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Wednesday is the day for papal audiences at the Vatican, so it will be very crowded if you choose that day for your visit.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:29 PM

Don't miss the Villa Borghese in Rome. It was a highlight for us. The Bernini statues bring tears to your eyes. The Vatican is a FULL day. Start at the Vatican Museum. Move through the museum and the Map Room (stunning) to the Sistine Chapel. When you come out of the Chapel, take the elevator right up to the dome of St. Peter's. When you are done, you will be right at the line for the Basilica. If you don't go in this order you will backtrack all over the place. There are free guides at the entrance to the basilica.

Next, forget the Amalfi Coast bus. Why would you want to spend a beautiful day on the bus? Take the bus to Positano and spend the day there. It is wonderful. Also, a short hydrofoil ride from Capri.

Lastly, you don't need to go to the American Express office for train tickets. You can buy them right at the station. Trains to the locations you are going to leave very frequently. The odds of them being sold out are slim. Just be careful that if you don't smoke you request a seat in a non-smoking car.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:47 PM

You're welcome, Helen. One other suggestion...while you're at the Forum, I'd highly recommend a climb up the nearby huge gleaming-white Vittorio Emanuelle monument for the great view from the upper level.

I'm not aware of any particular "must-sees" in either Positano or Amalfi, the only two towns we briefly visited, although the cathedral staircase in Amalfi was quite impressive. In Positano, we just enjoyed walking from the SITA bus stop down through the town to the beach and then back up again.

Although, given our limited time, we didn't make it to Ravello, perched above Amalfi and reachable by bus, from photos I've seen the villas there (Cimbrone and Ruffolo, if I have the names right) -- or specifically the views from their gardens -- sure look like "must-sees" to me.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Nikki: thanks for the info-we won't go to the Vatican on Wed!

bugswife1: the reason I thought we'd do the bus thing along the coast is because we don't want to miss the Amalfi drive that everyone says is so beautiful, and I want someone else to do the driving. A day in Positano sounds great-thanks for the suggestion!
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:35 AM

Okay, so here is another way to see the coast. We went to Positano and rented a little motorboat for about $40 per hour. It was easy to manage, but if you aren't too confident, there are plenty of handsome young Italian men to assist two ladies for an afternoon. Pack a lunch and some drinks from one of the local shops. Take the boat south along the coastline as far as you want to. It is much more beautiful from the water looking up at the villages on the cliffs than looking through a dirty bus window. You can drop anchor in just about any cove, hang the ladder over the side and go for a swim. There is also the Emerald Grotto not to far from Positano. Just pull the boat up, someone will dock you, and you can get out and walk into the grotto. This is also a great thing to do because it is miserable to try to swim off the Positano beach. It is really rocky and you need Teva's to go into the water. Not a problem if you are diving off a boat.