Notices

8 days in greece, where to go?

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 days in greece, where to go?

Actually it's 11. we get into athens on Sept 7th and depart out of athens on the 17th. I don't know where to go. I've never been to Europe. I don't know whether to do the Mykonos, santorini thing. Or the Sarcontic coast (spelling?) thira and all that. I would be fine with going to two island. Maybe start at one island for 2-3 days, and another for 5 days. Maybe islands that are close to other islands so we can do day trips but not waist a bunch of time checking in and out of hotels.

The thing me and my boyfriend like are:
great beaches. cliff ones and sandy white ones.
wine
great food
nice people
getting lost
renting mopeds
watering holes ( i heard of one place where you can order a drink and jump in the water while you wait)
little secret cities

What we don't like:
College party crowds. We are young but I can't deal with the "party people"

Any itinerary advice would be great. There are so many islans my head is spinning.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:28 AM

To avoid the party college crowd, avoid the Pink Palace in Corfu (backpacker resort) and Ios. Though both islands are really pretty, both are prob not what you are looking for.
I loved Santorini- especially for renting mopeds & having a glass of wine over the most amazing view & sunset ever. They also have some great black sand beaches as well (it's an old volcano). I haven't been to Mykonos, but have heard it is also very beautiful.
Athens itself is extremely interesting, but also pretty dirty & chaotic- we stayed only a day while waiting for our ferry to the islands.
Good luck & have a great time!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:43 PM

I did not find Athens dirty at all. We stayed on Syntagma square and walked all over the Plaka and Monistraki areas.

Definitely do Mykonos and Santorini if you never been and book hotels in advance or you will have to try your luck with the hucksters down by the ferry. FYI Thira is part of Santorini. Stick with one area of islands. Even the high speed ferry between Mykonos and Santorini takes over 3 hours. And you have to allow time to get to the ferry and transfer from the ferry. Also, transfers should be pre-arranged.

Have fun planning. There is a lot of information here and on tripadvisor.com
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 09:42 AM

For only 8 days, I'd just fly straight to Crete. You can easily spend that amount of time on the island, or a couple of days in Athens on the front end or return.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 03:24 PM

Hello from a greek guy. I ve been in both islands lots of times and i can surely tell you that. You can not miss out in any of those. You definately have to go to both of them .Mykonos is more of a greek island and Santorini is more romantic and more beautiful. Visit www.go2mykonos.com and www.go2santorini.com to see photos of the two islands to have a better idea