Reload this Page >

8 days in France

Search

8 days in France

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 09:17 AM
Jeff

8 days in France

We are planning a 8 day trip to France(our first) in early Oct. Would like to see Paris <BR>(3days), Loire Valley(3days), and Normandy(2days). Are we taking on too much? <BR>Will be traveling by car. Recommendations please.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 11:44 AM
Martha B

That sounds like a very good plan to me. You've picked three destinations which are quite different from each other, but not far apart, so you won't be spending lots of time just getting from point to point. In addition to seeing the sights, do leave some time open for driving the beautiful country roads in Normandy and relaxing in the sidewalk cafes of Paris. Enjoy!

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 12:39 PM
Andria

I spent three months in Tours last fall and I saw six chateaux and the area is so wonderful. I would definitely tell you to see the gardens at Villandry and go visit Chambord. Go wine tasting in Vouvray if you like whites or if you like reds go to Chinon or Borgeuil. If you need more specifics feel free to email me if you have more questions. You will be amazed at how green things are in the Loire Valley. That's why they call it "the garden of france". Even when I was there in December, everything was still green. One tip to take to heart is to bring your umbrella with you wherever you go.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 12:48 PM
elvira

My favorite time of year in France! Nice weather (it rains, though), few tourists, the French have calmed down after the summer invasion of foreigners. <BR> <BR>Paris: Buy a Museum pass; buy carnets of metro tickets. Visit the high spots, but take MarthaB's advice and dawdle/ <BR>wander/roam. That's the real Paris. If you do a search on this forum under "paris hotels" and "paris restaurants" you'll get some great recommendations. <BR> <BR>Loire Valley: Amboise (da Vinci's home and burial spot). Tours for great seafood. Chenonceau. There are a few of the chateaux that are 'hotels'; high-end, but for a night or two, it would be something to write home about. <BR> <BR>Normandy: the beaches and the cemetery. Bring an empty film canister to scoop up some sand. Be sure to go into the German bunkers. There's a nice restaurant right near Omaha Beach, on the beach. Parking is easy at all the sites. Be sure to take a drive through the countryside; Normandy has the biggest COWS I've ever seen. The area is famous for its cheese, milk and apples. The most brutal hard cider I've ever drunk (and DRUNK is the operative word here) and, of course, Calvados (Maigret's drink). <BR>There's a Climatel near Arromanches; no character, but cheap and clean. First time I ever ate periwinkles was in their restaurant. You pick them out with a straight pin. <BR> <BR>Bayeux for the tapestry, and the D-Day Museum. Monty's hat and the orders making Ike the Commander over Monty. Guns, bazookas, helmets, matchboxes pulled from the beach after. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 09:54 PM
Roger

My wife and I spent 3 nights and 2 days at Bayeaux at Normandy the first few days of June just as D Day vets were starting to arrive. We stayed at a 300 year old farm house with large rooms run by a retired British Lt. Col. and his wife. It was our most enjoyable stay ever in Europe. The room (with shower/toilet) cost about $30 per night with a large English/French breakfast. The Col. gives tours of the D-Day beaches; verify the price as he is more expensive than many, but it is a special tour. His web site is [email protected] <BR>