8 days - Florence, Venice, Bolzano

Apr 25th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

8 days - Florence, Venice, Bolzano

I have alot of questions - any help would be appreciated:
Here is the itinerary: all train travel
Milan to Florence (3 nights)
Florence to Padova 2 nights (intend upon to taking the train into Venice each day)
Padova to Bolzano explore Dolomites via rented car for 3 nights. Thinking of renting from a wholesaler in Bolzano. Any suggestions.
Bolzano to Milan (1 night)
I'm thinking that I buy standard rail tickets for each leg of this trip. But, I admit, I find that website a bit confusing. My daughter is 20 - and, I think she pays a cheaper fare. Any help in sorting out the rail travel would be appreciated.- julie
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:31 PM

I'm not sure what all your questions are, but I'll try to answer the obvious ones in your original post.

Yes, point-to-point tickets will be cheaper than passes.

Yes, your 20-year-old daughter is young enough to qualify for cheaper fares on some routes. (The age limit for junior fares is 26.) However, the Padova-Venezia route isn't one of them, and it will cost you 32 euros (4 x 8 euros, 2nd class) each day you round-trip to Venice. (I hope your Padova accommodations are at least 40 euros a night cheaper than what you can afford in Venice itself.) On other routes, though, her ticket will be 5-8 euros cheaper than your standard ticket, depending on which train class you purchase.

Are you saying you have an extra night between Bolzano and Milan and want to make another stop? (I assume you're returning the car in Bolzano.) Are you flying out of Milan? What time?

Apr 25th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Yes - the accomodations in Padova are free with frequent hotel points. But, I was suprised the rail fare was 40 euros r/t Padova-Venice. I thought I had looked it up and was much less than that! But it is what it is.
We are touring the Bolzano region for 3 days,on our own. I thought I read somewhere that it is cheaper to rent through a wholesaler like Kemwel in Bolzano. Just wondering is anyone had used them. And yes we return through Milan - but we arrive Milan from Bolzano the day before we leave.
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:27 PM

It's 8 euros round-trip per person from Padova to Venice. Ergo, 32 euros per day. I rounded up to 40 euros to equate time lost sitting on the train rather than actually being in Venice.

But free is free. Can't argue against free.
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:19 AM

Hi JBD - Are you sure you want to stay in Bolzano? It's not 'in' the Dolomites proper ...

If you want to tour the Dolomites it would be better IMO to base somewhere more central, e.g Val Gardena or Val Badia.

Steve

Apr 26th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info - but again - it is a matter of using hotel points in Bolzano. I know there is a Kemwel rental car place there & I am planning on doing some touring around - don't know how far the places you suggested are. And yes, I do have my international Drivers license.
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:14 AM

Val Gardena is an hour's drive from Bolzano if you take the scenic route. Another 30 mins takes you over the Gardena Pass to Val Badia - or to the Sella/Pordoi area.

You could be in the Alpe di Siusi from Bolzano in about an hour too ...

Steve