8-Day Paris Itinerary

Old Aug 25th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8-Day Paris Itinerary

Hello, my wife and I planning an 8-day vacation to Paris (after a week in London) in the last week of September. We are both 40 years old, no kids and we live in Chicago. We are staying in the 8th Arrondissement. I would appreciate some critique of our tentative itinerary.

Day 1 – Friday, September 20

· Train from Paris arriving 10:15 am

· Night boat ride of Seine

Day 2 – Saturday, September 21

· Arc de Triomphe

· Opera House

· Sacre’ Coeur - Montmartre

· Eiffel Tower (8pm Skip the Line Tour)

Day 3 – Sunday, September 22

· Travel to a vineyard

Day 4 – Monday, September 23

· Louvre – won’t use entrance by pyramid

Day 5 – Tuesday, September 24

· Versailles

Day 6 – Wednesday, September 25

· Saint Chapelle - morning

· Notre Dame – free tour 2:00 or 2:30

· (Archeological crypt below Notre Dame)

· Deporation Memorial

·

Day 7 – Thursday, September 26

· Explore St. Michel Gt. Germain area & Lux Gardens

· Musee D’Orsay

· Marais (walking tour 2:30)

Day 8 – Friday, September 27

· Musee D’Orangerie

· Musee Rodin

· Tuileries Gardens

We are planning on purchasing the 6-day Paris Museum Pass. We’d like to travel to a vineyard on Sunday. We love red wines so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would appreciate any feedback on our itinerary. Does anyone have any specific tips they’d like to share? Are we not hitting any must see sites for a first time visit? Do the days appear to be laid out well? Thank you in advance
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 12:47 PM

You should organize your city destinations more logically. For example, Days 2, 7, and 8 could easily be re-arranged so you're not criss-crossing the city.

Day 1 is pretty sparse.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 12:49 PM

You are clearly hitting most of the highlights (I'm sure some of us can add a few more; I will below) and have a fairly relaxed itinerary. I'm assuming you are planning to have slow times on some days where you simply walk around and explore and fill in other things to do. And that's totally fine. Paris is a fantastic walking city.

One tip: check the weather forecast and try not to have a completely rigid itinerary. If the forecast is for sunny, clear days the whole time, then don't worry about it. The odds are good you'll have great weather in September. But if there is some rain forecast for some days, try to re-arrange your visits to the outdoor places (e.g. Jardin du Luxembourg) for the days when it will be sunny. It would be a shame to spend all day in the Louvre on a sunny day and then on your day to visit Jardin du Luxembourg have it rain, you know? That garden is one of my favorite spots in Paris; on my last trip in May it was overcast and a bit cool and the garden was mostly empty and disappointing, but on my previous trip on a warm October day, with leaves turning, the park was full of people, vibrant and beautiful.

You might also consider a visit to the Parc Monceau in the 17th, if you have time.

When you visit the Eiffel Tower, give yourself time to SEE it before you actually go up in it. The best place to view the Tower is probably from the Trocadéro, site of the Palais de Chaillot. The tower is lit up at night, obviously, but also has a little "light show" once an hour at the top of the hour. If you are ever jet lagged and wake up early, the Tower is also quite different at daybreak - not lit up but the area around it isn't mobbed with tourists but it mostly deserted, saved for a few runners, and you'll have it mostly to yourself.

On my recent trip I visited the La Défense district for the first time. It's a modern area with huge skyscrapers and a giant arch that dwarfs the Arc de Triomphe. It's easy to get to La Défense by metro (the #1 line ends there) and worth a quick look around if you want something different from the usual historical stuff.

Something very different you might find interesting is the Père Lachaise Cemetery, a huge cemetery with elaborate monuments, some taller than you. Jim Morrison of The Doors is buried there but his grave is simple and forgettable. Oscar Wilde's monument is far more interesting. Other famous artists are buried there too, but just wandering around the place is interesting. It does take a few hours to see (again,the place is huge - you'll want a map), so don't add it unless you find yourself running out of things to do!
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 12:55 PM

I don't think the museum pass will be worthwhile for you as you only have 5 days of museums. Days 4, 6, 7 you are only going to one museum per day. Rather than spending money on the pass I would buy tickets on line. Check the pricing but I think individual tickets may be cheaper.

Day 1 - I'm guessing you're arriving in Paris not going from Paris. This is a very light day with only one activity at night. You could fill in the day with a few things. You can put Montmartre here and do a walking tour which takes you to the top and linger there a while.

Day 2 - move Montmartre to another day as you're all over the city. Add the Jacquemart-Andre museum between the Arc of Triumph and the Opera.

Day 4 - will you spend all day in the Louvre or only a couple of hours? You might want to put the Tuileries on this day. You could also add the Orangerie if you do not plan on all day at the Louvre.

You can add some markets, another walking tour, a few churches.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 01:30 PM

Agree to move a few things so that you are doing the things that are close together. Maybe put Musee Rodin on the same day as St Germain and LG.

The only thing I will say about the museum pass, even if you only use 5 days ( it has to be used for consecutive days), is that the convenience of skipping ticket lines is worth it to me. Certainly, make the calculations if you want it just for saving money, but for me, saving time is also important to me on vacation. You may also pop in a few more places because you already have it. Just my opinion.

If you can work Ste Chapelle on a sunny day, it will make the stained glass really beautiful!

I like the you haven't tried to cram in too much.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 04:33 PM

Great itinerary! I'm rounding out my own trip here in Paris. Here are my recommendations:

On the day you go to Tuileries Garden or Musee de L'Orangerie (which is inside the Tuileries), I would also add Place de la Concorde, which is right next to it. This will only take a few minutes to see but I thought the Obelisque was very interesting (gift from Egypt).

If you do get the museum pass and like modern art, the Centre George Pompidou is worthwhile with its unique architecture, nice views on top, and is in the Le Marais (Metro stop: Rambuteau). It's open later than most museums.

You're staying in the 8th arr. so you'll be close to the bridge, Pont Alexandre III, it's very pretty, especially at night. And you can walk the steps down to the Quai d'Orsay by the river and you can walk or dine there. A lot of people also bring their own wine and food to parks and by the river if the weather is nice.

Tips:

I would check the opening and closing times of museums online and not rely on guidebooks, even if they're from this year. For example, I went to the Musee L'Orangerie on a Tuesday only to find out it's closed on Tuesdays, although my guidebook said it was open daily. I ended up going to Musee Rodin instead. So be flexible and prepared to move things around.

The Musee d'Orsay is open late on Thursdays. This museum deserves two hours.

Some museums tend to starting closing off areas 30 mins before the closing time listed so don't wait til the last minute.

I would bring and carry an umbrella around because it seems to rains so randomly, even on warm days. At least in my experience.

For the metro, you can save money (and time) by buying a carnet of 10 tickets instead of individually each time. They can be used for the metro and bus.

I haven't been to a vineyard yet in Paris but here's a link that may be useful: http://paris.angloinfo.com/informati...regional-wine/

The Clos Montmartre seems to be a good one for you. I may want to check that out too!

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I have moved our days around a bit due to everyone's input. Also, I was able to find an all day vineyard tour that leaves directly from Paris and goes to the Burgundy region: http://www.wine-day-tours.com. We are very excited for this day tour. I've included our itinerary with some modifications. We purposely left Friday open in case we need to move some things around.

Day 1 – Friday, September 20
• Train from Paris arriving 10:15 am
• Possibly a Paris Bike Tour
• Sacre’ Coeur – Montmartre walking tour
• Night boat ride of Seine

Day 2 – Saturday, September 21
• Arc de Triomphe
• Jacquemart Andre Museum - recommended
• Opera House
• Eiffel Tower

Day 3 – Sunday, September 22
• Versailles (Bike About Tours)

Day 4 – Monday, September 23
• Louvre – won’t use entrance by pyramid
• Tuileries Gardens
• Musee D’Orangerie
o Place de la Concorde – recommended on same day as Orangerie

Day 5 – Tuesday, September 24
• Explore St. Michel Gt. Germain area & Lux Gardens
• Musee Rodin
• Musee D’Orsay (need ½ day)

Day 6 – Wednesday, September 25
• Saint Chapelle - morning
• Notre Dame – free tour 2:00 or 2:30
• (Archeological crypt below Notre Dame)
• Deporation Memorial

Day 7 – Thursday, September 26
• Vineyard Tour

Day 8 – Friday, September 27
• Open
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 04:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm dashing out so only time for one quick comment . . . This is the second time you've posted >>• Train from Paris arriving 10:15 amLondon?
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Yes, my apologies. Janisj you are correct. We are arriving on a train from London. Thanks
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 11:36 AM

bkmk
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 12:09 PM

Great itinerary. I see the Marais has slipped off your list. Day 6, after you visit Notre Dame, would be a great time to just meander across the river and window shop your way through the Marais. You might even plan a dinner there. There's so much to see and enjoy.

Then, if you have the museum pass, you can pop into the Pompidou and go up to the top for the amazing views after dark (open until 10, no admissions after 8.) You'll have been atop Notre Dame earlier but in some ways I prefer this view and it's so nice in the dark with all the lights.

I try to limit my time in the Louvre to 2 hours as it is so large and can be exhausting. Without any idea of what you like, here's what I like to do: I head straight for the Mona Lisa as the Italian paintings in the vicinity (Ghirlandaio, etc.) are some of my favorites. I also like to visit the animal mummies in the basement simply because they're odd and I've been stopping by since I was 13. Cafe Richelieu is nice for lunch and not too far off my path. I've gotten lost among the antiquities a couple of times so I try to stick carefully to the map!
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 01:04 PM

Please pay attention to museum opening days/times.

Rodin museum is closed on Tuesdays.

http://www.rodinmuseum.org/284-237.html

Moved the Rodin to Monday and, unless you're a great Rodin fan, you can just buy a ticket to the garden and see quite a few famous sculptures there. You have Place de la Concorde on your itinerary but it's only a look at a square. Won't take but a minute or two.

Yes, Monday is overcrowded with museums but the Orangerie is small and if you only visit the Rodin garden then you'll have energy for the Louvre.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 01:07 PM

Why Ste-Chapelle in the morning? Unless you mean late morning. The light will not be good early in the morning because of the buildings surrounding it, blocking the sun. I also think the security line will be longer the earlier you go.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 01:12 PM

Notre Dame Wednesday tour is at 2:00.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 01:13 PM

I highly recommend the guided tour of the Opera House. It's filled with info that you wouldn't get if you did a self-guided walk through.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 01:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Try to see The Carnavalet Museum near Place Vosges in The Marais. Place Vosges is beautiful and a great stop for lunch or a wine/coffee and The Carnavalet is wonderful and small--maybe an hour or so.

Notre Dame---don't miss a walk around Ile St. Louis off the back of the church.

You will definitely be happy with all of your planning to give you some structure but don't forget to just enjoy the moment. If you like a place, stay longer and adjust your schedule. My guess is you will want to return again and see more.

I'm loving your wine tour and may just add it to our next visit to Paris.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 08:17 AM

I apologize - I was looking at the wrong Rodin web site when I said that it's closed on Tuesdays so ignore my comment.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 02:24 PM
jgg

Just want to mention that I think leaving Friday completely open is an excellent idea. We spent a week in Paris and a week in London and I did the same thing. This allowed us to not stress about veering from the plan during the week!!
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 08:13 PM

I may steal the general ideas of this itinerary and the comments, for our trip in Spring!

We're just a bit older than the OPs, but similar, it seems--lots of time to just walk around and take in the sights, and not rush rush rush from one place to another.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 08:32 PM

Absolutely get a Museum Pass. Getting to skip the lines makes it worth whatever you pay for it.

If you do an evening Fat Tire Bike Tour the first day/night, it includes a boat ride on the Seine. I highly recommend that.

Get to the Louvre before it opens, and go directly to the Mona Lisa. You'll be glad you did.

You might also think about getting tickets for the ballet at the Opera Garnier and/or an evening concert at Ste. Chapelle. Get those on line before your trip.

Parc Monceau and the Nissim de Camondo Museum (close together) are really interesting, as is Pere Lachaise cemetery.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -