8 Day Itinerary in Germany/Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I and another couple will arrive Munich in April for 8 full days...is it reasonable to think that we could cover and enjoy Rothenburg, Neuschwanstein, Salzburg, Vienna and Prague...my humble opinion is that to enjoy the eight days, Vienna and Prague are not doable...the other couple (who have not travelled Europe say that it is)..has anyone attempted this itinerary in an 8 day period...thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 08:53 AM

It would be very easy to do in 8 days if you don't mind unloading and loading into trains or a car or bus to get to those places. If driving, you could see all that you want of Rothenburg in one day and Neuschwanstein in a half day. You could enjoy the 3 larger cities even more if you had longer, but my suggestion is to go for all three because they are different. Spend only one day in Salzburg and two each in Vienna and Prague. Good luck.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 09:31 AM

Like you, 43robert, I think that's too much moving around for eight days. I'd suggest leaving out one of the cities - probably Vienna - and really enjoying your time in the other places. If you find yourselves with extra time on your hands, there are dozens of other worthwhile destinations - among them Cesky Krumlov, Karlovy Vary, Bamberg, Berchtesgaden, and Hallstatt - that are more central to your basic itinerary.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 02:09 PM

You probably need to cut down. I notice that you did not include Munich in your 8 days. If Munich is to be included, you are planning much too much travel. Waynes suggested schedule does not seem to include travel time. How about Munich, Vienna and Prague? 2 for each plus one day travel in between just about uses up all of your time.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your valued opinions....Yes, Munich is to be included and I agree the schedule is far too agressive...we will drop Vienna/Prague and more leisurely enjoy the trip.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 03:11 PM

Having started this with advice to go to all the places you named, I'd like to make sure you understand that I am not necessarily recommending you do it. I gave you my answer in the context of whether your original objectives could be accomplished, and indeed they can with some difficulty.

However, left to my own desires and with some hope for future travel again to Europe, I would say that the average experienced traveler does not attempt the rather stressful schedule you have named. You wondered whether you could "cover and enjoy" those destinations, and I would say that you can cover but might not enjoy the hurry-up schedule.

You also asked whether anyone has attempted this itinerary in the 8 day period. I have done basically this same itinerary in 7 days and have felt that I was able to at least get a broad brush across all those destinations; but it was hurried and not likely to be appealing to most people. My specific itinerary allowed half a day each for Rothenburg and Neuschwanstein, evening travel to Salzburg for one night and day, evening travel to Vienna for 2 nights and 2 days, evening travel to Prague for 2 days, and a day to travel back to Munich. It was a challenge, and it was tiring, and I would not do it again. Apparently I misled you and others into thinking I would recommend doing it. My previous post was based more on saying that it is possible, not necessarily enjoyable or practical.

As for what I would do if I had 8 days and wanted to visit the most interesting sights (to me), I would eliminate Rothenburg because it is too touristy and isn't really all that much more interesting than a lot of other German or Austrian villages you might see along the way. I would also drop Neuschwanstein and buy a few postcards with the castle picture instead. That said, you could use the 8 days to see all three of the other cities. You'll see lots of palaces and castles, and if you drive a car you'll have some flexibility to stop and visit villages along the way. That's still a bit stressful, but I have an idea you'll enjoy Salzburg, Vienna, and Prague (and some part of Munich) more than Rothenburg and Neuschwanstein.

I assume 8 full days will mean 9 nights in Europe. Here's what I would do:
-Arrive in Munich, presumably early to mid-morning, and drive to Salzburg. Spend the first 2 nights in Salzburg, giving you about a day and a half.
-Leave Salzburg fairly early in the morning and drive to Vienna. Spend 3 nights in Vienna.
-Leave Vienna early in the morning and drive to Prague. Spend 3 nights in Prague.
-Drive back to Munich for your last night. That makes 9 nights and 8 full days. If that is what your schedule is, I think you will enjoy the 3 different cities plus Munich. If it's too much moving, I suggest you add a day or two to both Vienna and Prague, and omit Salzburg. Good luck.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Wayne,
Appreciate such a detailed response. It is very helpful and the itinerary you recommend I believe is the solution (2 nts Salzburg, 3nts Vienna, 3 nts Prague, 1 nt Munich). Again, thank you for responding.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 11:59 AM

I will be traveling about the same time. We are spending 3 nights in Munich & are going to book a cottage or apartment for a week hopefully in the Zell am See area & day-trip from there. Salzburg & Hallstadt on our our list as well, but w/a nearly 2 year old we've fpound it easier to have a base of operations & not move around so much. I would not consider Vienna but if you would want to do Prague I would split the time equally between the Czech Rep. & Germany. You will find plenty to do & see in close proximity however. This will be our third trip to the area & we find something new every time... Wayne is really not considereing the travel time involved, you are going to use 1 & 1/2 - 2 of your days just getting to all of these places. Salzburg is easily reachable but Vienna is 6+ hours & Prague is 9-10 hours.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 01:47 PM

I suggest more time in Munich. If you follow the Prague/Salzberg/Vienna plan, it looks like you'll miss Germany altogether. It's a great place to spend a day or two to get over your jet lag. The beerhalls, eiscafes, and parks are filled with people, but are relaxing as well.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 05:26 PM

I think you need to calculate your travel time in this plan. Do that before you sink plans in concrete.
Also bear in mind that in April the weather will be warmer but certainly not hot, and you will have more than 12 hours a day of day light by then.

But factor in your transit time. Figure how long you will be sitting and riding and when you will be arriving.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 08:02 AM

This area is very easy to drive and if you cut out Vienna all of the other cities would be fairly close.
Unless things have changed, you may not be able to take a rental car into the Czech Republic but you could always take a train from Munich (or other city).
I would not leave out Prague, a personal favorite, magnificent city.(I heard they were going to the Euro soon, don't miss all the great bargains)

1-2 days-Neuschwanstein area.
We were able to see Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangua, Wieskierche, and Linderhof in a day following Rick Steves loop tour of the area. We stayed at the foot of the castles...beautifully lit at night.
2 days-Salzburg. We only spent an afternoon here and regretted not having more time...we will have to go back!
1 day-Rothenburg- if you spend the night you miss the crowds...go on the night watchman tour.
Turn in rental car.
2 days-take train to Prague
1-2 days-Munich.

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 03:46 PM

To chip - and others...

Please clarify your remark about driving a rental car into the Czech Republic.

I'd like to rent one in Germany, loop via Bamberg to Karlovy Vary, Prague, Kutna Hora, Cesky Krumlov and into Austria. Do I have a problem with this?

Thanks.