Search

7 days switzerland itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 days switzerland itinerary

Hi everyone,

I am taking a overnight train from Budapest to Zurich . Reach Zurich at 7:30am then directly to Lucerne

11 June Lucerne - Mt Titlis

12 June Lucerne - Golden pass - InterLaken and area

13 June Lucerne

14 June - St. Moritz - from Lucerne take a morning train to lugano then Bernina Express -stay in Moritz

15 June -St. Moritz

16 June - Zermat - from Moritz to Zermatt Glacier express

17 June - filght at 5:30pm to USA

I iam not sure if that is too much of train or if i chould skip the Glacier express and from Moritc go directly to Zuric and skip Zermatt?

any suggestion would be helpful

thanks

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/community/fo...#ixzz1prqlefod
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 09:40 AM

quickly great sites for train info for Switzerland with travel times, etc and about Swiss Passes, Half-Fare cards, etc - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.swisstravelsystem.com and www.ricksteves.com. I think you should definitely spend more time in the Interlaken-Jungfrau area - to me and many the absolute highlight of Switzerland and cut somewhere else - the GEx IMo is the most over-hyped train in Switzerland but not nearly the most scenic - I would keep St Moritz and the Bernina Express - IMO not only Switzerland's bur Europe's most awesomely scenic train ride and scratch Zermatt - spend more time in Jungfrau Region and less time on the rails and forget the Glacier Express.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 11:08 AM

Hello!

I would rather skip the Bernina express and do this itenerary:

Zurich-Lucerne-Interlaken-Zermatt-Glacier express-St Moritz-Zurich

You could also skip the glacier express but then you will have trouble to get from St.-Moritz to anywhere else in Switzerland.

Have a nice trip!
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 12:32 PM

If going to St Moritz do NOT miss the Bernina Pass Railway - the most astounding rail line in Switzerland - it has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage site and can be a sweet sweet day trip from St Moritz - get off at the summit to stroll to a glacier at the end of a placid glacier-fed lake - totally awesome and unparalleled by any train line in Europe IMO - the Glacier Express for most is an 8-hour marathon thru often nice but not spectacular scenery - but it does have tilting wine glasses that help occupy the time!
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 09:30 AM

http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id3.html

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1276

Two good sites with details on the Bernina Pass Railway - on first one scroll down to "Milan to Switzerland via the Bernina Pass" (or some such wording)
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 05:34 AM

For the Golden Pass train consider nabbing the few VIP seats - these are seats right next to the train driver's compartment and lets you simulate driving the train!