7 days in the UK

May 3rd, 2007, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

7 days in the UK

We will be travelling to the UK in late June with a 10 yr old and 18 yr old. We will stay 5 days in London and then head out of town for about 7 days.

We have thrown around the idea of Bath,Stonehedge etc.

Any ideas or tips on where to go and where to stay?

May 3rd, 2007, 06:36 AM

Is this your first time in London? If so, I think you should spend all your time (5 days) there. London is such a huge place that it is really hard to give ideas without knowing your interests.

Also, if you mean this June, you should get cracking on finding lodgings.
May 3rd, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Joe, we will spend 5 days in london(2nd time)and then head out of london for 7 days.

May 3rd, 2007, 07:03 AM

How are you getting around? Car, bus or train. I think there is lots more to see north of London, York, Durham, the moors and dales of Yorkshire. Also, hotels or B&B's. What's yor budget?
May 3rd, 2007, 07:12 AM

By "out of town" I assume you mean driving elsewhere and not simply day trips from London. A lot depends on your interests of course. A couple of things my family (kids 12, 10, and 7 at the time) did last summer; toss these ideas to your family and see what they think:

1. Windsor (this can be a day trip from London): Windsor Castle, Legoland (primarily for the 10 yo)

2. Sherwood Forest

3. York: Yorkminster/statue of Constantine, city wall walk, it's own version of the Eye

4. Alnwick (for Harry Potter fans): Alnwick Castle, Alnwick gardens

5. Derbyshire: Speedwell Caverns, Winnet's Pass (beautiful views)

Good luck w/the plans and the trip!
May 3rd, 2007, 07:43 AM

My suggestions for places to go -

London - 5 days:
-Tower of London
-Imperial War Museum
-Theatre (twice - once matinee, once
in evening) - Mary Poppins & Shakespeare at Globe
-Thames Cruise to Hampton Court & Maze/or to Greenwich
- Covent Garden - to wander about and see street performers
- Harry Potter cruise if kids are interested
- London Eye
- Museum of London or Science Museum
- Specific exhibits at British Museum depending on your interests - mummies, treasures from Sutton Hoo, etc.
- Underground Cabinet War Rooms
- Walking from Trafalgar Square to Buckingham Palace to Houses of Parliament

Friends that have gone have let each child plan an afternoon that the entire family participates in and that has worked well.

If you are driving when you leave London, there are lots of possibilities. My preference would be to rent a self catering cottage and make day trips from there, particularly with a family. In a cottage, you can stay in the country, village or in a larger town.

If you are limited by public transportation, you will probably focus on larger centers like Bath, York, Penzance, Canterbury, Liverpool, etc. Since there is so much to do and see in England, I think you should design the 7 days around your family's interests. What gives you joy? Makes you giggle? What things about England are you really curious about? What are your own hobbies?

In England, you can do everything from beach holidays, travelling on the canals, riding horses, hiking, seeing great estates, interesting and strange museums, etc. If you can tell us a bit more about that kind of thing you will get a lot of good suggestions.

And I agree with JoeTro, if it is this June, you really had better get cracking.
May 3rd, 2007, 07:53 AM

England is a biiiiig place. Your 7 days could be spent anywhere so have you done any reasearch besides considering Bath and Stonehenge (note the spelling)

Do you plan on driving? If so you could spend the entire 7 days in a rented cottage someplace like the Cotswolds and be able to do day trip to Bath/Stonehenge, Warwick, Stratford-upon-Avon, Oxford , Blenheim Palace and all of the lovely Cotswold villages.

OR

You could spend the entire time south of London in Kent/east sussex. Visit Dover, Canterbury, MANY castles and MANY gardens, steam trains etc etc.

OR

You could spend the entire time in Yorkshire

OR . . . . well you get the idea.

Or you could move around a bit and stay 2-3 nights in 2-3 areas.

So - first I'd pick up a guide book or two and narrow down what sorts of places appeal to you and then come back and we can help you plan you itinerary.
May 3rd, 2007, 07:55 AM

shoot! forgot to turn off the underline. This is better:

England is a biiiiig place. Your 7 days could be spent anywhere so have you done any reasearch besides considering Bath and Stonehenge (note the spelling)

Do you plan on driving? If so you could spend the entire 7 days in a rented cottage someplace like the Cotswolds and be able to do day trip to Bath/Stonehenge, Warwick, Stratford-upon-Avon, Oxford , Blenheim Palace and all of the lovely Cotswold villages.

OR

You could spend the entire time south of London in Kent/east sussex. Visit Dover, Canterbury, MANY castles and MANY gardens, steam trains etc etc.

OR

You could spend the entire time in Yorkshire

OR . . . . well you get the idea.

Or you could move around a bit and stay 2-3 nights in 2-3 areas.

So - first I'd pick up a guide book or two and narrow down what sorts of places appeal to you and then come back and we can help you plan you itinerary.
May 3rd, 2007, 08:20 AM

If you decide to do Bath/Stonehenge (which I recommend) there is a great little tour company that we used last year -- MadMax Tours www.madmaxtours.co.uk
. We got the recommendation through Rick Steves' website. The full-day tour left Bath in the early morning and went to Stonehenge, Avebury, Lacock (National Trust Village), and Castle Coombe. It was only 25 GBP and included lunch in Lacock. It was a nice one day trip out of London (we took the train to/from Bath). They also have a full day tour of the Cotswalds which is a nice. Since they only take around 15 people on each tour you would need to book early.

The one thing we noticed though was that Bath closes down at around 5:30/6:00 PM. So if you do a full day tour you won't be able to see very much of Bath and you definitely want to do that. There is much to see there including the new Spa which opened last Summer. It has gotten rave reviews from all who have been there.

When in London, a good evening of family fun could be one of the many walking tours of London. I recommend London Walks tours. http://www.walks.com We usually try to do a couple on each trip. The Jack the Ripper tour in the evenings is always facinating. We've done this one 4-5 times and it's different every time. Both your 10 year old and 18 year old will enjoy it. They have lots of interesting day walks and evening pub crawls also. They even have "explorer days" outside of London.
May 3rd, 2007, 08:53 AM
cko

i was working in london for 3 months. i took a day off from work and did a tour bus thing where they take you to windsor castle, stonehenge and bath all in one day. and trust me, it takes an entire day. you leave at 8:30am and get back at 7/8ish.
May 3rd, 2007, 10:30 AM

The two first questions have to be what are your interests and how will you be travelling?

After that I find myself asking why you are spending five out of twelve days in London. The UK has a lot more to offer than that crowded, expensive city. London may have plenty to offer, but it has many drawbacks.

A lot of the suggestions centre on the usual, predictable tourist traps: Bath, Cotswolds, Stonehedge (wherever that is, perhaps it's like Stonehenge but green), Warwick, York. Fine places, but over-run with tourists.

So that raises more questions. Do you want to spend all your time with tourists or do you want to see what the real UK is like? And do you mean UK or England?

Comments from rogerdodger and janisj are worth considering.

Do you dare to be different? Try getting to some fine smaller English towns like King's Lynn, Louth, Beverley, Helmsley and Hexham to name but a few up just one side of the country, you might see something of the real UK. And bear in mind the further north you go the better England gets ;-).
May 7th, 2007, 04:38 AM

Mary Poppins is excellent. There are discount ticket at http://www.broadwaybox.com/london/th...s_tickets.aspx
May 7th, 2007, 05:03 AM

SomeDude - you have posted a link to broadwaybox on about 50 threads. Give it a rest! (Advertising isn't allowed on here)
May 7th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Aquaart

I was in London for two weeks last summer. Lots to do in the city - all the obvious places.

Did Windsor Castle on own - took a bus. You do NOT need to pay to take a tour here. You get right of the bus and are in the town and can walk right to the Castle. I spent an entire day in the two towns and castle. Very fun.

we took a Grayline tour to Stonehenge and Bath and that was great. We paid a bit extra for the private viewing in the evening and it was well worth it. Otherwise you cannot get very close. This way you get to walk right among the stones.

The other tour I did was in the Cotswolds - it was great, but it would have been better if I could have driven there and spent more time there. The tours are too rushed and this place is gorgeous.

I was there in the heat wave last year and the Metro was horrendous with the heat. I hope you have better luck with the weather because if it is really hot the metro is just plain nasty.