7 days in Italy - where would you go??

Apr 27th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

7 days in Italy - where would you go??

Okay. I have asked a couple of questions on here about Italy. My fiance and I are planning a trip to Italy for our honeymoon in March. We have never been to Europe. Our tastes are completely different, and that is why I need your help. I am more of a "sit back, relax, and take things in" kind of person. I could spend all day in a museum or sitting on a balcony that overlooks the sea. For meals, I like sitting and talking while trying new, different foods. He is more of a "have to be moving, have to be doing something or seeing something new" kind of person. As much as I love him, he is the map-holding tourist looking for cheap food on a stick. Can you help me with suggestions of your favorite places in Italy? We are trying to decide between spending all 7 days in Rome or splitting the time between two places. I would love to see Positano, but I'm not hearing good things about the weather on the coast in March. My two questions are: Would you spend your honeymoon in Rome, and What are the two most romantic places in Italy that can be seen in 7 days?
Apr 27th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Well you asked the right questions. The absolute best trip I ever took was my honeymoon in Italy. I have been back to Italy 3 times since but the magic of the honeymoon is unforgettable. 23 years later I still always remember that trip. I would suggest 4 nights in Rome and then 3 nights in Florence. It is difficult to see any place else in such a short time other than Rome and Florence. If you want to really stretch your self you can go to Venice and fly out of the Venice airport and just spend 3 nights in Rome and 2 nights in Florence and the rest in Venice. That was almost our itinerary on our honeymoon but we spent 2 nights in Geneva after Venice. Enjoy your honeymoon.
Apr 28th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Given that you're going in March, I would spend the 7 days in Rome. The weather on the Amalfi Coast will probably be rainy, damp, foggy since it's on the water. Rome will be warmer and you might get some days warm enough for outdoor cafes.

You can do a couple of day trips outside Rome. Orvieto will give you a taste of a beautiful small town. Florence is 1.5 hours on the train.

There are so many thing to do in Rome that 7 days won't be enough. Sightseeing is varied: museums, lots of beautiful churches, quiet small squares and streets, inexpensive paninis from street vendors or bars, upscale dining. It's a place that will satisfy both of your needs.
Apr 28th, 2005, 06:57 AM
ira

Hi CG,

I suggest fly into Venice (one of the world's most romantic cities) 3 nights, train to Florence 3 nights. Fly home from Florence FLR or Pisa PSA.

If you wish, you could visit Siena as a daytrip from Florence.

Plenty for your new hubby to do in both cities and lots of places for you to sit and people watch.

Venice
Secret Itineraries tour of Doge’s palace Phone number is 011 39 041 520 9070.

Florence
Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 1.60 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.
You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Have a great visit.

Apr 28th, 2005, 07:09 AM

I'd vote for the Venice and Florence itinerary Ira proposed. To my taste, Rome is too huge, busy, hectic (and can be overwhelming) for a first trip to Europe, especially a honeymoon.
Apr 28th, 2005, 07:57 AM

With 7 days, I also suggest the Venice and Florence option. Given the preferences of both you and your fiance, I think you could find lots to do in these two cities that would meet both of your needs.
Apr 28th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, everyone! I am so glad that you offered your opinions. We are considering Venice and Florence rather than Rome. Once again, THANK YOU.
Apr 28th, 2005, 10:05 AM

You're welcome.

May I give you my favorite Venice hotel? It is popular (with good reason) so reserve early. See what you think (try for a front corner room with view of the Guidecca canal):

www.lacalcina.com
Apr 28th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Florence and Rome for me. I am one of the few that does ont find Venice romantic or charming. And it wasn't the company!
Apr 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Personally I would chose Rome. And yes a day trip to Orvietto would be nice.

Rereading your thread it seems to me that Rome offers what you both like. Plenty of places where you can "stop and smell the roses" and certainly your fiance will have something to do and see every moment he wants to. IMO you can get food for less cost then in Venice also.

If you do want to stay in two different places then I would spend a few nights in Florence also.

christygirl, whatever you decide, have a beautiful honeymoon in Italy! Best wishes to you both.
Apr 28th, 2005, 12:13 PM

Since you are the sit back and relax type of girl and he is up and going kind of guy, I don't think that spending your entire honeymoon in Rome would be the best idea. There is way too much to do Rome - I can see a major conflict errupting between you and your fiance because of your different travel personalities - not the way to spend a honeymoon! I would suggest a split of your time between Rome and Venice, a perfect first-timer trip to Italy.

In fact, my first trip to Italy was only 5 days and we split the time between Venice and Rome (3 nights in Venice, 2 nights in Rome). It worked out so well. Although there is much to see and do in Venice, the place not only beckons you to take leisurly strolls, it demands it with all of the twists and turns of this maze-like city. Venice = romance, perfect for the occasion!

By the way, Venice in March can be a lttle cool and grey or sunny and warm. It's a little unpredictable, but very nice either way. The last time we visited it was more cool and grey, which I thought actually added to the mystery and allure. It felt to me like it softened the edges making it feel like a water color dream.

Between the go-go-go of Rome and the wandering serendipity of Venice, I think you will both have an plenty to enjoy.
Apr 28th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Was just in Italy last fall. My vote would be a few days in Venice OR Florence, but definitely some time in Rome. It cannot be missed - we were there only 2 days and will definitely go back for another visit at some point. Arrange a drive around Rome at nighttime - many sites are lit up and it's just beautiful. Uffizi in Florence was outstanding, and Venice is very crowded, touristy, but unlike any other place we've ever been. Hard choice....
Apr 28th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Yes, a private night tour of Rome is exquisite!

Apr 28th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Another vote for Rome with a couple of daytrips to Orvieto, Hadrian's villa , etc.
Apr 28th, 2005, 02:07 PM

I'm with the Florence and Venice crowd.
Two manageable smaller cities, both of which are crazy-crowded in summer, so you'll be there at an advantageous time.
You may have some rain or chill, but that would be true in other places as well.

I'd say go to Florence for the first half, take a train to Venice. Arriving at the Venice Santa Lucia train station and stepping outside for the first time, is a memorable experience.

Rent the film "Summertime" with K Hepburn, and just update the boats and clothes by 40 years. Everything else is pretty much the same.

I have long files on Florence and Venice; if you'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]

congratulations
Apr 28th, 2005, 06:45 PM

You must see Rome. Even if it's busy, crowded, and overused, it is still one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The ruins are amazing. Please see Rome also. You will not regret it.
Apr 28th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

I am so grateful to you all for your opinions. I will certainly update you on where we decide to go! Thanks so much for the "best wishes" comments. We can't wait to spend our lives together, and I'm sure that we will love wherever we decide. It seems that you can't go wrong with Italy!
Apr 28th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Christygirl,

I'd choose Florence for a honeymoon in March. For your tastes it is romantic, compact enough for strolling and slower paced than Rome. On the other hand it has an extremely deep well of attractions for your husband if he is at all interested in art, sculpture and architecture. I have a list of attractions around somewhere that I will fish out for you. There are lovely places to stay in small hotels. Even the least expensive restaurants and cafes prepare fresh and delicious menus which it sounds like your husband would like. Instead of shopping for souvenir trinkets shop for incredible clothing and leather products at bargain prices in markets. Very friendly residents.

Rome is a huge city with tons to see and St Peter's, the Vatican Museum w/Sistine chapel, the Parthenon and the Colosseum will knock your socks off. It is a less personal place than Florence however.

I'm not a big fan of Venice. It seems like more of a stage set/theme park than a city at this point. I will say that it is beautiful and unique. Your days will be spent on water taxis and walking up and down narrow alleyways with lots of other people. The attractions there cannot hold a candle to Florence or Rome however IMO. I think people who like it enjoy the look of the surroundings for the most part. Venice floods from time to time too. : (

I'd say spend at least 4 days in Florence and three in Rome if you like art, architecture and sculpture. Your husband may like Rome more if he is a history buff at all. I think you're right to steer clear of the coast. It would be a disappointment.

Someone else here already said that the train trip is short between Florence and Rome. It is. You could leave your bags in your hotel room and day trip into Rome if you like whenever the spirit moves you.

kakalena
Apr 28th, 2005, 08:40 PM

Will these things keep you husband busy while you stroll along from cafe to cafe together? This is a motherlode of art, architecture and sculpture.

Florence Architecture

Church of San Spirito, by Brunelleschi, at Florence, Italy, 1434 to 1482.
Duomo - Florence Cathedral, by Arnolfo di Cambio, at Florence, Italy, 1296 to 1462.
Laurentian Library, by Michelangelo, at Florence, Italy, 1525.
Ospedale Degli Innocenti, by Brunelleschi, at Florence, Italy, 1424 to 1445.
Palazzo Strozzi, by Benedetto da Maiano, at Florence, Italy, 1489 to 1539.
Pazzi Chapel, by Brunelleschi, at Florence, Italy, 1429 to 1461.
Ponte Vecchio, by Taddeo Gaddi, at Florence, Italy, 1345 and 1564.
S. Maria Novella, by Leon Battista Alberti, at Florence, Italy, 1456 to 1470.
S. Maria degli Angeli, by Brunelleschi, at Florence, Italy, 1434 to 1437.
San Lorenzo, Florence, by Brunelleschi, at Florence, Italy, 1421 to 1440.
Michelangelo square - overlook of City

Art and sculpture
Uffizi Gallery - Giotto, Della Francesca, Lippi, Botticelli, Da Vinci, Raphael, Michelangelo Roundel, Titian, Tintoretto, Rubens, Caravaggio, Rembrandt
Gallery of the Academy - Michelangelo sculpture and the David
Duomo, Duomo Museum - Baptistery Bell Tower- Brunelleschi dome, Ghiberti doors, Pisano, Della Robia, Donatello sculpture, Michelangelo's Pieta w/self portrait
Medici chapel - Michelangelo architecture and sculpture !
Basilica of San Lorenzo - Brunelleschi, Donatello, Michelangelo, Lippi
Bargello Museum - Michelangelo, Cellini, Donatello's David, Della Robbia
Palatine Gallery - Rubens, Titian, Raphael, Lippi
Palazzo Della signora - Michelangelo, Donatello sculpture w/Cellini bronze on palazzo
Ponte Vecchio - gold merchant bridge on river Arno

Rome:

Arch of Constantine, by unknown, at Rome, Italy, 315.
Arch of Titus, by unknown, at Rome, Italy, 81.
Domus Aurea, by Severus and Celer, at Rome, Italy, 64.
Farnese Palace, by Antonio da Sangallo, at Rome, Italy, 1534.
Pantheon, by unknown, at Rome, Italy, 118 to 126.
Piazza Navona, by Bernini, at Rome, Italy, 1600 's.
Piazza del Campidoglio, by Michelangelo, at Rome, Italy, 1538 to ~ 1650.
Piazza di Spagna, or the Spanish Steps, by Alessandro Specchi, at Rome, Italy, 1721 to 1725.
Piazza of St. Peter's, by Bernini, at Vatican City, surrounded by Rome, Italy, 1656 to 1667.
Roman Colosseum, by unknown, at Rome, Italy, 70 to 82.
S. Ivo della Sapienza, by Frencesco Borromini, at Rome, Italy, 1642 to 1650.
S. Maria Della Pace, by Donato Bramante, at Rome, Italy, 1478 to 1483.
S. Carlo Alle Quattro Fontane, by Frencesco Borromini, at Rome, Italy, 1638 to 1641.
S. Andrea al Quirinale, by Bernini, at Rome, Italy, 1658 to 1665.
Sforza Chapel, by Michelangelo, at Rome, Italy, 1558.
St. Peter's of Rome, by Giacomo della Porta, at Vatican City, surrounded by Rome, Italy, 1546 to 1564 and 1590.
Tempietto of San Pietro, by Donato Bramante, at Montorio, Rome, Italy, 1502.
Temple of Venus and Rome, by Hadrian, at Rome, Italy, 123 to 135.
The Roman Forum, by collective, at Rome, Italy, -100 to 300.
Thermae of Caracalla, by unknown, at Rome, Italy, 212 to 216.

Apr 28th, 2005, 10:27 PM

Hi Christygirl,

I agree with Ira's initial post: Venice and Florence. I have been to Rome and Florence, and what everyone states is true, while Rome is fascinating and rich in history, there is a huge amount to see, one could easily spend their entire trip in just that city and not see everything. One other thing about Rome is that I found it to be spread out. I went to Florence after Rome and I was completely enchanted, what a lovely walkable city. Very doable to please both you and your fella, there is such wonder everywhere, yet it will not leave you feeling scattered. I couldn’t remember how far apart everything was, in fact I posted a question on it earlier today, I just remembered it was so walkable. The answers to my posts reminded me it was even better than I thought. You will simply bask in it. I have not been to Venice yet (Florence and Venice is coming up for us next January) but I am told that it is similar in that you walk everywhere and are enchanted by the beauty.

Remember marriage is about compromise. How about he gets his "food on a stick" for lunch and you get a nice, relaxing, delicious dinner with good wine!

Just some thoughts from a happily married gal, hee.

Have a wonderful time.

Ohhhhhhh, one more thing, definitely do what Ira said about flying into one city and leaving from another, it is not expensive like it used to be, our tickets were fantastic, and that saves more "running around" Fly into one, train to the other and fly out. Simple, lovely, everybody's happy!

If you have any other questions about accommodations or sights, just ask or click on my name, I literally have just been planning this exact trip for us and have been very happy with the progress.

Enjoy, ChristyGirl, Happy Wedding & Happy Honeymoon! T.

Search this Thread