Search

7 days in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 days in Italy

My Husband and I are going to Italy. I think we are going to fly into Pisa and out of Rome. We are thinking about renting a car in Pisa spending a few days in Tuscany then taking a train to the Amalfi coast for a few days and spending a couple days in Rome before we leave. This seems pretty rushed to me but we have our hearts set on seeing Tuscany and have been told that the Amalfi Coast is the best place in Italy and that we must spend time in Rome. (Don't get me wrong I do look forward to seeing Rome and Amalfi.)
Anyway we should be arriving late on September 22 and Fly out of Rome on the 29th. I have seen it posted that you can rent a car in one place and drop it in another. Any suggestions on a rental car company to use for this?
How important is it for us to have reservations at hotels before we go? We are thinking that if we leave a few nights open we will have some flexibility to spend more time in places we enjoy.
Any advice is welcome.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 04:33 AM
ira

Hi L,

You have 7 days and you want to split it among, Tuscany, the AC and Rome - each of which is worth a week.

Not to mention leaving out Venice.

>This seems pretty rushed to me ...<

Tired me out just reading about it.

However,
> I have seen it posted that you can rent a car in one place and drop it in another.

Yes.

>Any suggestions on a rental car company to use for this?

www.gemut.com, www.autoeurope.com and www.novacarhire.com. The first 2 will usually meet the price of the third.

>How important is it for us to have reservations at hotels before we go?

You are still in high season for the AC. I strongly recommend reservations.

>We are thinking that if we leave a few nights open we will have some flexibility to spend more time<

You only have 6 nights split among 3 venues. How much loitering can you expect to do?

Looking forward to your trip report.

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 04:59 AM

"...have been told that the Amalfi Coast is the best place in Italy "
By whom?

To add on to Ira's advice, this schedule is unreasonable.
If your heart is set on Tuscany, rent a car and spend 3 nights there and spend the other three in Rome.
You plan to arrive in 2 weeks and don't have plane or rooms set. You better make your decisions ASAP. I vevture to say that most recommended places are booked.
Leaving "nights open" won't work.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:09 AM

The Amalfi Coast is often compared to the Cinque Terre - the two are quite similar to each other.

Since you're flying into Pisa, I suggest that you proceed to the nearby Cinque Terre before going on to Tuscany.

Because your itinerary is "pretty rushed" (an understatement IMO), you can then omit the Amalfi Coast, which is too far out of the way.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:09 AM

Ditto the other two responses. You will not have time to do anything but rush from place to place. And you have waited too long to make hotel reservations, IMO.

If you only have a week and have airfare confirmed open jaw, then split the time between Florence and Rome. You will not be giving either place much time but it is better than your proposed itinerary by far.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:20 AM

Wow, I didn't realize that so many people are sensitive about paying exactly for what they ate! I find it difficult to fathom why adding up each person's/couple's actual total is a mood killer or somehow insulting or uncomfortable.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Oops, somehow posted on the wrong thread! Sorry. But as long as I'm here, I am in general agreement with the others on the 7 Day plan. Though I do like the Amalfi Coast.