Reload this Page >

6yr old travelling with us to Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Phyllis

Our son is a mature 6 1/2 year old & will be travelling with us for 5 days in Switzerland in July. Any suggestions what a child would find enjoyable in particular?<BR>Thanks, Phyllis

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Ursula

Phyllis: Every town or area has special things to visit that might be fun for your son. Please name the places you will visit, and it will be much easier to give you some ideas.<BR>Anyway, here are some:<BR>Museum of Transportation, Lucerne<BR>Ballenberg Museum (open air museum with typical Swiss houses)<BR>Swiss Miniature, Melide (Switezrland in small)<BR>Zoo in Zurich or Basel<BR>Take the old fashioned red trolley to visit Zurich (stops on the lakeside)<BR>Tinguely Museum in Basel<BR>Trips on any lake<BR>Feed the swans on the lakesides<BR>Rhine Falls in Schaffhausen<BR>Trips onto a mountain (Rigi, Pilatus, etc.)<BR>Ride the trams in any city<BR>Take him to Franz Carl Weber or Pastorini. Two very good toy shops in Zurich. <BR>Pastorini specializes in wooden items.<BR>Please let me know, when you need more specific info. <BR>When in a restaurant, have a look for "Kinder-Menu" or "Kinder-Teller". Usually smaller (and also cheaper) portions, food children do like in particular, often with french fries, and a toy or something funny to go with. Very often an ice cream to finish.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Ursula

PS: Phyllis: Just wanted to add the web page for the Ballenberg Museum:<BR>http://www.ballenberg.ch/english/explorer.htm<BR><BR>BTW, will you have a car?

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Shannon

I second the Museum of Transportation in Lucerne, as well as the swans there, the covered bridge, and a trip up to Mt. Pilatus on the cog train/gondola ride back down.<BR><BR>In Berne, the bear pits and the zoo.<BR><BR>In Montreux, the long parkway with loads of playground and play areas along the waterfront, and a boat ride on Lac Leman.<BR><BR>Cheese fondue (just make sure they don't add extra wine in it) or Raclette.<BR>

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Andy

We just returned from 2 weeks in Switzerland with our 8 year son and he had a ball. His favorite was the rodelbahn in Kandersteg. We stayed there with www.untours.com and reccomend it highly. The rodelbahn ride not unlike a bobsled that is controlled by a brake. Check out www.kandersteg.com.<BR><BR>Andy

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Noelle

Dont forget to buy some great choclate!!

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:25 AM
jw

Glanced at this thread out of curiosity and especially enjoyed Ursula's list. Ursula, if you're out there, it's spectacular! I'm going to copy it just on the outside chance that I bring my niece w/me one of these days. The suggestion about the Tinguely Museum is priceless! Inspired! Affectionately, J.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Ursula

jw: Here, for you, the web site for the Tinguely Museum:<BR><BR>http://www.tinguely.ch/index.html<BR><BR>Jean Tinguely died in 1991 and his wife, Niki de Saint Phalle, just a couple of weeks ago, too. In the US, I think.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Rita

Hi Phyllis<BR>Our family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids ages 7 & 10) spent 4 days in Lauterbrunnen & surrounding area in mid-June. Our kids really enjoyed the train ride to Jungfrau and hiking in the mountains near Murren. Chad (our 7 year old son) got his own special walking stick & loved showing the movie camera how well he could use it to climb. Kids also enjoyed the cows with bells that crossed our mountain path & splashing in the mountain streams running alongside the path.<BR>In Interlakken there is summer bob-sled type ride that the kids really liked as well. I've also heard (but we didn't have a chance to try to find it) of a chocolate factory near Broc that does tours & lets you sample the goodies.<BR>Have a fun trip!