Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

60 days in Europe/I'm here, what should I do??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are from the States and arrived in Frankfurt, Germany on 02/20. We have 60 days in Europe total, 21 day Eurorail passes, free lodging in Germany, Belgium and England, no plans or ideas on what to do yet. One experience I must have is visiting some World War II Memorials. Any ideas on that? Any ideas of places we must see?????? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:21 PM

I'm envious that you have sixty days to visit Europe. I'm lucky to visit one city for only a week at a time and I try to read up on sights that I'd like to check out.

However, I cannot believe that before you left home you didn't even research what and where you want to see other than WWII sights. As to that I would think that visiting Normandy would be good.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Head for the nearest TI and find out what there is to see in your area. Since you are interested in WWII, why not find out where the concentration camp memorials are and check those out.

Go to the bookstore and see if you can find a guidebook - Rick Steves might be a good one for you to start with. Very basic easy to understand general information. Check out his website: www.ricksteves.com Fodors has miniguides online as well.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Well, to be honest, we had this trip planned, and then our house burned down. We weren't able to do the research we had wanted, but hey, we still made it!!
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:43 PM

Good for you. Roll with the punches and keep moving forward.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:56 PM

DK books are good too for planning.

If you are in Germany or more importantly Poland then do visit a concentration camp. You will be a changed person.

See the Mediterranean. Drive through Tuscany. Take a cooking lesson.See Provence, some places along the Italian and French Riviera are warm all year long. See ancient sites near Rome or in Greece. Visit Turkey (have a Turkish bath), Istanbul, Kusadasi. But don't see too much or it will all be a blur. And spend a few days at a wonderful spa just to relax.

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 12:16 AM

I suppose that you will want to take the advantage of free lodging. Where exactly have you this oportunity?
Maybe we can help, if we know this first.

Then, are you interested in art, history, nature, architecture??
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Lodging #1 is in Heidelberg, Germany. (Sister and brother-in-laws empty apartment). This is where we have been since 02/20.
Lodging #2 is in Lincolshire, England (many aunts and uncles waiting for us to arrive)
Lodging #3 Brussels, Begium. Missionary from our home church is waiting for us.

What are we interested in???
The Mediterranean, Venice, taking the ferry to Morocco from Tarifa, Spain with a day tour, visiting orphanages around Europe, and quick day trips in all the major cities while using our Eurail pass.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:35 AM

From Brussels you can make day trip to Anvers, Brugges, Gent and Waterloo.
Haga is not far also.
You can travele by train to Paris and spend there at least a week.
If you in any case will go till Tarifa, you can go also to Gibraltar, Seville, Ronda, etc.

You have a lot of possibilities, a lot of time and can have a beutiful vacation.

However, it is difficult for me to advise, because I do not how many nights do you want to spend in the places free of charge, and if you want to visit something while stay there, or only to be with your relatives.

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:38 AM

I'd recommend posting some questions at the SlowTalk.com site. It's oriented towards "slow" travelers who like to spend a week or more in each place, and this is what you are doing by necessity.