Reload this Page >

6 yold daughter to soccer match?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 05:20 AM
missy

My husband bought tickets for us to see Tottenham vs. Liverpool while we are in London later this month. There have been quite a few reports about violence at matches and I am wondering if it is safe to bring our 6 year old daughter to the game? I do realize much of the widely publicized incidents happened at international matches and was assuming that this game would be OK. I was concerned when we got our tickets and saw that we were in the front row of the west stand lower tier. Can anyone advise? We could arrange for a sitter or perhaps my husband can go alone. Thanks in advance.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 05:22 AM
missy

Oh my, what a terrible faux pas - that should of course be football, not soccer!

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 08:08 AM
Nigel Doran

Violence does happen, but not as much as you might think. However, it is acknowledged that there is sometimes an atmosphere that might be hard for a 6 year old child to adjust to as well as its parent. There can be swearing, 'laddish' (loutish) behaviour, even racial abuse. I am not at all saying that this is the norm, but there would not be the same atmosphere as at, I would guess, a baseball or basketball game. Why not ring the club or the club's fan section and put these points to a real person. You might well get the all clear, but it can get like a 'cauldron of passion' in there.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 08:56 AM
Sheila

I would somewhat concur with Nigel. I would not baulk at taking a child to a game but only if I knew that we were in an OK part of the stadium- a family enclosure or similar- or that we were in a crowd. <BR> <BR>I think without those assurances I would not take a 6 year old. <BR> <BR>Spurs-v-Liverpool is fairly big game too. Neither club has a bad reputation for violence and that is not som much my concern as that it may be an inappropriate atmosphere to expose your daughter to.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 09:20 AM
Sean

Has your daughter ever been to an American football game (the NFL, or even a college game)? If so then the drunken and loutish behaviour shown at those games will well prepare her for a REAL football game. English football fans are no worse than the brawling, drunken, body painting, sign holding, idiots you find at any NFL stadium on a Sunday afternoon. They just get worse press when a small faction of yobs (not even football fans, just trouble makers) cause a ruckus. Go, enjoy, and BE SURE TO CHEER THE SPURS ON!

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 11:31 AM
Tony Hughes

There are stweards swarming all over the place, especially at the front to stop the local pondlife gaining access to the pitch - you'll be fine. You'll hear swearing, yes, but I wouldnt have though much more than that. <BR> <BR>Arrive early, leave late.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 02:27 AM
DAvid West

I am a season ticket holder at Tottenham (so I have suffered enough, and I can tell you that you will fine. There is some violence at football, but it is between like minded individuals who are not interested in "civilians" (indeed they refer to us as "scarfers") <BR> <BR>Yes you will hear bad language (particularly if you sit near me:0). You will also lose any idea you may have about the english being reserved. <BR> <BR>A few things you should

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 02:37 AM
david west

cotd from above... <BR> <BR>about white hart lane is that it is difficult to get to. Either go on the victoria line to seven sisters and get the bus from there (its a 20+ minute walk), or get the BR train to White hart lane station and walk from there (5 mins). Its also a pretty run down area so theres not a lot to do or see other than the spurs, <BR> <BR>Enjoy yourself, convert your daughter to the beautiful game, and the lillywhites.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 02:38 AM
david west

Oh, the west stand is the quietest and most expensive stand so you'll be absolutely fine. But you will be sitting near me so cover your ears!

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 10:52 AM
missy

Thank you so much to all those who responded. I actually feel much better about the whole matter. I will most likely try and contact the club - but am leaning heavily toward bringing her unless they advise otherwise. As I said to my husband, if we are uncomfortable or feel unsafe, we can always leave. Once again - thanks for all the great feedback.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 11:26 AM
Sheila

In light of David's on the spot recommendations I withdraw my reservations. Have a great time. <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 06:02 AM
Annie

If you want to cheer for the losers, cheer for Tottenham. Liverpool is definitely the superior side this season. That said, you don't want to cheer for the away side when you are sitting with the home fans. Fans are carefully segregated to avoid trouble. I had to sit on my hands at that match last year. <BR> <BR>Anyway, you'll find White Hart Lane to be more cramped than American stadiums (by the way, it was an easy walk from the train station to the stadium). I'm 5'6 and the seats are pack so close together that I had to sit sideways to avoid sticking my knees in the back of the person in front of me. My 6-ft. husband couldn't avoid this, and we both had to sit forward because of the people behind us. <BR> <BR>Your six-year-old will love it. One note--make sure your daughter can sit in one spot for 45 minutes. Unlike American sporting events, people don't jump up and down every five seconds to go to the bathroom or buy food or roam around. They sit and watch the game, and get up at half-time. Also, the bathrooms at White Hart Lane are pretty nasty, but servicable. <BR> <BR>Have a great time. There won't be any violence. Up the Mighty Reds!

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 02:51 AM
david.west

Tragically the above post is most likely right. However the draw back with going on the overground is that the train is A) very crowded B) takes for ever, although this has to be considered along with the fact that it does deliver you much closer to the ground. I would recommend the underground and the bus but ther's not much in it...

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 04:16 AM
frank

The crowds are fairly well controlled in the stadium, most of the trouble happens before & after the game.Sensible folks don't hang around.