6 nights in Tuscany

Search

6 nights in Tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 nights in Tuscany

First of all thank all of you who take the time to answer questions from people like me! We are going to Europe next spring and are allowing 6 nights in Tuscany. After reading etc, I am thinking of 3 nights outside of Lucca on a lovely farm (we will have a rental car for the whole time) and 3 nights in Siena. It seems that we can cover so much territory by staying in those two spots. Please don't berate me but I don't feel compelled to spend time in Florence just because I don't want to be rushed. Like a speed gawker. And it has always been the countryside that has intrigued me from afar. Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good to me. You have a plan and know what you want to see. I'm not sure I'd stay in Sienna, maybe San Gim. or Pienza, they are smaller and more intimate and I love Sienna but to visit not to wander around in late at night. Also the hills in the centre of town get on my wick. Similarly Montepulciano, I've stayed there but could not be bothered to walk back up the top after the first trip.

There are also other small ancient towns that others like and it is a pleasure to walk out in the evening once the tourists have left town, have a drink with the hot stone all around and, again, get up early and watch the town come to life.

At the farm will you have a pool?
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:40 AM

Since you have a car, I'd almost consider staying in one place in a central location.

In addition to Lucca and Siena, I loved Orvieto and thought it would be a nice base. Once one is at the top, the town, unlike some of the other hill towns, is flat. We never drove, but many suggest Orvieto as a convenient spot to drop off car and take train to Rome.

Please write a TR when you return and have a super time!
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Okay, this is great stuff. Now let me add; a pool is not important because it will be in April. Also, if I stay in a town close to Siena instead of Siena, do you have any suggestions that are "car" friendly? The farm in Lucca is lovely but I would also like to have a town experience in the other stop. I am going to do some homework but I have to admit it intimidates me when I read about cars not really being inside the city walls as it were. I'm rambling. sorry.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 09:37 AM

Bilboburgler's suggestions are good ones.

Pienza would be a great place to base yourself. Small town but very cute and authentic. A bit crowded with tourists during the day but you'll likely be exploring at that time. In the evening it quiets down and is perfect for a stroll and some spectacular views. Tons of great places to eat. Easy parking just outside town as well. Close to lots of other great Southern Tuscan spots like Montepulciano, Montalcino, San Quirico, Montefollonico, etc. Easy trip to Sienna if you wanted to visit.

Sam Gimignano is a bigger town, similar difference between day/night.

One other thoguht could be putting yourself in the heart of Chianti. Greve, Gaiole, Castellina, Radda. These are small towns but nice and the mountains of Chianti have a very different look and feel than the rolling hills of Southern Tuscany.

You won't be disappointed in ANY of these places (or Sienna for that matter, IMO).

Sienna is an relatively easy day trip from any of these places if it is someplace you want to see.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 05:16 AM

From Lucca, you can easily explore Lucca itsself, Pisa and Firenze. Staying on a farm is generally a most beautiful experience, with lots of historic ambiance, tranquility, good food and wine.

For the southern part of Tuscany, a second base makes sense. The most interesting destinations are IMO Siena, San Gimignano, Volterra and Populonia. Travelwise, Volterra would be the best base (if you want to include Populonia), otherwise any of the towns would make a good base.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Really appreciate it. I'll Keep you posted.