Reload this Page >

6 hours layover in Heathrow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 07:27 AM
nanette

Any ideas on what to do??? We're flying from Calif. to Venice with a layover of 6 hours. Our luggage will go straight to Venice, so that isn't a problem (just the layover IS!!).

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Alan Munson

I suggest taking a taxi to Windsor for lunch and a quick tour. Its about 20 minutes to drive and costs about 25 GBP each way. There is also bus service but would take too much time.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Betsy

When I opened this thread my intent was to suggest going to Windsor, but Alan beat me to it. A good suggestion! You'll have time for a meal and a stroll along the river. If you happen to be there around 5:00 pm, check out the evensong service at the castle.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Red

Just be sure to leave yourself plenty of time as the security at Heathrow is very tight now and lines are long.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 09:05 AM
janis

nanette: the typical non-stop from the west coast lands at LHR very early in the morning. If so, there isn't really much for you to do other than stay at the airport. Most of my flights have landed between 6 and 7 AM and few places in Windsor are open before 10AM. <BR><BR>If your flight lands mid-day then you could make a quick dash over to Windsor. There is a minimum 2 hour check in requirement at LHR (some airlines require 3 hours). Plus, when you land you will likely have a VERY long walk from the gate to immigration and then to the taxi queue. Count on 30 - 45 minutes even without having to claim your bags. You would end up with 2 or maybe 3 hours in Windsor. Hopefully your carry-ons aren't too big or heavy since you'll have to schlep them to Windsor.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Lori

I must disagree with the last poster, if you are flying from LA you will more then likely arrive about 12 noon. Most of the airlines have flights that depart LA about 5:30 p.m. and all seem to arrive about the same time. Whatever, 6 hrs is not enough to go anyplace or do anything and not run the risk of missing your next flight (I'm conservative tho so I'd never attempt going out of the airport). There are lots of stores/shopping at Heathrow and you can even grab a shower there. Also a number of places to eat. Security can be rough, walks to the gates monumental (sometimes you have to take a bus from the gate to the plane because it's parked out in left field someplace). All of this is time consuming. I'd stay put - it may be boring, but 6 hr layovers usually are.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 11:51 AM
tom

Actually Lori, there are a few flights from the west coast in the evening. However, the vast majority of transatlantic flights from SeaTac, SFO and LAX depart morning or mid day and get to LHR or Gatwick between 5:30 and 7 AM<BR><BR>Not to say that is nanette's situation - just the most common one.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 01:36 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>I agree with Windsor<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Maggie

Hello Nanette,<BR>I agree with Lori, there is so much to do shoppingwise and eating wise at Heathrow, just relax and enjoy what the airport facilities have to offer before your flight to Venice.