6 hours in ZURICH

Dec 29th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

6 hours in ZURICH

i have a 6 hour layover in zurich on the way to rome- is this time enough to see anything? any good restaurant not to be missed? it seems a shame to stay in the airport when could at least catch a glimpse.
Dec 29th, 2003, 02:19 PM

I recently had a similar experience and made good use of it. I was also en route to Rome (with a connection onto Athens). You must be flying Swissair, I bet.

First, the train to the city center (Hauptbahnhof, I believe it's called) is about ten to fifteen minutes and runs very frequently. There're storage lockers at the airport. So you can get in and out of the airport from the city center very easily.

The main street leading to the train station is called Bahnhofstrasse. Lots of interesting shops. The other end is the lake (I forget what it's called). You can easily walk from one end to the other in about twenty minutes, and there're buses that travel this route as well. I stayed essentially on Bahnhofstrasse, but if your time permits, you can consider a cruise on the lake or you can even wander off to side streets on the left and/or right bank.

I can't help with restaurants, sorry.

I enjoyed my brief layover in Zuerich. It seemed more interesting than Geneva, where I had spent a day or two a few years ago. I bet you'll find plenty to enjoy during your couple of hours there. Have fun!
Dec 30th, 2003, 06:15 AM

If you walk down Bahnhofstrasse toward the lake, then make your return to the train station on the other side of the river. The 'old town' / pedestrian area is also interesting. There is a very basic map under the "Destinations" link on Fodors.com. Find 1) Bahnhofplatz (train station), then walk down 2) Bahnhofstrasse toward 3) Munster Brucke (bridge). Interesting streets, parks and churches in this general area. Cross there are at Quaibrucke (at the lake) and return to the train station, following 4) Limmatquai, and over a bit along 5) Neiderdorfstrasse. Cross back over the river at 6) Bahnhofbrucke and there you are.
Dec 30th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

thank you- very helpful. and yes, i am flying swissair!
Dec 30th, 2003, 06:37 AM

I liked them. On my return they were kind enough to reroute my flight to pass through Zuerich rather than Geneva because of an anticipated delay -- I think that there was a delay anyway, but they were quite nice.

If you're into Bally (I really like their shoes), you'll know of course they're based in Switzerland, and there's a store right on Bahnhofstrasse.

Have lots of fun!
Feb 18th, 2004, 04:26 PM

Have you done this stop-over??? How did it go? I am planning the same itinerary in late March. I am a lady traveling solo so I would like to know if it is advisable to o into Zurich for this short time. Lunch in Zurich sounds great...any suggestions???
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:40 PM
yk

sealady-

Don't pass up this opportunity, espcially if you haven't been to Zurich. The Swiss transport system is excellent, so you should not have trouble getting out to the city. Follow what Travelnut suggested. And don't miss out the church Fraumunster (next to Munster bridge). Pop in to take a look at the stained-glass by Marc Chagall.

Get some more ideas here:
http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ur_section=ove
Feb 20th, 2004, 05:09 AM

Thank you for your advice. I am going to do this little tour of Zurich. Now I have another question. Can I pay for my train ticket with Euros? Does anyone have a recommendation for a light lunch in Zurich near the route down the Bahnofstrasse or back up the Limmatquai? Thanks!
Feb 20th, 2004, 05:11 AM

Hi, Switzerland uses the Swiss Franc.

It may be good to research a bit about exchange rates before you go.

Presumably you could pay in Euros but the store would have to offer to convert into Swiss Francs.
Feb 20th, 2004, 07:15 AM

Good morning, Pinecone
Would take rail down to the Zurich Bahnhof and as stat4ed from the front of the station the Bahnhofstrasse runs
down to Burkliplatz about five to six blocks down the Bhanofstrasse is a street car junction, Paradeplatz, here is the confectionary SPRUNGLI. to the left (east) is the ristorante ZEUGHAUSKELLER and a 1/4 block down the Im Gassen is the Bierhalle KROPF.
On store up from the Paradeplatz and not to be missed is the FRANZ CARL WEBER,Bahnhofstrasse, 62 a more than excellant toy store..
Feb 20th, 2004, 07:33 AM
yk

sealady-

Get some Swiss Francs from an ATM in the Zurich airport before you head out to the city. Alternatively, you probably can just charge everything with your CC (train tix, meals).

Don't have any suggestions for restaurants, but if you type "Zurich restaurants" on the search box above, you should be able to find some old threads that have suggestions.

If you are a chocolate fan, don't forget to pick up some chocolates. The 2 good ones are Teuscher & Sprungli. Sprungli has a cafe/cake shop/chocolate shop right on Bahnhofstrasse, so you can take a break there. Both brands also have stores in the airport as well.
Feb 20th, 2004, 07:39 AM

Hi pinecone, my family flew Swiss Air on 12/20 LAX-Zurich for 6 hours then on to Rome. We took the train into Zurich from the airport and walked across the bridge in front of the train station to an old section of the city. We walked on a small very old road that paralleled the river headed towards the lake.

Towards the end of this road I believe there was a church with about 3 rows of steps that we walked down to enable us to cross a bridge over the river.

Then we headed to Bahnhofstrsse with it's beautiful stores and window displays.

The people were extremely polite, considerate and helpful. I'll try to find the name of the restaurant in which we had lunch. What shocked me most of all was how the trains were quiet, the people spoke politely, the serenity of the city.

==Mike
Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:21 AM

OK, for restaurants in Zurich, I have tried to include many restaurants on the river with outside eating areas, in the hopes that you will get a sunny day and be able to get outside and enjoy the river and scenery. If it is sunny and about 45F most of these will have tables out (the Swiss are very hardy). I have suggested mainly casual places where you can have a meal in abut an hour or less, as I assume you don't want a full-blown formal lunch with Swiss specialties, if so go to the Kronehall (4 Ramistrasse, tel 01 251 6669, you would need a reservation).

Most restaurants do not serve lunch after about 2 pm, and except for the Kronehall, you would not need a reservation. I have grouped this in descending geographic distance from the Hautbanhof (the main train station). A good street map of Zurich with an index will help you a lot, as streets are not laid out in a grid.

On the same side of the river as the Hautbanhof:

1. Brasserie Restaurant Lipp
Uraniastrasse 9
Zürich 01 211 11 55

Popular local restaurant with Swiss and European dishes. No outside seating. Go down Bahnhofstrasse to Uraniastrasse, which is the first intersection with a light and cars crossing. Go left onto Uraniastrasse. After lunch continue down Uraniastrasse to the river and across or go up to the Lindenhof.

2. Juice Market
Augustinergasse 01 211 69 33

Located in one of Zurich?s most romantic little alleys. Delicious fresh pressed juices and hearty sandwiches.

3. Sprungli
21 Banhofstrasse

Famous chocolate shop with a restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, dinner and ice cream. Nice on a sunny day to sit outside, not sure it is worth it unless you can sit outside, as there are other better choices for inside dining. The restaurant is about ? mile down Banhofstrasse at the intersection of Banhofstrasse and Paradaplatz on the right.

4. Restaurant Bierhalle Kropf
In Gassen 16
Zurich Telephone 01 221 1805

Swiss specialties in a nice setting in the old town.

5. Hotel zum Storchen
Am Weinplatz. 2
Zürich 01 227 27

Has a very good restaurant on the first floor with Swiss specialties (expensive and formal), a lobby bar serving tea and drinks with a fireplace (good for rainy afternoons), and the Barchetta bar, which serves food in the Colonnade Café and sometimes has outdoor tables with heaters along the water.

6. Cafe Wuehre,
Wuehre 11
Zurich tel 01 211 26 53

A few houses down from the Hotel zum Storchen, closer to the Fraumunster, on a narrow pedestrian-only street right along the river. A wonderful little cafe. Very popular, so come early or make a reservation, esp on weekends. Great location right along the Limmat river in the midst of some interesting shops (bring plenty of money).

On the other side of the river from the main train station:

7. Adler?s Swiss Chuchi
Adler's Hotel
Hirschenplatz Tel: 01 266 9696.

Known for their fondue. They also have rachlette and Fondue Chinoise, which is piece of beef and vegetables which you cook in stock. In the Neiderdorf area, charming cobblestone streets and car?free. A bit touristy, but they have menus in English and the food is good.

8. Kantorei
Spiegelgasse 33
Intersection with Neumarkt
Zürich 01 252 27 27

Very good Italian and fusion Italian-Asian food. Interesting part of the old town, a few blocks off the river.

9. Zum Grünen Glas
Untere Zäune 15
Zürich Phone: 01-2516504

Very good French food in a lovely old building. This restaurant is a bit hard to locate, as it on a side street up a hill in the old town kind of near the University, but worth the walk and hunt for it. You might need 2 hours to really enjoy the experience.

10. Rathaus-Café
Limmatquai 61
Zürich 01 261 07 70

Casual bar and restaurant, nice spot on the river, esp the outdoor tables.

11. Gran Cafe
Limmatquai 66
Zürich 01 252 31 19

Standard café food, good people watching at their outdoor tables.

12. Café Walthi
Schoffegasse 3
Zurich 01 262-0906

Great crepes. Extremely casual, not expensive lots of university students.

13. WINGS Airline Bar
Limmatquai 54
Zürich 043 268 40 55

Casual bar and restaurant. Very good wrap sandwiches. Run by former employees of Swiss Air.

14. Molino
Limmatquai 16
Zürich 01 252 43 72

Good basic pizzas and Italian food. Nice location on the river looking onto the Fraumunster.

15. Café Terrasse
Limmatquai 3
Zurich 01 251 1074

A bit more upscale and interesting menu, a funky bar and restaurant. Very nice outdoor terrace, but only in the summer.

16 Odéon
Limmatquai 2
Zürich 01 251 16 50

A Zurich institution, Lenin used to eat here. Pub food, including great soups. Clientele is heavily gay men, but you will not feel unwelcome or uncomfortable.

17. Vorderer Sternen
Restaurant Sterne Foifi
Theatrestrasse 22
(at Bellevue tram stop)
Zurich 01-251-4949

Very good restaurant service European and Swiss specialties. If you can get a window seat (upstairs or downstairs) you will get a good view of the tram station and lake. The serve pretty much all day. They also have a restaurant behind called Rosalys, which I have never eaten at.

18 ..Sternen Grill Bratwurst Stand
Freitgasse and Theatrstrasse
Next door to Vorderer Sternen

Next door to Vorderer Sternen is their famous bratwurst stand. Just look for the line, it is all outdoors. They have tables (outside only). A glass of beer and a bratwurst and you are a Zuricher! Great people watching as well. Not expensive, bratwurst starts at about $5. FYI, most bratwurst in Switzerland is veal, not pork. It is really delicious.

19. Tibits
Seefeldstrasse 2
Zürich ZH * 01 260 32 22

Casual, good food. Picnic tables outside. This is just past the Opera House on the right.

Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:19 AM

To Cicerone's exhaustive list of restaurants, I wish to add one more, a favourite of mine in Zurich. It is the Hiltl restaurant, just off Bahnhofstrasse (on Sihlstrasse, I think). It serves a delightful Indian vegetarian dinner buffet. It is supposedly Europe's oldest vegetarian restaurant.

See -

http://www.hiltl.ch/f_main_e/f-main.htm
Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:00 PM

Wow! Thank you for the information. Now I only wish that I had more time to spend!
Feb 24th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Pincone, it sounds like you're flying out of LA TO Rome. What are your travel dates? If you already completed the trip, how did your Zurich adventure/trip go? Mike
Feb 24th, 2004, 08:54 AM

I guess I just asked a silly question as I noticed you just added a reply yesterday. Let us know how everything went upon your return. Have A Great Trip!!! Mike
Feb 24th, 2004, 09:06 AM

I'm having one of "those" days. Sealady responded yesterday not Pincone. Mike
Feb 26th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

haha- here I am. Actually I am flying from Washington DC to Rome, through Zurich. I am leaving March 27 and returning April 4. From the looks of all these posts I should have scheduled a trip to Zurich with a layover in Rome instead!
Mar 18th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Thank you all. I'm leaving next Wednesday and have this exact problem. Now I have something to do to occupy my time while in Zurich.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO