6 Hour layover in Madrid

Search

6 Hour layover in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 Hour layover in Madrid

With a 6 hour layover in Madrid, would it be convenient to leave the airport and explore for a few hours or will that be too much of a hassle? I heard the Madrid airport is really nice.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:58 AM

I wouldn't do it. Although the city is less than half hour by taxi, by the time you disembark, do passport control and get a taxi that will shave 30-45 mins. And then you will need to be back at least 2 hrs before your next flight if it is an intl flight. If you do the math, time in Madrid proper will be barely 2 hrs.

The new terminal, Terminal 4 is very nice. The others, not so much. Which airline are you flying?
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:07 PM

If you have any interest in making your flight, I wouldn't try this. It's not a bad airport to hang out in.
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM

I did it--read all about it here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...or-2-hours.cfm

You have to be willing to splash out for the cab, and be flexible--for example, if your flight is late, or the passport line takes too long, then be content to sit tight. Otherwise, I say go for it.
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:55 PM

Harby, Along with the link yorkshire posted, there was another thread by 111op who wanted to visit some exhibition at Prado and had roughly the same time as you do. Let me put your thread to the top in case 111op or someone else remembers the link.
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:04 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...o-and-back.cfm
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Wow, I'm impressed. People remember that thread from two years ago?!

I took a look at the other thread that yorkshire posted (sometimes I'm just too embarrassed to look at my own thread written so long ago ). If there's something I'll add, it'd be to try to save time if you can by not storing a bag. I think I took it with me and went to coat check at Prado. Because I got there before the museum opened, I actually had to kill time at a local Starbucks.

Basically it can be done if things go well since the cab ride should be less than half an hour (about 20 minutes, I think). Of course make sure you have your boarding pass before you leave so all you have to do is to clear security when you return.
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:02 PM

There can only be two reasons. Some of us are impressionable. And some of us are impressive. Pick one or both
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Oh yes 111op, I remember! And I thought you had a lot of guts, which obviously I don't have. It is not for the faint of heart!
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM

I keep telling myself I need to be more careful what I write on here. I usually think that no one is reading, but evidently not.
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Okay, the third reason could be... your post just seemed quite crazy at the time but to your credit, you were able to do it so I remembered it.

Now you have three options to choose from and if you ask me, none are really that bad, Man
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Yeah, I do remember something about that thread -- you'll notice that I'm gracefully not bringing it up. But I remember afterwards that I posted some photos on Picasa just in case there's doubt.

Well I'm impressionable, impressive and sometimes crazy. So I plead guilty to all three.
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:57 AM

Depends on the times of day of your arrival & departure. If it's too early in the AM, you won't find much open in Madrid (i.e., like the Prado or the Reina Sofia).

If you arrive early morning, I would suggest a trip to Barajas Pueblo for a breakfast of Churros con Chocolate at Toribio's on the plaza. Then you can catch a Bus or Taxi back to the airport.

I've been there; done that; but you might say we had an unfair advantage. We caught a Madrid City Bus to Barajas Pueblo and called some relatives to meet us at Toribio's. Cousin Carlos took us back to the airport.
BTW
Toribio's is open from 0500 to 1100; and that's where many aircrews meet for breakfast: They make their own Churros and they are outstanding. The Chocolate is so rich & thick you can stand a spoon in it.
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:59 AM

Ned: I always wonder about Barajas town..is it a nice place to stroll around, with several restaurants?
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:30 AM

ekscrunchy: Sorry, I haven't stopped for a meal other than breakfast there in Barajas Pueblo, although there is the 5-Star Hotel Barajas on Avda de Logrono (sp.) that should have a restaurant. We have dined at el Pato Mudo in the Hotel Diana: very good. I believe the Chef is from the Valencia region, so Paella should be a safe bet. Niece is a Veggie so she had a vegetarian Pizza there.

The village is walkable, although it seemed like a real hike to get from the Plaza to the Metro Station. There's an open market (I don't know what days) on your right as you come into town from Madrid. Relatives live in Almeda de Osuna, a nice upscale neighborhood about 10-min from Barajas pueblo.