Reload this Page >

6 hour layover in Heathrow - help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 10:38 AM
karen

Hi all,<BR>Any suggestions what to do with a 6 hour layover in Heathrow? It is from 7:30 am to 1:30 pm. Would it be cutting it close to go into London or is there anything close to Heathrow to visit?<BR>Thanks.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Kate B

I think you could do it okay. Heathrow isn't too far out of London.<BR><BR>I suggest you take the Heathrow Express into Paddington, which takes around 20-25 minutes and is very fast. From there you could either get a taxi or the Underground to Trafalgar Square, then walk down Whitehall to the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben and then to Westminster Abbey and the Thames. It wouldn't take too long at all, as all those things are close together as well as being major "must-sees".<BR><BR>Best<BR><BR>Kate B.<BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 11:10 AM
traveller

Boy, I really disagree with Kate. Say you land at 7:30, you still need to make it from your gate, through customs, and to the Heathrow Express. If you are truly lucky that will take 1/2 hour, but probably more like 45 minutes or an hour. Then the train needs to get there and you make it into London, that's another in the best of all possible worlds 45 minutes, and to allow for problems let's say an hour or an hour 15 minutes. So to be safe, that makes a realistic 2 hours and 15 minutes to get into the city. Allowing the same hour and 15 minutes to get back, that makes in 3.5 hours. Then when you get back to the airport, you need to get back through security screening and to your gate, which can easily eat up 1.5 hours. That makes 5 hours, which would give you an hour in the city. Since many, many, many things can go wrong, adding a great deal of time to this timetable, I would strongly suggest you stay in the airport, read, shop, eat, drink, etc. Unless a missed connection doesn't bother you.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 12:58 PM
sss

I say cab it into London book lunch at Rules, hang out in Trafalgar square for a bit, maybe run around the National Gallery. Cab it back. Will in noway take you 2.5 hours each way. Costly yes worth it yes again. You think about how much time you need at your gate before check in. You can certainly have lunch and visit trafalgar square.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 01:00 PM
sss

Thing is if this is a transatlantic redeye you will be exhausted and Heathrow airport has so many shops and cafes might as well just stay here.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Grasshopper

If you try it, don't take a cab all the way into London. Definately take the Heathrow Express. It's a 15 minute ride from Terminal 3 (20 from Terminal 4) to Paddington. Taxis have a traffic issue the Express doesn't have. From Paddington take a taxi to whereever it is you would like to go; Trafalgar, Harrods, Buckingham Palace..... Then reverse the order. If you want votes, I would do it, provided your bags are checked through and you have your boarding pass for the next segment.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:20 PM
janis

DEFINITELY CUTTING IT TOO CLOSE! Everyone focuses on the 15 minutes the LHR Express takes to get to Paddington. Well, that 30 minutes (15 each way) is the least of your problems. Add 45 to 90 minutes to walk a loooooong way from the gate and to clear customs and immigration. Another 10 to 15 minutes X 2 walk to/from the train station. Then at rush hour, a 20 to 35 minute wait at Paddington for a taxi. Then a 2+ hour advance check in for your ongoing flight.<BR><BR>As you see - most of your 6 hours is totally eaten up and you haven't seen a darn thing.<BR><BR>If you just HAVE to get out of the airport - then catch a cab at LHR and go to Windsor. It is only about 7 miles from LHR to Windsoe and you could get there in 10 to 15 minutes and have a couple of hours for a quick look around, briefly visit the Castle and stop in a pub.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:19 PM
karen

All,<BR><BR>Thank you SO MUCH for your insights. So far, it is 50:50 to go to London or stay at the airport. I certainly can't chance missing the flight, but I like this Windsor idea that Janis brought up. Can anyone offer more info on Windsor? Janis mentioned 7 miles from the airport, but is that highway traffic or slow moving ? How much would the cab ride be there? Thanks!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:25 PM
beth anderson

with a 730 landing time, chances are you would be in London by 9 AM or 930 at the latest. assuming you want to be back at Heathrow by noon (where will your luggage be? checked through?) you have at least 2 hours to wander around.<BR><BR>you could take a pretty stroll around Little Venice, for example.<BR><BR>Windsor is also a good suggestion..<BR><BR>Beth

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:47 PM
karen

Hi Beth,<BR><BR>Thanks for your thoughts. I am intrigued by this "Little Venice". Where is it in London? If anyone has info on how much a taxi is to Windsor, and more importantly, can I get a taxi back to Heathrow easily from Windsor?<BR><BR>Karen

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Leslie

Windsor is a great idea. It's about a 10 - 15 min. cab ride. I'm sure you could get a return cab no problem. You could tour Windsor Castle which is splendid. The town is very quaint, lots of shops, and pubs, the river and Eton just across the river... and the great park.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 09:18 PM
karen

Leslie,<BR>Thanks, and you prompted me to think about having breakfast in Windsor near the castle. Anyone have suggestions?<BR><BR>Karen

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:26 AM
beth anderson

Karen, <BR><BR>Little Venice - if you go to Warwick Avenue tube, you'll be there. Bakerloo Line from Paddington. One stop I believe... what makes it nice is it's so close to Paddington, and the Heathrow Express to zip you back to Heathrow.<BR><BR>You didn't say - are you flying on BA? If so, it will take 20-25 mins to get into town, if any other terminal - then only 15 minutes. which terminal do you fly into? (BA has its own).<BR><BR>lotsa very nice houses along there - v. expensive part of town. the canal is gorgeous, and little pubs, restaurants, etc. just kinda wander. <BR><BR>before you go, just pop into Borders and do a little reading on Little Venice. I think you'll enjoy the morning, I really do..<BR><BR>(then again, I am a jetlag-warrior - you'd BLANCHE at the things I attempt the morning I get in, anywhere. sleep? I'll sleep when I'm dead! (thanks Warren Z)<BR><BR>Beth