Search

6 days in Lisbon - please help me plan!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2022, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 days in Lisbon - please help me plan!

Planning 6 days in Lisbon

After 3 days in Sintra, we will be in Lisbon for 6 nights. I would like to have a loose idea of how to organize the sightseeing. We would rather see 1 or 2 major sights in a day and spend the rest of the time exploring a particular neighborhood or neighborhoods. I don’t really understand how the areas relate to one another, so trying to coordinate which sights to see is confusing. We may or may not take a day trip, but if we do, it would likely be to Cascais. We’d rather spend our time getting to know Lisbon at a leisurely pace.

We arrive on a Sunday afternoon and are staying in an apartment in Chiado, and we leave the following Saturday to stay in Evora. I’d love to block out the Lisbon days loosely. The museums that I’m most interested in seeing are the Gulbenkian, the Museo Nacional do Azulejo, the Museu Nacional de Arts Antiga. The monastery in Belem. And perhaps the Coach museum. Those seem to be the ones that interest me the most, but we often drop into smaller museums when we’re in an area. We love seeing museums but won’t spend all day or even half a day in one, so we have plenty of time to explore.

Suggestions on how to do this would be most welcome!

Sunday - arrive in the afternoon. Wander Chiado, and more

Monday - AM - walking tour overview : Bairro Alto, Chiado, Baixa, Alfama and Graça

Afternoon - Should we see the Gulbenkian since it’s open today when other museums are closed? I’m not wedded to the idea since I’d rather focus on exploring and we can see the museum later in the week. Perhaps the area around the Time Out market?

Tuesday - Alfama? A museum? Another area?

Wednesday - Belém / Monastery . Anywhere else?

Thursday- Gulbenkian, if we haven’t already seen it? What area to explore?

Friday- whatever we haven’t seen! A day trip, if we feel we need one, but I have a feeling we would rather explore the city more.

Suggestions most welcome to help me organize our visit!

Obrigada!

Old Apr 7th, 2022, 09:16 AM

progol,
We just returned from a 7-night repeat stay in Lisbon and organized our sightseeing days by neighborhood.

Our first afternoon: walking down the gorgeous, elegant Avenida da Liberdade from our hotel, up to the Chiado to see what was new (but no shopping until later!)

For your Sunday, since you'll already be in Chiado, you can wander and from Chiado take the metro escalators down to Baixa and wander down to Lisbon's gateway, the Praça do Comércio (it will be packed!) and take the elevator up to the top of the Arco do Triunfo for glorious views of the city. From there you can also wander west to Cais do Sodré, the area around the Time Out market, where people will be sunning on the lounge chairs next to the river if it's a beautiful day.

In the evening (or some evening, maybe later when more restaurants are open--Sun. is a tough night for nice restaurants) also check out the Bairro Alto, above Chiado, as it gets very lively at night (sleepy during the day). But on Sunday night for The Insólito roof top terrace above the Miradouro de Alcántara is closed.

Monday--that's a lot to accomplish in one day!! We split it into two parts, Chiado, Baixa, Bairro Alto one day and another day Graça and Alfama, which go together nicely. If you get an early start to get a seat, you can catch tram 28 at Martim Moniz and go up to the Graça church (wonderful views--they're building a funicular up to it) and work your way down through Alfama, or catch a taxi to Graça and work your way down, but.....on Monday you won't be able to see the gorgeous tiles at the Mosteiro de São Vicente de Fora because Mon. is the closing day (we had to do this later) and also the closing day for the National Pantheon (church of Santa Engrácia) and its tombs. You may want to do the Alfama on another day.

Tuesday--Alfama is better today, to see the two monuments mentioned above, National Pantheon and Mosteiro de São Vicente de Fora, and end up at the Sé (Cathedral).
In the afternoon, you could uber or bus it out to the wonderful Tile Museum, which shouldn't missed, not only for its stunning collection of tiles, but also for its equally stunning Baroque chapel, dripping with gold.

Wednesday--Belém will take up much of your day, as there's so much to take in, you'll probably want to pick and choose!!! Its treasures are vast!

I would head first, with tickets in hand to the Mosteiro Jerónimos before the tour buses and cruise groups arrive, starting at 11. We went to Pastéis de Belém first, at 9:30, then Jerónimos at 10, then backtracked to the Museu Nacional de Coches (the wonderful Carriage Museum). The train from Cais de Sodré has a stop across the street from it and you can also reach Belém by Travessa 15 (pickpocket infested). Then we crossed the highway via the underground passageway to the Monument to the Discoveries, then made our walk along the river to the Torre de Belém. But...in Belém you also have the vast and interesting Maritime Museum, tracing the Age of the Discoveries, and the Centro Cultural de Belém (CCB) with its contemporary art Berardo Museum (with works of Botero, Chagall, Dalí, Ernst, Koons, Magritte, Picasso).

On our first Belém, when we were much younger, we did it ALL, and I can't believe that we really did it!
For a breather and refreshment stop, there's a new branch of the acclaimed Confeitaria Nacional next to the Torre de Belém, with outdoor seating and wait service. They serve their famous nata of course and also nice sandwiches. There's also a new Manteigaria (more nata) on Rua de Belém 31, across from the Antiga Confeitaria Pastéis de Belém, if the latter is packed. We're always able to find table seating in the vast back dining rooms but sometimes we have to wait a few minutes until someone vacates a table.
https://confeitarianacional.com

Thursday--I would do the Gulbenkian first and combine it with the Parque de Eduardo VII. You could start with the Gulbenkian (2 hours), then work your way over to the Park for exploring its beauty and to visit the Estufa Fria (greenhouse), From there it's all downhill, past the Champs Elysées modeled Avenida da Liberdade. Cute outdoor quiosques here for a refreshment break and to admire the fin de siècle architecture.

Friday----we were going to do a day trip to Mafra, but there's so much to explore in Lisbon, that we postponed it until our October visit. You may want to use this day as your "mop up" day to hit the museums, monuments or neighborhoods, like the Estrela Basilica and Estrela Park or the Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga, Portugal's National Gallery, in Santos (the ceramics, the decorative arts, the Bosch and other Masters).

Lots and lots to do!

Old Apr 7th, 2022, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

You are truly the best! It’s daunting trying to figure out how the different areas relate to one another in Lisbon since the map is flat but Lisbon is not!

I’ve scheduled a walking tour for Monday morning that is an overview (doesn’t enter any sites) that will cover Bairro Alto, Chiado, Baixa, Alfama and Graça - I wouldn’t try to do it all on our own! I’m figuring we will return the next day to Alfama and spend time there.

I need to mull over all your suggestions but it feels like I’ve at least got an approach to Lisbon. There is so much to see! And we are very much city folk so I want to give us enough time to soak in what we can. Of course, we won’t see it all, but I’d like to see some of those main sights and get a feel for the different neighborhoods. I find it so funny to look up suggested itineraries for “6 days in Lisbon” and, inevitably, 3 of them are day trips!

Your youthful “packed” day reminds me of our one full day in Toledo - we must’ve seen every sight there was and walked up and down everywhere! I think my husband thought I was nuts, but now he loves remembering it all!😁 No, I’m not trying to do that anymore!

Last edited by progol; Apr 7th, 2022 at 09:33 AM.
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 10:36 AM

On top of the hill for the street car, below the fort therei is the Fundação Ricardo do Espírito Santo Silva which contains furniture from Portugal 17th and 17th cent. explorations and colonies:

https://flic.kr/p/2gwtwpF
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Michael! I’ve enjoyed (and still enjoy) many of your travel photos and will add this to my list.
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 11:00 AM

progol,
While I hate to add yet another museum to the mix.....if you have time while strolling down the Avenida da Liberdade below the Marqués de Pombal square, there's a relatively undiscovered decorative arts gem that I enjoyed even more than the Ricardo do Espírito Santo Silva Foundation, primarily because the collector, like Calouse Gulbenkian, had exquisite taste and every item is beautifully displayed in this mansion-Casa Museu Medeiros E Almeida

Rua Rosa Araújo, 41, across from the Vincci Liberdade and Port Bay Marqués hotels and two blocks above the Avenida da Liberdade, is set in the former mansion of an art collector and industrialist, one of Portugal’s wealthiest men, and gives the visitor a glimpse of the opulence of this elegant district in the 19th-century.

This museum is an unsung gem (think NYC’s Frick or London’s Wallace Collection). Displayed here are Medeiros e Almeida’s priceless collection of European paintings (including a Ribera, a Rembrant, a Delacroix, two Brueghels, a Gainsborough and a Tiepolo), Flemish tapestries, one of the world’s finest collections of clocks, watches, fountains from Versailles, English and Portuguese silverware, a tea set used by Napoleon, ceramics, furniture and 18th-century azulejos. Medeiros e Almeida and his wife lived here until 1970, and the twenty-five rooms have been kept exactly as they were used on a daily basis. Open Monday-Saturday from 10:00 pm to 5:00 pm with last entrance at 4:30 pm. Admission is 5€ or 3€ for seniors, but free on Saturdays from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm.
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 11:11 AM

Photos of the Casa Museu Medeiros e Almeida

Old Apr 7th, 2022, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Ohhh, Maribel! So many places to see! This does look wonderful, too, so I’ll just have to see how much we can actually manage. 6 days is already not enough!
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 12:30 PM

Two more photos from the Fundação Ricardo do Espírito Santo Silva, which as Michael notes, makes a nice visit after the Cathedral (Sé) and they have a nice gift shop.

Old Apr 7th, 2022, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Sigh…
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 02:04 PM

Progol, I also want to add that when you are in Belem, I highly recommend taking the elevator to the top of the Padrao dos Descobrimentos (The Discoveries Monument) for stunning views of the monastery, river and the Belem Tower. There were no lines while there were very long lines at Belem Tower. According to my notes, it was Thursdays and Maribel who recommended doing this. And someone said, don't remember who, that the views from the Discoveries Monument are better than the views from Belem Tower.

It is definitely wise to buy your tickets ahead of time online for the Jeronimos Monastery. We didn't do that, and we had a long wait. So, while in Belem, we visited the Monastery, The Discoveries Monument, had lunch by the river, and our last stop was the Coach Museum. According to my trip report, we left Belem at 4PM and took a taxi back to our hotel. So visiting Belem is a whole day adventure.

When you visit the Mosteiro De Sao Vicente De Fora, be sure to go to the rooftop terrace for more awesome views of Lisbon and the river. It was very quiet when we there in April 2018.

If you get tired from walking up and down all those hills, taxis are very inexpensive. We were there a year before I had hip replacement surgery, and my hip was starting to bother me, so we did use taxis a lot. Very affordable, at least in 2018. Not sure if that has changed since gas prices have increased everywhere.
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 02:24 PM

Karen,
Taxis are still inexpensive in Lisbon and uber works as well.
Our taxi ride from the airport to the Hotel Britânia off the Avenida da Liberdade cost only 15 euros, including the luggage supplement. We grabbed a taxi from the departures area upstairs rather than from arrivals, as advised, and the taxi driver took the shortest route possible in the rush hour traffic--very honest. We could have taken an Uber but the "Kiss & Fly" area where the ubers are allowed to pick up and drop off wasn't well marked. Once the taxi departed, we figured out where it was.

Our taxi to Belém cost 8 euros. We could have taken a train from Cais do Sodré (the same train line that goes to Cascais), as its Belém stop is right across from the Coach Museum, but it would have required a long walk from the Avenida, and we wanted to beat the crowds, which we did! We also wanted to avoid the modern tram E15 that departs from Praça da Figueira, as pickpockets do a brisk business on it.

Here's the official online ticket purchasing page for the Jerónimos Monastery and many more Portugal monuments. It goes into Portuguese at the beginning of the purchase process, but you can figure it out. Start by choosing Jerónimos and then click on Bilhetes, then inside the photo, click on "Mostrar Datas Disponíveis". Choose a date, then enter quantity, number of desired tickets. My Visa worked with no problems. Standard tickets cost €10; €5 for seniors.
https://bilheteira.patrimoniocultural.pt/pos/space/list.
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 03:28 PM

As mentioned by other posters : Lisbon is VERY hilly.
When I visited it rained a few times, walking down the tile covered slippery streets was an unexpected challenge !
Comfortable shoes are recommended!

Last edited by danon; Apr 7th, 2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

KarenWoo and Maribel - thanks for the suggestions - the views from the Discoveries Monument sound great. And wow, the prices of taxis are very low - definitely not NYC prices!

Damon - I just got some very comfortable walking shoes! I’m preparing for those hills!

Maribel - I was looking into cards for tourists, and read that doesn’t pay to get the Lisboa Card for seniors since they often get 50% off, but the best pass to get is the viva viagem for transportation. Do you know if this is accurate? Where would we get it? Could we use it to travel to or from Sintra?
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 05:25 PM

No, please don't get the Lisboa Card! These city cards, now ubiquitous, are never really a great deal unless you are constantly on the go. We received a 50% sr. discount at many monuments.
You can get a Viva Viagem card at the airport upon arrival or at a metro or rail station at a machine. Yes, it's good on the train from Rossio to Sintra.

https://www.portugalvisitor.com/port...el/viva-viagem.
https://www.metrolisboa.pt/en/buy/viva-viagem-card/.
https://www.lisbonguru.com/viva-viag...h-card-to-buy/.
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks, Maribel! That was my understanding so don’t worry, we won’t waste our money on the tourist cards! We are both 65+ and I love that there are discounts for seniors on transportation and so many sights.
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 06:38 PM

progol,
Been going through my husband's Gulbenkian Museum photos, and it's really an uncrowded, delightful museum, as is the Museu National de Arte Antigua, where I wanted very much to see the Zurbarán room, a favorite Spanish Baroque favorite of mine, in addition to its ceramic collection. I fondly remember a major Zurbarán exhibit at the Met many years ago.
Some photos-

Chinese porcelain collection

Camille Monet by Renoir

Degas

The Zurbarán saints at the Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga

John Singer Sergeant

Precious carpets at the Gulbenkian
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Everyone who’s been there has sung its praises! And it looks so peaceful - thank you for the photos!
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 03:21 PM

progol,
It is very peaceful and easy to reach from the Chiado-Baixa metro to the São Sebastião station, then short walk downhill.

This is what happens when you fail to accept the multibanco's trickily offered exchange rate into dollars. Oops! Learned quickly from that mistake.

When 100 euros turns into 128 USD

Old Apr 12th, 2022, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Whoa, that is a hefty change fee! I will try to keep that lesson uppermost in my mind!

3 weeks to go! Yes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -