Reload this Page >

6 days in Germany around Nurnberg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 01:22 PM
Dmitry Berdichevsky

I would like to spend 6 days in Germany around Nurnberg. I would appritiate names of the towns, churches, castles and palaces, natural sights or <BR>evan one-two days trips from Nurnberg. <BR>Thanks

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 04:03 PM
John Grant

<BR>Get a railpass and take trains to surrounding towns and cities. Visit Munich (many attractions, especially Nymphenburg Palace and Bavarian State Museum), Ingolstadt (Bavarian Army Museum), Garmish-Partenkierke (just beautiful town). Back in Nurnberg don't miss the Transportation Museum, one of the best.

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 05:52 AM
Lee

Dmitry: There will be much to see in Nurenburg and plenty nearby, as well. By all means, take the advice and see Munich. The Marienplatz and Nymphenburg palace are worth the trip. Garmisch is not far from Munich and all are easily accessable by rail. Near (very) Garmisch is Ettal, Linderhof castle (beautiful!) and Oberammergau. See them all. Take the train from Nurenburg to Fussen and see Neuschwanstein castle and Hohenschwangau. Also from Nurenburg, take a jaunt to Rothenburg and maybe Dinkelsbuhl. Two delightful towns of rich cultural heritage. If you go to Nurenburg, I suggest all of these as "must see". You'll love Bavaria! Have fun!

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 08:17 AM
Kay

When I researched my last trip to Germany (Oct. 97) I noticed that many guidebooks called Bamberg "the prettiest town in Germany." So we went. And it was. It is a true treasure. Hundreds of beautiful ancient, picturesque buildings on a lovely river. Because Bamberg was not destroyed in either the Thirty Year's War or WWII (which makes it unique in Germany in that respect), the buildings exist back through a thousand years of architectural variety. And it's a real, thriving town, not a tourist destination like Rothenburg, which is wonderful of course, but a bit artificial. <BR>Bamberg is the real deal. It is about a two-hour drive north of Nurnberg. <BR> <BR>While in Nurnberg, be sure to search for the old Nazi parade grounds. That and many buildings built by the master Nazi architect Albert Speer are chilling to see. This is in the southeast corner of Nurnberg.

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 09:28 AM
Arizona

When we went to Nurnberg, we asked at a tourist bureau where that great Nazi stadium and parade ground was located. Nobody would tell us; they gave us the cold stare. A young person motioned us aside, and told us just how to get to the Zeppelin Field -- which is what they call it. In fact, before it was appropriated by the Nazis, it was just that: a landing field for great airships. It was quite easy to find. But Albert Speer and Co. built it of poor-quality stone, and it is slowly falling apart. Kids used the bad side of it as a backboard for tennis practice. Weeds grew up between the seats of the stadium. And, of course, in 1945 American troops used dynamite to destroy the great swastika that loomed above the reviewing stand. As for Bamberg, all said above is true -- it's marvelous. Be sure to try their splendid local beer, called "rauchbier" or smoked beer, found no place else in Germany and not exported. It has a most appealing smokey flavor. We were told it "did not travel well." We carried away plenty -- in our tummies.

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 10:14 AM
Lynda

You will be located within easy touring distance of many of the most beautiful places in Germany. Go to <BR>Wurzburg, Rothenburg, Fussen, Munich, Regensburg, Passau...I could go on and on. They are all beautiful. Absolutely beautiful churches in Munich and Regensburg and Passau. Passau has the largest pipe organ in the world. The church is so pretty. You can hear an organ concert at 12 noon each day. You might rent a car for the week. Most of these places are in a couple of hours reach.